News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

SMF Arcade

Started by niko, October 01, 2004, 02:45:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheListener

Quote from: Arantor on August 18, 2013, 08:41:30 PM
Well, apparently you didn't, since you're going on about how many mods you have as if it's relevant... a single mod can screw up plenty of others, especially if it's a big complex mod.

Actually I was responding to Chalky not that it's any of your business.

snadge

this is turning into a heated discussion about mods in general now :)

i think SMF should be working on a new forum version that has mod integration that DOESNT require changing source code, it should be a file thats called on in its own entity from SMF files - bit like browser extensions, they dont edit the browser code so you can add/remove as many as you like, if they dont get on then tough, remove one....but at least your forum code wont be broken!

yeah I installed that one...forum worked fine...but after reading what happened to the other poster i decided to remove it and when i went too it had no uninstall link? so i emulated RC5 and still the same...this had me concerned i would be stuck with it in my forum code and from what the other poster said it worried me even more...so i restored from backup

Arantor

First of all, SMF has had abilities to handle adding mods without editing files for some time now, it's just that no-one ever seems to use it. SMF 2.1 does it better but it's not perfect. (Some of us have modified versions of SMF where the *only* option is to do it that way, but apparently the team doesn't like that idea because it's 'less flexible')

Note that this mod hasn't really been touched in a while which is largely the reason that's an issue.

Sandmansa

Quote from: ChalkCat on August 18, 2013, 08:18:00 PM
I've just checked and SMF Arcade 2.5 RC2 is the same package I installed on my forum 18 months ago and have installed on a second forum since, now both running SMF 2.0.5.  It works perfectly well so I don't know what could have happened to make your buttons disappear Sandmansa.  Are you quite sure you installed the version linked by -Underdog- above?  I've just successfully installed a fresh download of that version and uninstalled it without issue.  Smooth as a baby's bottom  :)

This is the one that I downloaded maybe a couple of weeks ago but I will get a fresh copy and try again.

By the way, my server in running the minimum resources required to run smf 2.0. ie: MySQL 4.0.18 and php 4.4.4.  Would that have any impact on this mod?

Arantor

It shouldn't but you *REALLY* should upgrade.

4.0.18 is some years old, it is 12 patches behind the last release of 4.0.x, which was over 6 years ago. It also misses out all the fixes in 4.1.x, 5.0.x, and 5.1.x.

As for PHP, 4.4.4 is not even the last version of PHP 4.4, which was 4.4.9, all of which are security fixes. PHP stopped providing support to the 4.4.x line in 2007 and there are known security holes in it which will not be fixed.

You should upgrade to a current version of both at your earliest opportunity.

Sandmansa

Yeah, I get told that a lot.  The fact of the matter is, this is a server I run from home and it took me quite some time to figure out how to install and setup mysql server a long time ago.  And it's something I am not looking forward to doing again if I don't have to.  I have mysql 4.1.2 installed but I couldn't get it to work right.  Im so not sql savy.  lol

Arantor

Sorry, but that's just irresponsible. Leaving your system running a web facing server with 7 YEARS of known vulnerabilities, it's amazing you haven't been hacked yet. In fact I'd probably even go as far as to suggest that you have been hacked at some point and don't even know about it.

Chen Zhen

Snadge,

Currently SMF has that ability which are called hooks but there are some cases where manual edits are still needed.  Also you first installed the older version with parsing errors and Imo most likely uninstalled it whilst ignoring more parsing errors. I advise you not to commence with an install if you do not have the ability to manually parse files in the areas that show a place marker error (place marker means the code it is looking for to place an edit) . Place marker errors are caused by other mods making edits to files in the same areas and that changed the code. As ChalkCat stated there is indeed an uninstall link as the package-info file is coded correctly. The version I linked will install/uninstall for any SMF2.0.X version and is tested by me for all new SMF releases.

Sandmansa,

The version I linked works perfectly fine without error.  I advise the next time you have serious issues with your forum as you describe to learn to use the Large Upgrade Package to restore your forum to default after which you can install your mods and smiley packs anew. It does not wipe your database, avatars or attachments. Wiping all your files as you describe was unnecessary.
Instructions are here: http://wiki.simplemachines.org/smf/Upgrading

ChalkCat,

Merci for the confirmation regarding the Arcade package.

Regarding TapTalk:
  Grumpy Old Sod used that mod where I had to fix his forum some months ago mostly because of it. Although many of its edits find their place markers and do not show parsing errors, some are incorrect coding whilst showing a ton of errors in the general log after the mod's installation. This is assuming the developer of that mod has not updated it since I last looked. What I'm saying is anyone using that mod must have seen errors being flagged in their log and ignored them. 

Quote from: Arantor on August 18, 2013, 08:49:03 PM
Note that this mod hasn't really been touched in a while which is largely the reason that's an issue.

This mod does use some hooks although I'm not positive on whether or not is uses all ones possible prior to parsing. I would have to go through all the manual edits and cross reference them with the library/list of hooks to see if it is possible to omit some/all of the manual edits and then post those changes on Niko's GitHub Arcade repository. It might be pointless though as I'm not sure if he's willing to update this mod anymore (I'm willing to support it as it is but I do not have the right to post an updated version on his site).

My SMF Mods & Plug-Ins

WebDev

"Either you repeat the same conventional doctrines everybody is saying, or else you say something true, and it will sound like it's from Neptune." - Noam Chomsky

Sandmansa

I'm not irresponsible.  I just don't know enough about mysql server to be able to upgrade it.  I've tried many times.

Besides, I only had it installed for a Half-Life game server stats plugin until just recently when I found out what I had installed was still good enough to try running a smf 2.0 test server.

Chen Zhen

Sandmansa,

You definitely need to upgrade your MYSQL and PHP. The mod will not work properly at all without those being updated. The hooks file alone that manipulates the nav links needs PHP 5 for array_merge if I remember correctly as that function was changed in the updated PHP version. It would mess up your nav bar with PHP4 or prior.

My SMF Mods & Plug-Ins

WebDev

"Either you repeat the same conventional doctrines everybody is saying, or else you say something true, and it will sound like it's from Neptune." - Noam Chomsky

Chen Zhen

Sandmansa,

Do you use a Unix based OS or Windows? Which one specifically? To update your MYSQL and PHP you need to use your OS terminal (or 3rd party terminal ie. pUTTY) and simply type in the appropriate commands. This is assuming your nameservers and mirror repositories are already configured. To get support for these type of things it would be best to post in the appropriate board or possibly on the support site of the OS you are using to run your website.

My SMF Mods & Plug-Ins

WebDev

Sandmansa

That is what I was wondering.  My server is on windows 7 32bit but my web server resources are just to far behind.  I appreciate the help guys.  Thanks. 

snadge

So Underdog your saying i shouldnt install this mod you linked me too? ive uninstalled the previous version, i think im getting the hang of this PHP editing lol...are the place markers these things?: <? as i noticed some failed uninstall tests where because other mods ended up putting two empty lines between that and code when it should be (or was looking for) just one line as that was the only difference between them

i might re-try it tonight at midnight but will backup and put forum into maintenance mode

Chen Zhen

snadge,

Install it if you think you can correct any possible parse errors.  Make sure to start from your backup prior to your other installation else use the full upgrade SMF package that I previously spoke of.  The <? you displayed is a PHP short open tag and I already explained what a place marker is (the code the mod is looking for in order to place its edit).

My SMF Mods & Plug-Ins

WebDev

snadge

I went to install it and this time its failed on testing and seems to concur with what the other poster said about stuff missing from it, forgive me if im wrong as im not a coder (but im catching on the basics) ..the one failed install test was in index.php

can not find:

elseif (empty($_REQUEST['action']))

to add code before??,
now I can find find     elseif (empty($_REQUEST['action']) (which has a bracket missing off the end) but this appears to be in the middle of code? normally code is inserted before/after the {} markers arent they?

this is the code to put BEFORE that above:

// Check for arcade actions
// IBPArcade v2.x.x Games support
elseif (isset($_REQUEST['act']) && strtolower($_REQUEST['act']) == 'arcade')
{
$_REQUEST['action'] = 'arcade';

if (isset($_REQUEST['do']) && $_REQUEST['do'] == 'newscore')
$_REQUEST['sa'] = 'ibpsubmit2';

require_once($sourcedir . '/Arcade.php');
return 'Arcade';
}
// IBPArcade v3.x.x Games support
elseif (isset($_REQUEST['autocom']) && $_REQUEST['autocom'] == 'arcade')
{
$_REQUEST['action'] = 'arcade';

if (isset($_REQUEST['do']) && $_REQUEST['do'] == 'savescore')
$_REQUEST['sa'] = 'ibpsubmit3';
elseif (isset($_REQUEST['do']) && $_REQUEST['do'] == 'verifyscore')
$_REQUEST['sa'] = 'ibpverify';

return 'Arcade';
}
elseif (isset($_REQUEST['play']) && !isset($_REQUEST['game']))
{
$_REQUEST['game'] = $_REQUEST['play'];
unset($_REQUEST['play']);
$_REQUEST['sa'] = 'play';

return 'Arcade';
}
elseif (isset($_REQUEST['highscore']) && !isset($_REQUEST['game']))
{
$_REQUEST['game'] = $_REQUEST['highscore'];
unset($_REQUEST['highscore']);
$_REQUEST['sa'] = 'highscore';

return 'Arcade';
}
elseif ((isset($_REQUEST['game']) || isset($_REQUEST['match'])) && !isset($_REQUEST['action']))
{
return 'Arcade';
}

Chen Zhen

snadge,

That code goes before that elseif statement and what it is looking for is normally in the main index.php file unless it has been altered by another mod prior to the Arcade's installation.
  Nothing is missing from the arcade installer and the other poster you are referring to had issues due to her php and mysql being out of date version wise.

This..

elseif (empty($_REQUEST['action']))

.. has to have 2 open and 2 close brackets (brackets for the empty & brackets for the whole if statement) else there would be an error. Unless you are purposely not showing me the rest of that line of code where another mod altered it to include more conditional logic prior to a closing bracket. If that being the case, this would mean the Arcade installer can't find that place marker because the code was changed by another previously installed mod prior to its installation which is what I already explained to you.

My SMF Mods & Plug-Ins

WebDev

snadge

i didnt show the rest of the code, just what the installer was looking for...

heres the code in full:

}
elseif (empty($_REQUEST['action']) && empty($_REQUEST['ajax_request']))
{

Chen Zhen

snadge,

That is why the arcade could not find what it was looking for. Simply place the necessary code directly prior to that elseif statement.
When/if uninstalling the Arcade you will have to remove the same edit you are placing manually because obviously the exact code it will look for will not not be there.

My SMF Mods & Plug-Ins

WebDev

snadge

so it goes prior to the elsif statement and after the }   ..?

thnx

snadge

ok done it, installed but no ARCADE button to get to it, also says:

(and when i tried to add a button with Menu Editor Lite theres no 'arcade' in the list, arcade is enabled in Admin Center

Advertisement: