News:

SMF 2.1.4 has been released! Take it for a spin! Read more.

Main Menu

Is what my posters are asking for even possible? (Return)

Started by gbsothere, March 01, 2009, 10:43:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gbsothere

Well, no...

I logged in as a new user who's never read any of the posts and picked the very first page of a long thread to quote and reply to, but landed at the very last page of the thread, last post.   (I expected my post to land there, I don't mean that.)  I mean, me, myself... the page never defaulted back to where I was when I posted.

I'm pretty sure I copied and pasted correctly, placing the code before the searched for string, but let me try again...

My apologies, but I am taking a break from accepting PM requests for support.  If I am not currently assisting you, please do not ask as long as this notice is posted.  Thank you.

I Don't Want To Grow Old Alone

It has been proven that Steely Dan reduces the occurrence of road rage, according to an independent study.

A reminder about admin / ftp passwords etc.

gbsothere

*sigh*

It be hatin' on me.     No dice.

Thanks, guys for trying to help and I'll keep peeking back in for any new suggestions (that aren't for me to do things that are, for the most part, physically impossible and hurt).

*grin*

My apologies, but I am taking a break from accepting PM requests for support.  If I am not currently assisting you, please do not ask as long as this notice is posted.  Thank you.

It has been proven that Steely Dan reduces the occurrence of road rage, according to an independent study.

Dragooon

When you post as the user...on the posting page what is the URL?
And can you attach your Post.php?

gbsothere

Quote from: Dragooon on March 02, 2009, 01:51:55 PM
When you post as the user...on the posting page what is the URL?
And can you attach your Post.php?

Hi, Dragooon.

The URL for the posting page is http://mywebsite.com/smf/index.php?topic=51.msg0#new

(Or do you need my actual domain?)  That's just a random unread thread I picked, without having selected a post to reply to.

I've attached the Post.php, hopefully. 

Dragooon

Actually I just realised something....do this.
Move that block of code before
// Returning to the topic?

gbsothere

*grin* 

I think that's it!

I mean, they can't inspect their own reply, without going to the last page, so they'd better learn to use the preview function, but they can't have everything.   

I think you've pulled a rabbit out of a hat, Dragooon!

I'm way impressed! 

Thanks so much!

gbsothere

Well.......

I know you guys are getting ready to string me up...   

They're telling me that they are getting sent all the way back to page one of the thread, instead of to the post they quoted.  Apparently, I was on a thread that only had a couple of pages. 

Is there an adjustment for that?

Dragooon

Well ask them the URL of the replying page(the one where you fill your reply) And also attach your latest Post.php.

gbsothere

Quote from: Dragooon on March 02, 2009, 10:20:24 PM
Well ask them the URL of the replying page(the one where you fill your reply) And also attach your latest Post.php.

Thank you, Dragooon.

The link she was on to quote and post was:

http://mywebsite.com/smf/index.php?action=post;quote=6105;topic=3.150;num_replies=3617;sesc=06f2c17a1f84259c1d5eaaed230a6c40

She ended up at post 1.

Thanks for taking a look at this. 

Dragooon

Hm I can't view that file from my iPod. Can you post your Post2 function?

gbsothere

Quote from: Dragooon on March 02, 2009, 10:59:12 PM
Hm I can't view that file from my iPod. Can you post your Post2 function?

I could try to bluff and pretend that I know what that is...
or I could just suck it up and admit that I don't.

Let's go with that.  *grin*

I'm sorry, I don't understand what Post2 function is.

Dragooon

Ok do this, post the lines around the block of code you added.

gbsothere

Quote from: Dragooon on March 02, 2009, 11:08:49 PM
Ok do this, post the lines around the block of code you added.

Before:

// Notify any members who have notification turned on for this topic.
   if ($newTopic)
      notifyMembersBoard();
   elseif (empty($_REQUEST['msg']))
      sendNotifications($topic, 'reply');

the added code:

// Custom redirection
        // WE got a quote?
        if (isset($_REQUEST['topic']) && isset($_REQUEST['quote']))
            redirectexit('topic=' . $_REQUEST['topic'] . (strpos($_REQUEST['topic'], '.') ? '#' : '.') . 'msg' . $_REQUEST['quote']);
        // No quote? : (
        elseif (isset($_REQUEST['topic']))
            redirectexit('topic=' . $_REQUEST['topic']);

(I added the space between : and ( following //no quote? because it was making a frown smiley when I posted it here).

and after:

// Returning to the topic?
   if (!empty($_REQUEST['goback']))
   {
      // Mark the board as read.... because it might get confusing otherwise.
      db_query("
         UPDATE {$db_prefix}log_boards
         SET ID_MSG = $modSettings[maxMsgID]
         WHERE ID_MEMBER = $ID_MEMBER
            AND ID_BOARD = $board", __FILE__, __LINE__);
   }

Dragooon

gbsothere

I'm sorry, Dragooon, but, if I pick page 7 out of 14 of a thread I've never been on and quote someone, my post does arrive on page 7, as it should but I land back on page 1.

And, the bad thing is that I can't shake my head slowly and say, "Well....  I'm stumped!"  because I was stumped when I got here.   *grin* 

I appreciate your efforts with this, thanks so much.

Dragooon

gbsothere

Quote from: Dragooon on March 03, 2009, 10:19:42 AM
Here try this....I realised a few things.

Dragooon, it's taking me back to the page where the post is that I quoted, and that's good enough!  If they're too lazy to scroll a bit when they're returned to where they were reading to continue catching up, then they're on their own!  *grin*

I can't thank you enough.  You're a lifesaver!

Dragooon

It should take back to there last post if they use quote along with full reply(And not quick reply)...but thanks :).

gbsothere

Quote from: Dragooon on March 03, 2009, 11:00:18 AM
It should take back to there last post if they use quote along with full reply(And not quick reply)...but thanks :).

They're over there chattering now like a tree full of starlings, Dragooon.  *grin*   You'd think they struck oil. 

I can't thank you enough!   I'll mark this "Solved" and you rock, seriously!

EDIT:   Well...   *looking around* ...  I don't see a "Solved" link...

but I'm calling it "Solved".  *grin*

Thanks, again!

Dragooon

You can change the topic's icon to tick to mark it as solved.

Advertisement: