News:

Wondering if this will always be free?  See why free is better.

Main Menu

Username length in table - cut off

Started by Kat9119, March 18, 2009, 03:10:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kat9119

I transfered 1-2yrs ago from phpbb to SMF, I think, but don't remember that I had to up the max characters in a username because a lot of members couldn't login with their existing usernames.

I have since adjusted my forum so its in a table, which makes half of the username disappear if its over 12/13 characters - depends on Caps/Letters/Symbols etc.

Is there anyway around this? Is there a way to make the name split in half automatically when viewing the board?

If I change my max username length, I assume that users with existing usernames over that limit are going to have issues.

greyknight17

What did you change to increase the characters?

What do you mean by adjusting your forum so it's in a table?

Kat9119

I have no idea what I changed to increase the characters, I did it back in Oct. 07, but I think I posted about it on here...not sure I'd have to look.

http://www.shiversofhorror.com/forum/ see what i mean about it being within a table?

kat

Is it like that, if you use the SMF default theme?

Kat9119

Quote from: Kat on March 19, 2009, 06:11:53 PM
Is it like that, if you use the SMF default theme?

Probably not since the default theme isn't in a table.

greyknight17

Kat9119, is this issue resolved now? If not, what theme are you using? Provide a link to it if possible.

Kat9119

No, its not solved. And it was a theme someone created for me. Link is already posted.

Rumbaar

Any theme based changes will have zero affect on your db driven usernames.  The only that could be an issue, is if the theme has a character limit on any username input fields.
"An important reward for a job well done is a personal sense of worthwhile achievement."

[ Themes ]

Kat9119

Hum, so any idea what I can look at to fix this? I don't want to expand the table because it matches my website...or rather matches it once the website is up, and its already half way done.

If I could just figure out a way so that future signups are not allowed to have over a certain amount of characters  in their username, that would be great

Rumbaar

You can try and limit the input section for the username selection on registration to the desired character limit.  Though it wont affect those that input it directly (via alternate means), but should limit all but the most sneaky of users.
"An important reward for a job well done is a personal sense of worthwhile achievement."

[ Themes ]

Kat9119

Humm..how would I go about doing that?

Rumbaar

Well in the Register.template.php file you'll find the follow which currently has a default max character input of 25, alter to your needs
<input type="text" name="user" id="user_input" size="30" maxlength="25" />

[ Themes ]

Kat9119

Thanks so much. I'll give it a shot and see if that works :)

N3RVE

Is this issue solved or do you require additional assistance?
You need to upgrade your forum to 1.1.9 as previous versions are vulnerable.

-[n3rve]
Ralph "[n3rve]" Otowo
Former Marketing Co-ordinator, Simple Machines.
ralph [at] simplemachines [dot] org                       
Quote"Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known." - Carl Sagan

Kat9119

I *think* the problem has been fixed by editing the code above. Haven't seen any new long names being registered.

Updating soon as Ad Management issue on 1.1.8 needs to be resolved first :(

Advertisement: