Update Your Browser! It's Obsolete!...

Started by klumy, March 29, 2009, 06:51:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Antechinus

Quote from: Tristan Perry on April 12, 2009, 11:57:01 AM
It's all about personal preference. For me, Firefox is very slow (with a fresh install even; on a dual core CPU machine with 3 GB RAM etc). Opera just seems clunky, hence I use Google Chrome. However Chrome is lightweight, hence the only other mainstream option for me is the IE series. Of course, I like that Chrome is lightweight (it is actually fast, unlike Firefox, IE and Opera!) although everyone is different.
It's weird how the same browser can be different for different people. FF3 is fast for me and I have much the same setup as you, although with slightly less RAM and probably lower CPU speed (mine are 1.66 on this old laptop). I've known people who found IE7 was fast but for me it is always incredibly slow. IE6 leaves it for dead as far as speed goes. As noted IE8 is no faster on my box than FF3 or Opera 9.6.

I disagree that Opera is clunky. I think it just gives that impression because there is no bar graph to indicate loading. Consequently it appears to be doing nothing until suddenly the whole page loads, plus it is just plain white page when it's loading rather than staying on the current page until it has something new to load. It's more about the way things are presented than actual functionality. It would be better IMO if they gave some more thought to this. I get the impression they have concentrated on coding without considering how it appears to people.

I've tried Chrome but I don't like it much, nor do I like Google's attitude to installing stuff on my computer. I've given K-Meleon a run or two as well but didn't notice much improvement over FF3, and of course it has less features.

Tiribulus

Maybe I need to examine my FF setup more closely. Like I say it's not like it's slow, but when I use other browsers for testing my SMF site, that's when I notice how fast they are. It's like WOW, this really snaps around, but it's not like it's a drag to go back to FF. I've done a bunch of manual advanced performance tweaks on FF too. Maybe that's where I should start looking.

Linux is another story. It's noticeably slower there, but still not terribly.

Tristan Perry

Quote from: Antechinus on April 12, 2009, 05:17:40 PM
It's weird how the same browser can be different for different people. FF3 is fast for me and I have much the same setup as you, although with slightly less RAM and probably lower CPU speed (mine are 1.66 on this old laptop). I've known people who found IE7 was fast but for me it is always incredibly slow. IE6 leaves it for dead as far as speed goes. As noted IE8 is no faster on my box than FF3 or Opera 9.6.

I disagree that Opera is clunky. I think it just gives that impression because there is no bar graph to indicate loading. Consequently it appears to be doing nothing until suddenly the whole page loads, plus it is just plain white page when it's loading rather than staying on the current page until it has something new to load. It's more about the way things are presented than actual functionality. It would be better IMO if they gave some more thought to this. I get the impression they have concentrated on coding without considering how it appears to people.

I've tried Chrome but I don't like it much, nor do I like Google's attitude to installing stuff on my computer. I've given K-Meleon a run or two as well but didn't notice much improvement over FF3, and of course it has less features.
Yeah definitely; browser experiences tend to vary widly :) I'm now on a different (older) computer than my laptop, and Firefox is here and is the fastest installed... doh!

I think you are right there regarding Opera - your observations about the loading 'style' are exactly what made me think it's clunky, although in retrospect I think you are completely right that it's just because of their rather uninformative loading system.

The Google attitude is something I'm wary of, although as above I feel (at least on my laptop) that Chrome is really my only mainstream option at the moment. Although I've changed browsers 4 times in 1.5 years so I stand to change :P

kat

Quote from: Antechinus on April 12, 2009, 05:17:40 PMI think it just gives that impression because there is no bar graph to indicate loading

Tools>preferences>advanced>"Loading".

"Redraw after 1 second"

If you REALLY want to get down'n'dirty, enter "opera:config" as the url. ;)

Opera's VERY configurable.  :)

Antechinus

kat

Oh, poo!

Lemme check other stuff, coz mine doesn't do that....  :)

kat

Opera:config

Performance.

Max connections to server: 8.

Max Connections Total: 20.

Could it be those?

I'll keep rummaging.

Antechinus

I don't have to do any of this with Firefox. Just download and go. :P

kat

kat

... which don't work, when Firefox updates...

Antechinus

All of mine are working just fine. Mind you I don't load it up with all sorts of stuff I don't need. It still has more capability than Opera.

kat

The one I always miss is "Paste and go", which is standard with Opera.

I think that's one of the "things", with it. I don't need add-on crap, with Opera, coz it's all already there, for me.

Firefox always seems "Cobbled together", if you know what I mean.

Antechinus

Nope, no idea what you mean. Whenever I use Opera I always miss the tools I have in Firefox.

kat

In many ways, I guess it's what you get used to and what your needs are, really.

I use Opera for most things, but Firefox and K-Meleon, for some.

Never, ever do I use IE.

Antechinus

I have to use IE for testing. I wouldn't bother with it for anything else. The main thing I need Firefox for is the web dev add-ons. Opera comes with Dragonfly installed but it just isn't as versatile.

kat

If it helps, I have a portable version of this:

http://www.ioage.com/en/

It uses the IE crock engine.

Antechinus

Why would I want that when I already have IE, and there are already web dev tools available for IE? I can't see the point of installing another, virtually unknown browser that uses a crap rendering engine.

kat

I didn't think of the dev tools.

I use it, coz it's quicker to load and, being portable, any crap it gets is removed, when it's closed.

Advertisement: