Forum slow, installed: MySQL 4.1.1 + APACHE 2.0.53 + PHP 5.0.3 + ZEND optimizer

Started by verbam, March 06, 2005, 04:30:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

verbam

I have just installed  MySQL 4.1.1 + APACHE 2.0.53 + PHP 5.0.3 + ZEND optimizer.

My previous installation was with a: miniportal 1.3.8 + php 4.3 + mysql 3.2.4 (and fast)

Previous installation, it needs 1 to 3 seconds to get some action but now:
Quotelogin forum: 10 seconds
switch from board item to board item 5 seconds
read board topics 7 to 12 seconds
logout forum: 7 seconds

QuoteIf i login as user instead administrator  everything goes faster (login, logout, browse...) example: login: 5 seconds, but read a topic is the same slow (7 to 12 seconds) speed
Quoteseems to be some cookie (control) problem, but can not find it.
i did NOT change anything in the portal or forum as it was with previous installation.

have changed the configuration off the cookies in all possible ways and it did not work.
so i have decide to store it back as it was.

do somebody have installed the same configuration ?
maybe i can see the ini or config files to check what is different (just replace names & passwords with"xxxxx")

Operating system: Windows 2003 without IIS, DHCP, DNS ....installed.
MySQL 4.1.1
APACHE 2.0.53
PHP 5.0.3
ZEND optimizer
Board: SMF 1.0.2

Needed:
Mysql = my.ini (***/mysql)
Apache = httpd.conf (***/Apache2/conf)
php = php.ini (windows directory)

If somebody can help me please ....  :-[

CU (Thanks for reading this anyway)

[Unknown]

Quote from: verbam on March 06, 2005, 04:30:04 PM
Previous installation, it needs 1 to 3 seconds to get some action...

That is not fast.  What sort of server is this on (CPU/ram)?

The numbers you're getting are horrid and seem to indicate heavy overall load on the server.  Is it a shared server, with other people on it?  Is the query cache enabled in MySQL?  How much ram is MySQL using?  Apache?

Please add the following to Settings.php, BEFORE the ?>:

$db_show_debug = true;

What query or queries are taking the longest?

How many posts are on the forum?  How many people are using it at once?  What sort of bandwidth/connection does it have?

-[Unknown]

Trekkie101

Dont open in from within MK, open it outside MK portal ;) and it should go faster.

EDIT: Using the MK Portal CP

verbam

Quote from: [Unknown] on March 06, 2005, 04:37:23 PM
Quote from: verbam on March 06, 2005, 04:30:04 PM
Previous installation, it needs 1 to 3 seconds to get some action...

That is not fast.  What sort of server is this on (CPU/ram)?

The numbers you're getting are horrid and seem to indicate heavy overall load on the server.  Is it a shared server, with other people on it?  Is the query cache enabled in MySQL?  How much ram is MySQL using?  Apache?

Please add the following to Settings.php, BEFORE the ?>:

$db_show_debug = true;

What query or queries are taking the longest?

How many posts are on the forum?  How many people are using it at once?  What sort of bandwidth/connection does it have?

-[Unknown]

0.001568078994751  is the maximum time for a query ( others are between 0.00001 and 0.0004)

My server is a Dell PIV 2.6 gig with 256Mb memory and 80 gig HD, it's NOT shared with anyone, query cache is enabled and the ram that MySQL AND Apache is using is MAXIMUM (PEAK) 64 MB.

It is a small forum with: 1681 Posts in 1321 Topics by 253 Members.

My bandwidth is large enough to connect 10 pc's on it & i use only 2 connections (i buy this 10 pc's contract because i did not want to have some limitation.

NOW: I have connected my previous disk again, to  test the speed and it was OK.
BUT because i want to have the latest version from Mysql, php and Apache, i reconnected my new installed HD again and the speed went SLOW again.

With some adjustments on the sql server (query cache on + NO log files) the login proces goes faster but to READa topic it still take 7 to 8 seconds????????

Maybe i can send you my SQL PHP and APPACHE config files to check?
Here you can see the maximum values from the server:   http://verbam.sytes.net/xtra/VERBRUIK_SERVER.PDF [nofollow]
Thanks for the reply

Danny

verbam

Quote from: Trekkie101 on March 06, 2005, 04:47:48 PM
Dont open in from within MK, open it outside MK portal ;) and it should go faster.

EDIT: Using the MK Portal CP

Thanks for the advice.
I am testing now on the forum allone and the problem remain.

i am wondering why!

Thanks again :)

mytreo

Your server is almost the same config as ours (except we have 1gig RAM) and our forum absolutely FLIES so yours should too!

First off I would strongly advise using the latest version of php4 instead of php5 because 5 is still just trouble and will only give you headaches, unless you *really* need it and have lots of time to spend debugging :)

Secondly you should try changing the apache error log reporting level to debug and see what it throws up. There could be any number of things causing SMF to behave slowly -  for example we had Apache configured with the wrong default character set and this caused really slow load times and lots of timeouts because it was putting huge strain on the server. The error log is your friend :)

Another thing is to check how quickly your server responds when just loading a basic HTML page? If it's slow at even loading a pure HTML page then you know it's not just a MySQL/PHP issue.

Chris
Treo forum - Powered by SMF, of course
Treo news - powered by MovableType and integrated with SMF
Treo downloads - hacked from phpNuke and integrated with SMF
Treo knowledge base - powered by Wikka and integrated with SMF
Treo 650 | Treo 700w | Treo 700p

verbam

Thanks !!
I will try to install PHP4 to see or there is some difference.
Html or self made PHP (who does not use MySql)  files loads very fast, it is once i log into SMF, it goes wrong.

I let you know the results today !!!

CU Danny  :)

Ben_S

Quote from: verbam on March 07, 2005, 04:22:47 PM
With some adjustments on the sql server (query cache on + NO log files) the login proces goes faster but to READa topic it still take 7 to 8 seconds????????

Admin > Edit Features and Options > disable the max width of posted pictures option, ie, set it to 0.
Liverpool FC Forum with 14 million+ posts.

verbam

It's already set:
Max width of posted pictures (0 = disable) 
Max height of posted pictures (0 = disable) 

BUT The problem is FOUND
I have formated my disk
installed win2003 + all programs as discribed before (even php 5)
copied the databases + php files from smf
started and the problem was back  :-[
removed the database, removed smf
installed a fresh smf
and it runs fast ;D
copied back my database & it goes slow again  :-\

so the problem was in the database ! (i tought) :P

after 3 days off hard working the problem was 1 avatar ? :'( :'( :'(
this avatar was located outside the smf folder and gived the problem (there was nothing wrong with: extension, size ....)
This is the avatar: and still if i use this one as avatar, everything goes wrong. (if i choose: "I will upload my own picture:", then it is ok)

tomorow i will start to search WHY smf react so badley on this avatar. >:(

in mean time we have made TOGHETER the solution & are my settings for the sql/ php/ apache OK!

THANK YOU ALL TO HELP ME !!!
VerBam Danny

Trekkie101

Is your forum set to "Check avatar size everytime" or similar in the admin panel, that makes things crawl.

verbam

Thanks,
Is your forum set to "Check avatar size everytime" or similar in the admin panel, that makes things crawl.

are there other settings who we have to considder to change to make smf faster?

CU

Trekkie101

Did that work, apart from "Hostname lookup" which is the VERY slow one.

verbam

Hallo Trekkie, (seems to be Dutch)

"Disable hostname lookups?"  is set to YES, must this be yes?
"Check avatar size everytime" is set to NO

It runs faster now, but i think that i have to work on the settings from: apache, mysql and php to see or i can change ther some things who make it running faster.
Give it a try and tell me or my forum runs fast enough http://www.verbam.sytes.net
you can look as visitor in the "programs" section.

Thanks anyway for your help!!!

Ben_S

Liverpool FC Forum with 14 million+ posts.

verbam

Thanks Ben_S
i hope i can get it better now, because the time to load a page is much slower then my previous installation.
Apache consume the most, so i have to see how to tweak this on

CU :)

Trekkie101

Advertisement: