Unable to register New Users?

Started by topgunmike, February 27, 2009, 12:10:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

topgunmike

I have a SMF 2.0 RC1, was upgraded from 118, When a new user tries to register, they recive this error;

An Error has occured
  You are not allowed to access this section

at the point they click the register button beneath the agreement.

I've checked, and can't find the issue, I have many domains running on this version, but only this one has this issue.

can anyone guide me on this.
Thanx;
Mike

topgunmike

it amazes me how many support requests go Unanswered here....
http://www.owcpost.com [nofollow] is where users can't register, the smf scripts are great, support,,,, seems to respond to few requests tho....
I have many Domains using smf, but without support, it's no good to me....

owcommandpost

Thanks Mike for your continued assistance with this issue.

OW~CommandPost [nofollow]

topgunmike

IS there any way to RESET the whole Smf Permissions to Default, Including in the D/B???

Hello??
Anybody???

owcommandpost

Well as far as the 1st issue,
I seem to have resolved that myself.
It seems there was a glitch in the permissions for 1 or more user groups.
I'm unclear which one was the problem but after deletion of each of the post based groups I was able to successfuly register a new test member this morning.
The permisions for SMF honestly confuse the crap out of me.
So when I start adding the groups back I'm taking it slowly and only doing no more than 1 at a time setting permissions for each as I go.
If the problem returns it should be easier to track down.
As for your latest request for support I have NO clue.
Seems that after 4 days and 84 views you'd have some kind of answer by now :o

topgunmike

Man, That's great news, and Thank you so much for posting it here, incase any other users run accross this issue, they would surely find this post before Ever getting a response from smf....

Thank you again... :P

owcommandpost

Hard to say why there was no response from "support" after 5 full days of waiting and obviously somebody was viewing the thread
Maybe nobody knew,
Maybe support doesn't know what could have caused such a foul up with their prduct.
The reasons could be many.
In the end though at least the issue was resolved as far as I've been able to tell anyway.
Still wish I had be able to identify exactly which group caused the fould up but at least it seems to be fixed and things starting to run smoothly again.
Thanks Mike for your help ;D

Rumbaar

Sorry about the delay, as it's noted bumping thread within 24 hours isn't recommended.  We're all volunteers and the whole community can contribute with fellow users issues.  With the 100's of new threads every day and limited support team it can take some getting through them all in a timely fashion.

Some good threads to read:
How can I get my problems solved faster?
How do I ask support questions the smart way?

What was the exact process used to upgrade?  DO you get the same result when you use the default CORE theme?  What mods you have installed?  Most likely one that affects actions after login or registration.

Also reading this thread, is there a conversion elsewhere?  As it doesn't make sense.
"An important reward for a job well done is a personal sense of worthwhile achievement."

[ Themes ]

topgunmike

Quote from: Rumbaar on March 18, 2009, 05:48:43 AM
Sorry about the delay, as it's noted bumping thread within 24 hours isn't recommended.  We're all volunteers and the whole community can contribute with fellow users issues.  With the 100's of new threads every day and limited support team it can take some getting through them all in a timely fashion.

Some good threads to read:
How can I get my problems solved faster?
How do I ask support questions the smart way?

What was the exact process used to upgrade?  DO you get the same result when you use the default CORE theme?  What mods you have installed?  Most likely one that affects actions after login or registration.

Also reading this thread, is there a conversion elsewhere?  As it doesn't make sense.

as reported above, we have already figured it out, to be more clear;

**The PhpBB to SMF Conversion created a Glitch in the Permissions, We eventualy had to Delete ALL and Reconfigure All but Admistrators level.

We used the same settings for the same levels, except the levels we decided were'nt needed.

*NOTE*
I Posted this on feb 27, it's now march 18, talk about takes some time????

This solved the Registration and Permissions Glitch**

and further, We Were'nt Posting to BUMP anything, We had given up on the Support staff and were posting to Each other, I do realize now, we were doing it in the wrong topic, but it Was Not a Purposely Bumped post, for that, I appoligize

Rumbaar

Due to the way the outstanding topics are handled, oldest to newest.  When a person posts to a thread it can reset their position and return them to the end.  If the support list are ordered that way.  I personally work form the oldest to newest.

The first bump was will within 24 hours.  It can take a couple of days to get to general topics, there is currently 350+ outstanding threads.  We have around 10 active support givers, you can do the math on trying to deal with that on a 'time free' volunteer basis.

Also the fact it was resolved any not marked as such (see the button at the bottom of the page left), it has remained in the support listings.  Just imagine all the other threads that people have created, solved and not marked.  Then imagine the time taken to try and deal with them.  Taken away from someone else who has also been waiting so long.  It does add up.

I'm sorry it took to long, but I'm glad you worked it out.  We do hope the general community can help their fellow members as well at times. To help with the load.

The Charter Member membership does offer access to the Helpdesk and priority support, FYI.
"An important reward for a job well done is a personal sense of worthwhile achievement."

[ Themes ]

Advertisement: