Announcing a new look for SMF 2.0: Curve

Started by bloc, February 16, 2009, 03:28:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kenny01

I hope the curve will not slow down smf loading?

Fustrate

Technically it should speed up loading, since there is less markup to send to your computer :)

instead of <table ..><tr><td>...</td></tr></table>, there are more things like <div ...>...</div> and other block-level elements. Lots of inline styles have also been moved to external files that get cached, so that's even more that  doesn't get sent every time. Don't get me wrong - it'll still use tables for tabular data.
Steven Hoffman
Former Team Member, 2009-2012

H

There should be no noticeable difference in loading time.
-H
Former Support Team Lead
                              I recommend:
Namecheap (domains)
Fastmail (e-mail)
Linode (VPS)

c23_Mike

Hi there !

Wow so curve has even more good parts in it. And looking to SmokyBlue .. curves are always good!
So long, Mike

http://www.c23.at
c23 - DER Computer Club
~ never play alone ~

JBlaze

Quote from: c23_Mike on May 06, 2009, 04:24:09 PM
Hi there !

Wow so curve has even more good parts in it. And looking to SmokyBlue .. curves are always good!

Hey... keep your eyes off her lol :P
Jason Clemons
Former Team Member 2009 - 2012

Antechinus

Quote from: metallica48423 on May 06, 2009, 12:55:04 PM
Curve will likely become the main site theme.  It's pretty much just that there's still some work to be done for curve to work with our current existing site layout :)
Yeah. At the moment Curve only works with our current non-existing site layout.  :D

Waffadrunker

well, i was just thinking should i wait or i am (pretty much) safe to start up whit my site on 2.0 RC1 + ton of mods and upgrade to gold whit new theme later when its readdy? Will my board RC1+addons,portalmanagment - updated to Gold be more "dirty" then just clean Gold+addons,portal management? I think i still have not good picture of how adding & removing addons/updates work. Do i need to reinstall all addons if i want to apply them to this skin? (its probably stupid question, i think i must reinstall all plugins...)

I go not want to ask this old same question that has been asked here so many times "when its ready, when its ready" - i would just be happy to know if it's taking more then a month for release or less. So i know if i should start up now whit RC1 or wait.

but this new stile does look really slick & nice. Im not sore if it has been asked but is there some color variations also for this skin or will be only in one color? (for example different color versions of current  skin  act differently compared to default skin when i installing addons/hacks - so they are more different then just a color)

rommul

Quote from: Nas on April 25, 2009, 03:47:33 PM
@akaiphan, as RC1 just got released, you probably have to wait a bit longer.
The devs have bug-fixes to do and CUrve is far from finished.

yeap, RC1 just got released this year, so we had the release of the year;
next release, next year....... it's like Microsoft, from vista to w7 will take 4 years

and I remeber the days when some said the 2.0 final will be out in 2008 :P

青山 素子

If you decide to use the RC1 of SMF 2.0, you will need to manually update until the final edition has been released. At that point, updates will be issued through the package manager as well.

If you will not be able to handle the manual upgrades and re-installing modifications and theme changes, you are best to wait until the final release.
Motoko-chan
Director, Simple Machines

Note: Unless otherwise stated, my posts are not representative of any official position or opinion of Simple Machines.

Kenny01

Quote from: Fustrate on May 06, 2009, 03:15:25 PM
Technically it should speed up loading, since there is less markup to send to your computer :)

instead of <table ..><tr><td>...</td></tr></table>, there are more things like <div ...>...</div> and other block-level elements. Lots of inline styles have also been moved to external files that get cached, so that's even more that  doesn't get sent every time. Don't get me wrong - it'll still use tables for tabular data.
Good.

NHWD

will we be able to edit this theme just like ipb?
with ipb u can edit the header and footer the global html elements the macros and few other things

Gary

In SMF you can edit more than just the header and footer. In SMF you can edit the entire theme to how you see it. You could flip it upside down, and back to front if you so wanted. :P
Gary M. Gadsdon
Do NOT PM me unless I say so
War of the Simpsons
Bongo Comics Fan Forum
Youtube Let's Plays

^ YT is changing monetisation policy, help reach 1000 sub threshold.

Hell Raiser

Well you too  Smoky is mine favourite too   :P
Need Help with SMF ? Ask me may be i can help you out

Fustrate

This is a topic about the theme... can we keep the random comments to a minimum?
Steven Hoffman

NHWD

Quote from: Gazmanafc on May 07, 2009, 11:21:24 PM
In SMF you can edit more than just the header and footer. In SMF you can edit the entire theme to how you see it. You could flip it upside down, and back to front if you so wanted. :P
yeah but you gotta know php
with ipb its simple css and html

Gary

Actually, you don't need to know a lot of PHP, just how to work echo' statements.

I'm a designer for SMF and I barely know PHP.
Gary M. Gadsdon
Do NOT PM me unless I say so
War of the Simpsons
Bongo Comics Fan Forum
Youtube Let's Plays

^ YT is changing monetisation policy, help reach 1000 sub threshold.

JBlaze

Jason Clemons
Former Team Member 2009 - 2012

Fustrate

I'm a Customizer who knows PHP, JS, HTML, and CSS, so my opinion on this is invalid :)
Steven Hoffman

NHWD

Quote from: Gazmanafc on May 08, 2009, 11:49:45 PM
Actually, you don't need to know a lot of PHP, just how to work echo' statements.

I'm a designer for SMF and I barely know PHP.
same difference :P

Advertisement: