News:

Wondering if this will always be free?  See why free is better.

Main Menu

WoW - World of Warcraft Tooltips

Started by Garou, March 28, 2009, 04:31:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

HellSpawnCometh

QuoteThe bit about analytics shouldn't be there, did you add it into the scripts someplace?

I did not... and I opened the wowhead_wrapper.php looking for it... it wasn't there...

The only thing I can think of is that my host may have a built in redirect of some sort... I am using hxxp:www.000webhost.com/ [nonactive] which is a free hosting service... so it's quite possible they have something like that built in...

I'll try the fix for the tooltip when I get home, as I can't access the files here at work.

HellSpawnCometh

That did indeed fix the problem with the mouseover tooltip on the BBCode icon...

Now, any ideas on the other problem? lol

Garou

If the host is doing something odd with it there isn't anything I can do. I have to be able to reproduce it on one of my test servers and without knowing what they have in place, I have no clue where even to begin.

You'll have to try and contact them and see if there's anything they can do. With it being free hosting I dont know that you'll get much help. On the upside you can get good quality hosting services for less then $5 a month. I highly recommend blutoshosting.com  I know the owner as hes helped me troubleshoot some of  the issues with this mod and he's got a package for $4.50 a month that's perfect for your average guild site.

kumineko

Hi I have been trying to get this mod to work. When I click on the item linked thru the wow tag it sends me to a page where the whole information is parsed in text. So i really dont know what i should tell my hosting so they can fix this or maybe i could do something to fix it client side. Please help.

Garou

Read through this thread. The first post lists the most common issues and possible fixes. Problems are usually permissions, placement of the wow folder, or the host using mod security.

kumineko

I did change the chmod on the wow folder and it still doing the same thing, no mouseover and clicking on the link sends me to a text page with all the data written.

Garou

Using your host's error log, usually found in cpanel or whatever back end software they use, will give you a good idea of whats happening. Especially if there is a problem with the file location or permissions.

Outside of that it sounds like you have everything set up correctly. Its most likely something your host is doing. You'll have to contact them.

theiceman

anyone tested it with rc5?

btw worked fine for me with rc3/rc4 since modpages shows just until rc3 and the text on the first page is just mentioned that it was tested upto rc2.

Garou

Unless they did something goofy with the posting system it should work just fine.

Since I wasn't even aware RC5 was out till this moment, I haven't tested it yet.

Aoife

All the trials and tribulations I've had with this mod, I did get the mouseover tooltips to work last summer, finally. And it quit working again when Cata was launched and WoWHead updated their website. (I had installed RC4 prior to those 2 events but don't recall now whether the tooltips were working after that or not.)

In any case, the mouseovers aren't working on our site when I use the [wow][/wow] but are working with the [url][/url] tags.  sigh.  i haven't had time to try to figure out where the glitch is - I'll dig into it when i upgrade the site to RC5.....

Garou

I have had it running on my guilds website for several months now, using RC4 and the current version of the mod.

The mod installs using some generic coding that works for most sites but sometimes you get better results by customizing it to run on your site.

Make sure the wow folder is in the root directory of your site, example yoursite.com/wow. Due to the limitations of SMF the mod can not place it there for you, as such it gets installed forums root directory which may not be the root for your site.

Using direct links to the wow folder in your themes ./index.template.php sometimes works better then the defaults. find and change to...
<script src="http://www.wowhead.com/widgets/power.js"></script>
<script src="http://yoursite.com/wow/jquery-1.3.2.min.js"></script>
<script src="http://yoursite.com/wow/wowhead_linker.js"></script></script>

./Sources/Subs.php also has a line that uses a generic link
'content' => '<b><a style="background-color:#303030" href="wow/wowhead_wrapper.php?item=$1" class="wowhead">[$1]</a></b>',

Change to...
'content' => '<b><a style="background-color:#303030" href="http://yoursite.com/wow/wowhead_wrapper.php?item=$1" class="wowhead">[$1]</a></b>',

After that it comes down to your hosts specifications for file permissions and applying that to the contents of the wow folder, usually 655 or 644 will work.

Customizing the mod to your site as outlined above will fix most possible issues. Checking the error log provided by your host (not the one in SMF) will usually tell you exactly what is wrong.

The one potential issue that there is nothing I can do to fix, depends on if your host is using mod_security along with certain rules sets. Some of the java code used in the mod to find an item by name or number and set the color of the link based on the items quality, triggers false positives as an injection script under certain rules for that program.

The codes used by this mod are completely safe and will not harm your site or their server in anyway. However as some malicious hackers out there sometimes use similar coding, some rule sets for mod_security will block the scripts the mod uses from running. You either have to get your host to white list the scripts in the wow folder as safe (the preferred method). You can also get them to turn off those particular rule sets but that can potentially open up your site to attacks by others.

The mod_security issues and fixes were posted long ago on their official blog. http://blog.modsecurity.org/2007/02/handling-false.html

Aoife

i'll have to check and see if i'm using the direct links or not. i think i've done everything else you mention. but i'll double-check everything to be sure.

:D

UPDATE: I changed the links as you suggested and now the tooltips are working again!  woohoo! thank you!

;D

Texl

Hi, liking your mod. :)

My only issue is that you're using jQuery, which conflicts with some themes that use other libraries like MooTools. I'd love it if you could rewrite the mod with jQuery's noConflict() active - doing so would ensure compatibility with all themes.

RustyBarnacle

I just noticed this mod and would be interested in using it as well, but my themes also use MooTools I think.

Texl

I made the necessary modifications in my own environment to allow this mod and MooTools to coexist, wasn't too much trouble.

Essentially, you need to add this after the jQuery library inclusion and before any usage of the $ function:
<script type="text/javascript">jQuery.noConflict()</script>
Also, you have to replace every instance of the "$" symbol with "jQuery" in wow_linker.js. (I think that's the filename, don't have the file list in front of me.)

I'm pretty sure there's a way of closing on a local $ function to prevent having to do all those replacements (there's 10 or so uses of $ to replace), but JS isn't my primary language and it's at least working for me now.

Garou

You guys want to let me know what themes you are using. I need something to test this against before I just update the mod. :)

RustyBarnacle

I use Bloc's paid themes which is unfortunate.  On the other hand my forum isn't a gaming forum so I asked the half dozen or so gamerz if they were interested and they said it would be cool on their gaming sites but not necessary on mine.

Texl

Quote from: Garou on February 25, 2011, 08:45:15 AM
You guys want to let me know what themes you are using. I need something to test this against before I just update the mod. :)
Sorry :)

I'm using this with Bloc's Gamerz theme. I'm unsure if he uses MooTools with free themes, if you don't currently have any paid themes.

Garou

Even though Bloc is a great guy and does make some cool looking themes, I make it a personal rule never to pay for themes or mods. If it isn't available freely or I cant make it myself, I dont need it.

Ill have to see if I cant figure something else out.

Aoife

I just did a mouseover of a tooltip in our forums and got a 'no response from server.' This happened last night and I just dismissed it. But since it's happening again this morning, thought I'd report it. As I recall, WoWhead was having some server issues recently, but don't know what they were exactly.

thanks for any insight....

Advertisement: