News:

Wondering if this will always be free?  See why free is better.

Main Menu

Ultimate Profile

Started by JovanT, March 12, 2009, 12:14:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

resteve

I reinstalled Ultimate Profile and got it working.  On to other mods!

Thanks gbsothere for all your help.

gbsothere

Great, resteve!   

As you add more and more mods to your site, you may wish to return to manual installation, simply because some mods will want to use the same files that Ultimate Profile does and the package installer may overwrite Ultimate Profile's code, but not all mods place as many tables on your database (and some, not any).  I haven't used the package manager in a long time, because of the number of mods I have, but manual installation gets easier and easier, as you get used to it.  Don't forget to not only enable Ultimate Profile by going to Admin-----> Features And Options-----> Ultimate Profile (control panel) but also go to Permissions to allow each individual member group to edit their profiles.  Also, if you want to allow things like the media box or the uploading of pictures, you'll need to check those boxes in the Ultimate Profile control panel.

:)
My apologies, but I am taking a break from accepting PM requests for support.  If I am not currently assisting you, please do not ask as long as this notice is posted.  Thank you.

I Don't Want To Grow Old Alone

It has been proven that Steely Dan reduces the occurrence of road rage, according to an independent study.

A reminder about admin / ftp passwords etc.

resteve

Thanks again. I have been looking at it a bit. I assume I can set it so that different member types get different access to U.P.
for example:
basic member = standard profile
premium member = ultimate profile

I want to add a "subscription" mod so I can offer a paid premium membership (free basic membership). I saw one that I think will allow me to do that.

gbsothere

That's right, resteve, using your group permissions, you can restrict or grant access as you see fit.  You can manually assign individual members to specific membergroups by going into their profile and to Account Related Settings and using the pulldown to set their membergroup.  (There may be an easier way but that's how I do it.)  To create a new membergroup, just go to Admin----->  Membergroups and click on Add Membergroup.  For instance, you might create a "Premium" membergroup. 

While we're talking about Ultimate Profiles, I just wanted to mention that your users can use .css to tweak their profile.  http://redneckfabrication.com/index.php?action=FunStuff/Custom_Profile_Help offers a basic  css stylesheet that can be played with to achieve different results.  I'll PM you a screenshot of what mine looks like.    :)
My apologies, but I am taking a break from accepting PM requests for support.  If I am not currently assisting you, please do not ask as long as this notice is posted.  Thank you.

It has been proven that Steely Dan reduces the occurrence of road rage, according to an independent study.

backend

What an amazing Mod, wow! Installed and working flawlessly so far :)

Thanks a lot.  I have been trying so hard to add things and match the features offered by Facebook, and this has put me really close to that.

Just a question: is there any way we can add a link under the username to point to his latest added pictures in ultimate profile?

thanks a lot

ElectricSquid

Quote from: gbsothere on August 04, 2009, 10:19:30 AM
While we're talking about Ultimate Profiles, I just wanted to mention that your users can use .css to tweak their profile.  http://redneckfabrication.com/index.php?action=FunStuff/Custom_Profile_Help offers a basic  css stylesheet that can be played with to achieve different results.  I'll PM you a screenshot of what mine looks like.    :)

I'm glad to see people have found use for this write-up.
I know the page looks a little "off" right now, especially the left column, but that's due to other custom changes that I have made, and I haven't had time yet to update the CSS Help page yet.

Just so all of you know, you can copy the code from the CSS help page (through View Source) and post that  page on your own site. I don't mind at all.
If you do update it, please post a link so I can see how you've improved it. Thanks.

ElectricSquid
BSA Skunkworks
RedneckFabrication.com

gbsothere

Quote from: backend on August 04, 2009, 02:26:02 PM
What an amazing Mod, wow! Installed and working flawlessly so far :)

Thanks a lot.  I have been trying so hard to add things and match the features offered by Facebook, and this has put me really close to that.

Just a question: is there any way we can add a link under the username to point to his latest added pictures in ultimate profile?

thanks a lot

That's a great idea!  I think, though, that you may have to post a new topic in SMF Coding, since it's going to be a customization of your template files.  (Watch somebody come along and prove me wrong, though.)   :D  Hopefully, it will be JovanT.

gbsothere

@ ∑£ℓ¢†®¡¢ §ợų¡đ

I first read about it much further back on this thread and I was so relieved!  The last thing I wanted was for my posters to bring MySpace coding to their profiles.   *grin*  I'll PM you a screen shot of my profile on my test forum and some of a couple of my main forum's posters' proflles.  Your script is really nice! 

ETA:   I sent you the links.  The backgrounds are all "fixed" so that only the top images follow the scroll.   :)

backend

Quote from: NenaGb on March 14, 2009, 02:07:10 AM
oh yes and is there a way to show an area of 'Latest Activity' for that particular user such as you find on facebook ?

I didn't quiet see it, did this get answered?

backend

how can I embed a youtube vide in my media box? so when people view my profile, they will see the video.

thanks a lot

gbsothere

@ backend

I can't see that NenaGb's question was ever answered.  I think she even requested a mod for that, but no one's replied.

As for the videos, we're able to do that on our forum, because we have the Aeva mod installed.  LINK  With that mod, you only post the direct link to the video, not special embedding tags.  But I could have sworn I also saw a thread in Tips and Tricks for being able to embed You Tube videos.  I'm not coming up with it in the search, but I don't think I dreamed it.  Perhaps someone else has seen it and will post it. 

backend

Quote from: gbsothere on August 04, 2009, 03:44:13 PM
@ backend

I can't see that NenaGb's question was ever answered.  I think she even requested a mod for that, but no one's replied.

As for the videos, we're able to do that on our forum, because we have the Aeva mod installed.  LINK  With that mod, you only post the direct link to the video, not special embedding tags.  But I could have sworn I also saw a thread in Tips and Tricks for being able to embed You Tube videos.  I'm not coming up with it in the search, but I don't think I dreamed it.  Perhaps someone else has seen it and will post it. 

Thanks a a lot, and it is actually working for me too now ( had to include the <embed> tags)

Like I mentioned before, Facebook is a big challenge and even threat to online communities, especially forums, and things like this mod are very much in need, if we need to stay in competetion.

People make the mistake of thinking "the two are unrelated: forums and facebook, so the latter is not a thread to the former" which I disagree with. Sure they are a little different, until we realize that when people do more of something online, they will do less of the other. So if your community's members are spending a ton of time on Facebook, that means they are spending less time on your website. I know it is a trend and soon everyone will get sick of it, but we don't know how long it will last and we as webmasters can't afford to sit and watch our communities bleed members to Facebook.

As much as I love SimpleMachines, I am disappointed in their slow response to social networking. Sure we have a lot of mods out there, but with the internet's strong adoption and love of 'social networking', SMF is not getting on with time.  At the very least, we need better profile pages (like this mod), a twitter like client, where client can update their status on the fly, ability to add photos albums and so much more.

At its core, SMF will remain a forum, and I wouldn't want that to change.  But there is nothing wrong with adding these extras (part of the source code and not as a mod)

Thanks guys.

gbsothere

Well, you taught me something, backend.   Because of having the Aeva mod, I never realized that simply putting the portion of You Tube's embedding script between (and including) the < embed> tags would place the video in Ultimate Profile's media box.  Nice. 

IlliniCrusader

New to SMF (1.1.10) and I am trying to install 'Ultimate Profile'.  I have the following errors:

QuoteInstalling this package will perform the following actions:
   Type    Action    Description
1.    Execute Modification    ./Sources/Profile.php    Test failed
2.    Execute Modification    ./Sources/Profile-Actions.php    File not found
3.    Execute Modification    ./Sources/Profile-Modify.php    File not found
4.    Execute Modification    ./Sources/Profile-View.php    File not found
5.    Execute Modification    ./Themes/default/Profile.template.php    Test failed
6.    Execute Modification    ./Sources/ManageSettings.php    File not found
7.    Execute Modification    ./Themes/default/languages/Modifications.english.php    Test successful
8.    Execute Modification    ./Themes/default/languages/Modifications.serbian_cyrillic-utf8.php    Skipping file
9.    Execute Modification    ./index.php    Test successful
10.    Execute Modification    ./Sources/Admin.php    Test failed
11.    Execute Modification    ./Sources/ManagePermissions.php    Test failed
12.    Execute Modification    ./Sources/Subs-Members.php    Test failed
13.    Extract Tree    ./Sources    
14.    Extract Tree    ./Themes    
15.    Extract Tree    ./profile_pictures    
16.    Execute Code    database.php    
There are a lot of 'fails' and 'not founds'.  Am I missing something or is the .zip file missing something?  I read the manual install - will that help?

gbsothere

Hi,

Did you download ultimate_profile-0-9_20rc1.zip , instead of ultimate_profile_0-9.zip?  If so, try ultimate_profile_0-9.zip.

Were you trying to install with the package manager?

IlliniCrusader

Quote from: gbsothere on August 04, 2009, 09:24:40 PM
Hi,

Did you download ultimate_profile-0-9_20rc1.zip , instead of ultimate_profile_0-9.zip?  If so, try ultimate_profile_0-9.zip.

Were you trying to install with the package manager?

Yes, I used the package manager and I also tried ultimate_profile_0-9.zip too.  Here's the results of that:
QuoteInstalling this package will perform the following actions:
   Type    Action    Description
1.    Execute Modification    ./Sources/Profile.php    Test failed
2.    Execute Modification    ./Themes/default/Profile.template.php    Test successful
3.    Execute Modification    ./Sources/ModSettings.php    Test successful
4.    Execute Modification    ./Themes/default/languages/Modifications.english.php    Test successful
5.    Execute Modification    ./Themes/default/languages/Modifications.serbian-utf8.php    Skipping file
6.    Execute Modification    ./index.php    Test successful
7.    Execute Modification    ./Sources/ManagePermissions.php    Test successful
8.    Execute Modification    ./Sources/Subs-Members.php    Test successful
9.    Extract Tree    ./Sources    
10.    Extract Tree    ./Themes    
11.    Extract Tree    ./profile_pictures    
12.    Execute Code    database.php

gbsothere

@ IlliniCrusader

What other mods do you have on your site? 

IlliniCrusader

Quote from: gbsothere on August 04, 2009, 09:53:45 PM
@ IlliniCrusader

What other mods do you have on your site?
Just Activity_Bar and TinyPortal.  Should I just try the manual install?

gbsothere

Would you mind attaching your Profile.php file here?

IlliniCrusader

Quote from: gbsothere on August 04, 2009, 09:57:43 PM
Would you mind attaching your Profile.php file here?
This is  /public_html/mysite.com/forum/Sources/Profile.php

Advertisement: