News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

upgrading to 2.0 RC1 from 1.1.7

Started by n1cotine, February 26, 2009, 01:05:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

n1cotine

Hello all,

I'd like to know if I can do the upgrade a bit differently.

I'll manually run the script upgrade_2-0_mysql.sql from the large upgrade package and then run a fresh install of SMF 2.0 RC1 using the converted database as target database.

This way I'd have a fresh install of 2.0 RC1 with my old database data. Is that correct ? Will it work ?

Compuart

I'm afraid that won't work, as there's much more to the upgrade than just the MySQL queries. If you look through upgrade_2-0_mysql.sql, you'll see there's a lot of PHP code in there as well. It'll only work if used in combination with the upgrade.php script.
Hendrik Jan Visser
Former Lead Developer & Co-founder www.simplemachines.org
Personal Signature:
Realitynet.nl -> ExpeditieRobinson.net / PekingExpress.org / WieIsDeMol.Com

n1cotine

When you upgrade you basically get brand new .php files with the same database ?

Since my current smf installation is kinda broken I'd like to "start from scratch" without losing my data.

Compuart

The upgrade makes the database ready for whatever version you're upgrading to. The new files are included in the upgrade package. Note that upgrading can only be done one way (and that's up). Once you've upgraded you cannot use the same database for a lower version (unless you have made a backup and continue with that).
Hendrik Jan Visser
Former Lead Developer & Co-founder www.simplemachines.org
Personal Signature:
Realitynet.nl -> ExpeditieRobinson.net / PekingExpress.org / WieIsDeMol.Com

Advertisement: