News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

My Tips for Building Active Community!

Started by alex30, January 25, 2009, 11:16:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

STS

I actually posted on Craigslist last month, but it only let me post in 1 section at a time.

Good suggestions.

I'm always a bit leery of posting under a different name. Even if it helps to look active at first, people will wonder where those "active members" went - any why they aren't posting (esp. if you have a smaller community).

alex30

STS, you have to go to "community" whenever you post and post your ad over there. Then you go back and go to another city and again go to "community" and you may do that as many times as you want.

sreisenb001

Okay I am baffeled... I have submitted time and time again to MSN and Yahoo but I can still not get linked by them.. I have 12600 pages on Google and 0 on both yahoo and MSN... WHat do I need to do

alex30

sreisenb001 I'm more then sure that you have your home page indexed on msn and yahoo but not all 12600 pages. Usually it takes time for them to index most of your pages.

- Lawrence - you welcome, glad it raised your mood.  ;D

fotografo74

Thanks for this useful guide! Can you please see my forum  (see my signature) ? How can i improve my forum? I have Welcome PM mod, Welcome Mod by vbgamer.
thanks! antonio

alex30

Awesome forum, nice design. All you have to do now is to work on link building.

I would personally join your forum, keep up.

fotografo74

Quote from: alex30 on March 25, 2009, 04:31:00 PM
Awesome forum, nice design. All you have to do now is to work on link building.

I would personally join your forum, keep up.
Thanks Alex! sorry for my english...but "to work on link building"....i don't  understand ...the menu links or...?
thanks!antonio

alex30

Link building means that you spread out your site link on other related sites and build PR (rank) on google and on other search engines. Please use search option to find more info on this.

eric1234

So i need to make multiple account and start to post topic in the forum right? :D
So how do u think of my forum?
www.anixekai.vlexo.net

alex30

First you need to register a 1,2 accounts. Then you need to download mod called "post as an alternative user."

Your forum is very nice, I like your banner a lot. You was the one who made it?

alex30

eric1234 I saw you added a shout box. Is it active there?

I personally don't use shout boxes, because they stop members from posting on forums and you don't want that.

ArkServer

The tips are pretty good but i wouldnt suggest to create multiple accounts and reply to yourself, its silly. :P

alex30

ArkServer it's all except to you.

I did this from the beginning when there were 10 users, it worked out. I made my forum look active, that was the most important thing at that start time.

ApplianceJunk

At the start of our forums I wrote "How To" type topics.
For example: How to replace the belt on your washer.

What I found was that no matter how detailed I tried to be there was always someone that would read it and then ask a question in a reply to the topic.

It just happened to work out for us doing it this way when starting our forums.

TheListener

Alex love the site. How did you get the fish there?

Am not very good when it comes to adding folders and such.

Have spent ages today figuring out the affiliates mod (grrr).

Ah well.

alex30

Hi TheListener!

You mean that yellow one? You go to forum/Themes/YourTheme/images/

and look for "on", "on2", "off" and replace with your own icons called "on", "on2", "off".

Let's see your site.

TheListener

Thanks Alex

www.visionaryhosting.info/forum

Not all the site is visible to guests. However if you decide to register as a member to see what it looks like then I can delete the account after.

alex30

No problem TheListener !

Forum looks pretty nice. You have two buttons for "Staff List", I would remove one, go to /forum/Themes/your theme/index.template.php and look for "Staff List" code or attach your index.template.php here and I'll remove it for you.

You have almost no back links on search engines, work on posting your links on other related sites. Read this http://www.qassia.com/how-to-generate-good-backlinks-and-lots-of-them

Make a banner for your forum. In my opinion your forum should have a face.

Advertisement: