News:

SMF 2.1.4 has been released! Take it for a spin! Read more.

Main Menu

Unable to complete convert.php

Started by spiffypix, March 25, 2009, 06:22:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

spiffypix

]Ugh, please help.

I tried to run the conversion from phpbb3 to SMF and got this messing when running convert.php:

Sorry, the database connection information used in the specified installation of SMF cannot access the installation of phpBB3. This may either mean that the installation doesn't exist, or that the MySQL account used does not have permissions to access it.

The error MySQL gave was: SELECT command denied to user
my SMF database username for table 'phpbb_users'

What does this mean?

I came across this info:

Problem: SELECT command denied to user
Info: The cause of this error is that SMF and Software X are in separate databases and the SMF database user does not have access to Software X's database.
Fix: If your host has cPanel you can add the SMF database user to Software X's database.  If your host does not have cPanel you can contact them with regards on how to accomplish this. As well as a last resort, what you can do is reinstall SMF in the same database as Software X.

How do I know if it's in two different databases or not (I use godaddy)?  I have two database listings (one is running SMF, one is running phpbb).  How do I combine them?  Argh.  In case you can't tell, I'm a complete noob, so please spell it out for me in toddler terms. :)

Thx...

Melanie
[/size]

ThorstenE

the MySQL-User from SMF must be allowed to read the phpBB database. SMF has a file called Settings.php, you'll find the username, password and database name there (open it with a text-editor). phpBB has a config.php with this Infos. compare username, database-name and passwords. If they are different the converter won't work.

you can install SMF to the same database (but different folder in filesystem) as phpBB is installed. they use a different  table prefix (phpBB tables start with phpbb_ , SMF tables start by default with smf_ )

Advertisement: