Join the Facebook Fan Page.

Main Menu

SMF Arcade

Started by niko, October 01, 2004, 02:45:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AM Woody3

Quote from: gbsothere on August 30, 2009, 08:11:31 PM
Quote from: AM Woody3 on August 30, 2009, 07:15:11 PM
Yes, I've been through all that.  They all have the correct permissions.  I'm running SMF 1.1.10 and the arcade version is 2.0.18

Did you manually install Arcade or did you use the package manager?  If you used the package manager, did you get any failed tests?

ETA:

Here's a thread from SMF Arcade's support forum that may help.  Pay close attention to the first two posts (but do read the entire short thread for further information that's important.). If you installed 2.0.18 before this update was done, then you'll want this information:

http://www.smfarcade.info/forum/index.php?topic=5235.msg32747#msg32747

I did get a failed test on index.template.  I loaded this new file and still have the same problem.  I also got the failed test on index.template again.

gbsothere

Quote from: AM Woody3 on August 31, 2009, 11:40:26 AM

I did get a failed test on index.template.  I loaded this new file and still have the same problem.  I also got the failed test on index.template again.

You did the update found at http://smfarcade.info?  You have to uninstall 2.0.18 before installing 2.0.19.

Are you using a custom theme?

ETA: 

Also, if you go to Admin-----> Arcade------>Settings and look at Permission Mode, what is that set to?

My apologies, but I am taking a break from accepting PM requests for support.  If I am not currently assisting you, please do not ask as long as this notice is posted.  Thank you.

I Don't Want To Grow Old Alone

It has been proven that Steely Dan reduces the occurrence of road rage, according to an independent study.

A reminder about admin / ftp passwords etc.

Nameless?

An Error Has Occurred!
Could not upload package, please check directory permissions! 

i tested all

gbsothere

Quote from: Nameless? on August 31, 2009, 02:22:28 PM
An Error Has Occurred!
Could not upload package, please check directory permissions! 

i tested all

This is after you ran repair_settings.php?  Did you find, when you ran it, that any of the paths needed to be corrected?  Also, did you go to Arcade---->Settings and check to see that, in the path to the games directory, that Games is spelled with a capital "G" and does not have a slash following it?

ETA:  The other thing I would check, Nameless, if you feel all your permissions and paths are correct is to find out if your server places a limit on the size of file you can upload.  Some gamepacks, in the past, have been larger than the limits that some servers place.  Gamepack15 is a small one; only 800+KB.  You might try this one to see if you're still unable to upload it.

ETA:  Also....  just covering every base.... make sure that you are not trying to upload gamespacks with the package manager.  That won't work.  You must go to Admin----> Arcade------> Games then click on the Install tab.  Then scroll down to the bottom and there you will see where to browse to your zip and upload.  (Just making sure, Nameless.) 

:)
My apologies, but I am taking a break from accepting PM requests for support.  If I am not currently assisting you, please do not ask as long as this notice is posted.  Thank you.

It has been proven that Steely Dan reduces the occurrence of road rage, according to an independent study.

Nameless?

hmm this was wierd :/ i installed gamepack15 worked fine no errors

gbsothere

Quote from: Nameless? on August 31, 2009, 02:46:53 PM
hmm this was wierd :/ i installed gamepack15 worked fine no errors

Ah.  So you can ignore all that extra advice I just tacked onto my other post.   :D

Nameless, I would give my server a call and find out what the limit is and see if they will increase it.  If they don't, then just always check the size for gamepacks and if they're going to exceed your servers limit, then unzip them and drag the folder inside them into your Games directory (as you did earlier) and then install.

Also, visit http://smfarcade.info (or browse this thread) to learn how to create gamedata folders when you begin adding v32 games to your arcade.

TwitchisMental

Quote from: gbsothere on August 31, 2009, 07:54:08 AM
Quote from: NBK*Twitch on August 30, 2009, 05:09:48 PM
I see everything,but the edit games option.

NBK, here is someone else who had your issue and was able to resolve it.  This thread is from SMF Arcade's support forum:

http://www.smfarcade.info/forum/index.php?topic=4987.msg30998#msg30998
Nope this did not fix it either =[.

I will reinstall it and see if that helps any.

AM Woody3

Quote from: gbsothere on August 31, 2009, 11:42:29 AM
Quote from: AM Woody3 on August 31, 2009, 11:40:26 AM

You did the update found at http://smfarcade.info?  You have to uninstall 2.0.18 before installing 2.0.19.

Are you using a custom theme?

ETA: 

Also, if you go to Admin-----> Arcade------>Settings and look at Permission Mode, what is that set to?

I did do the update from there, I did uninstall the first one before I did that.  I am using a custom theme.  I went to the permission mode and it's set to Category and game

gbsothere

Quote from: AM Woody3 on September 01, 2009, 08:19:06 AM
I did do the update from there, I did uninstall the first one before I did that.  I am using a custom theme.  I went to the permission mode and it's set to Category and game

I had to scroll back a bit to remember your situation.  As far as your failed test, since you use a custom theme, Arcade should have been installed with default's index.template.php and then the edits made to your theme's index.template.php and that file uploaded to your theme's directory.  Your issue isn't that the arcade isn't functioning properly; it's permissions, but I would still edit default's index.template.php according to the Arcade parsing and place that file in its directory.

If you go to Admin-----> Arcade------> Settings and set the Permission Mode to "None" then it will pick up the permissions that you have set for your forum. 

Note this:  If you were to go to Admin-----> Arcade-----> Categories and look at the categories there, you will see that by clicking the + sign next to each category, each one has its own permissions.  Try setting your permission mode to "None" to pick up your forum's member group permissions (assuming you have all member groups permissions set to view and play the arcade).  Otherwise, if you want to leave the permission mode set to "Category and Game", you are going to have to edit each Category's permissions and each Game's permissions.

Try "None", save and see what happens (again, assuming you've set every membergroup's permissions via "Admin----> Permissions).

AM Woody3

Quote from: gbsothere on September 01, 2009, 08:28:46 AM
Quote from: AM Woody3 on September 01, 2009, 08:19:06 AM

I had to scroll back a bit to remember your situation.  As far as your failed test, since you use a custom theme, Arcade should have been installed with default's index.template.php and then the edits made to your theme's index.template.php and that file uploaded to your theme's directory.  Your issue isn't that the arcade isn't functioning properly; it's permissions, but I would still edit default's index.template.php according to the Arcade parsing and place that file in its directory.

If you go to Admin-----> Arcade------> Settings and set the Permission Mode to "None" then it will pick up the permissions that you have set for your forum. 

Note this:  If you were to go to Admin-----> Arcade-----> Categories and look at the categories there, you will see that by clicking the + sign next to each category, each one has its own permissions.  Try setting your permission mode to "None" to pick up your forum's member group permissions (assuming you have all member groups permissions set to view and play the arcade).  Otherwise, if you want to leave the permission mode set to "Category and Game", you are going to have to edit each Category's permissions and each Game's permissions.

Try "None", save and see what happens (again, assuming you've set every membergroup's permissions via "Admin----> Permissions).

Awesome!  That worked.  Thanks!

gbsothere

Nameless?

can i split up then upload? that does work???

gbsothere

Quote from: Nameless? on September 01, 2009, 12:38:22 PM
can i split up then upload? that does work???

Actually, you can, Nameless, if you want to do a bit of a workaround.  If I remember without scrolling back you have 1.1.10?

If you want only one game out of a gamepack, then unzip the gamepack on your computer.  You will see a folder for the gamepack and, inside that, individual game files.  For instance:  Let's say you unzipped gamepack 10 and you found, inside the gamepack folder the files for Pool:  pool_CH.gif and pool_CH.swf.  You can create a new folder on your desktop and name it:  pool_CH.  Then just drag those two files into the pool_CH folder.  Next, drag the pool_CH folder into the Games directory (located in your forum's root folder).  Then go to Admin----->Arcade------>Games and click Install.  Check the box next to pool_CH and install it.

All that, assuming I understood your question.    :)

ETA:  You may be able to just drag files for only the games you want into a zip application, zip them and rename the zip file, then install via Arcade's "upload and install" but I've not tested that, yet.  I'll do that now, while I'm mucking around.

ETA:  That works, as well, at least with simple zipped gamepacks that contain only .gif and .swf files.

Actually, the first way is better.  Theoretically, you can create a new zip and upload, but the data doesn't actually get installed (.gifs and .swfs).  At least, not on my 1.1.10 test site.  I was able to force it, but it involves mucking around with permissions, etc.  I'd just go the folder route, Nameless. 

Shadow1243

One question;

What must be chmod permissions of Games directory and games' permissions?

gbsothere

Quote from: Shadow1243 on September 02, 2009, 12:37:07 PM
One question;

What must be chmod permissions of Games directory and games' permissions?

If your server allows it, the Games directory should be set to 777.  (755, if that's all they allow.)  You shouldn't have to set the permissions for individual games if you're uploading via Admin----> Arcade but you can.

If you feel your permissions are correct but you're still getting errors, remember that an incorrect path can cause permission errors.

Shadow1243

i can change all permissions, but does chmod777 permissions  make a hacking attempt for hackers?

gbsothere

Quote from: Shadow1243 on September 02, 2009, 05:59:59 PM
i can change all permissions, but does chmod777 permissions  make a hacking attempt for hackers?

It's always a possibility, Shadow.  After you do the procedure you're working on, I would just change it back until you need open permissions, again. 

Shadow1243

Thanks for replies gbsothere, i will think again. :)

gbsothere

I heartily recommend the Arcade's home site for learning about arcade functions and picking up some neat tips and hacks, Shadow. 

http://smfarcade.info

TurtleKicker

200 pages and no way to search. Sorry if this is a FAQ. :(

2 questions:

1) I just installed 2.0.18 onto SMF 1.1.10. Works fine, but I notice when I first go to Arcade, I notice a blank tab next to STATISTICS (see attached). Is something supposed to be there? Is anything else supposed to appear on this toolbar?

2) As I sort games into categories, is there some way to have a category view come up first when you go into the Arcade?

Advertisement: