News:

Join the Facebook Fan Page.

Main Menu

Theme problems with 1.1.7

Started by Rehash D Internet, January 28, 2009, 06:43:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Antechinus

No that would not be rash at all. It's an excellent way to get a clean start.

Rehash D Internet

Are you being facetious? You've been supremely helpful so far, thanks ever so much.

Antechinus

Facetious? Nope. Seriously, if you have a messed up site overwriting the lot with clean files will usually sort it. It takes the place back to a plain SMF installation, thereby getting rid of any messed up templates, etc.

The only files you would want to avoid overwriting are Settings.php and Settings_bak.php, since those contain the links to your forum and its database.

ETA: And as I mentioned to Rehash, you can also delete custom database tables to bring the database setup back to standard SMF. This is a bit of housekeeping which could be useful if you have not actually uninstalled the mods (meaning via the link in the package manager) and wish to reinstall them later.

Offhand I'm not sure if mods drop conflicting tables before making the new ones. If they don't, removing the existing ones* manually would be a good precaution.

*meaning the custom tables for some mods, not the standard SMF tables.

Tyrsson

I have done a file refresh (keeping the settings and settings_bak) Then reinstalled the mods and the info from the DB was there. Do not know if this will work for all mods. Then just drop the ones from mod you will not be using any longer.
PM at your own risk, some I answer, if they are interesting, some I ignore.

Rehash D Internet

Can you tell me the exact scripts I should renew? Modifications_english, Modsettings etc?

Also, would removing all the .rar packages from my packages folder be a sound move? Should I do the same with installed.list, index.php and .htaccess which are found in that folder?

So close to glory..

Antechinus

I thought Tyrsson had already refreshed your files. You shouldn't need to do it again.

What is currently the problem with your site?

Rehash D Internet

I don't know who Tyrsson is. Is he not just talking about his own site?

Tyrsson

Yes I was referring to my site... Sorry for the misunderstanding there guys. I was referring to the fact of how you could go about this. If you do a file refresh and reinstall the mods it should not hurt anything. The info from the database will show up as before. I do not know if this work with all mods but it worked with the ones I was using at the time.

Rehash D Internet

Everything is working absolutely fine now, thanks ever so much.

One last thing and rather unrelated: I'm trying to increase the width of the forum (main indexes, post tables et al) and I can't find a mention anywhere. I'd like it so there's 100px either side of the board.

Then I shall slink away, salaaming.

Tyrsson

Rehash D Internet

The changes advised on that page are only resizing the area around the table, rather than the table itself.

This is the theme I'm trying to edit, I've been all over the style script.

Antechinus

Look for this in your css files:

#wrapper {
margin: auto;
width: 890px;
border-left: solid 1px #1e1e1e;
border-right: solid 1px #1e1e1e;
border-bottom: solid 1px #1e1e1e;
}

There will be one for each colour. There is a better way of coding multi themes that sets the layout code in one master css file but this theme uses the long method, unfortunately, so you'll need to edit all five of them.

Rehash D Internet

Quote from: Antechinus on January 30, 2009, 10:34:25 PM
Look for this in your css files:

#wrapper {
margin: auto;
width: 890px;
border-left: solid 1px #1e1e1e;
border-right: solid 1px #1e1e1e;
border-bottom: solid 1px #1e1e1e;
}

There will be one for each colour. There is a better way of coding multi themes that sets the layout code in one master css file but this theme uses the long method, unfortunately, so you'll need to edit all five of them.

That's worked perfectly. I was barking up the wrong tree on the display.template. Really appreciate your help the last couple of days.

Antechinus

Display.template only displays post content in threads. Most dimensioning is done in css, although occasionally there will be a few dimensions in templates just to mess you up.

Antechinus

Hey do you use Firefox? If you do grab this thingy: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/60

It adds an extra toolbar that gives you all sorts of useful information about web pages.

Rehash D Internet

That looks smashing.

Having sorted the main table, I now have a discrepancy on main_above where the 'show unread posts' and 'show new replies' links aren't aligned right as I'd wish. I've had a good at this problem before beseeching your help, once more.

Antechinus

Rofl. Gimme a live link to the beasty you're editing so I can see the problem.

Rehash D Internet

Antechinus

Once again you'll need to do this to all css files if you want to use all colour variations of the theme.

Find this:

#userarea {
background: #1a1a1a url(images/userarea.png) 0 0 repeat-x;
color: #cdcdcd;
padding: 20px 0 10px 25px;
}

Change to this:

#userarea {
background: #1a1a1a url(images/userarea.png) 0 0 repeat-x;
color: #cdcdcd;
padding: 20px 0 10px 25px;
        text-align: right;
}

See how that looks. You will probably want to set some padding on the right. Just change the zero to 25px or whatever looks good.

Advertisement: