Can the default core theme do this?and what are the tool to edit style.css?

Started by Electro-X-, May 03, 2009, 03:31:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Electro-X-

1) can the theme be compressed to make it like the xbox360elite theme -

I mean the board is not to wide but keep it the height the same. For more examples see consolespot.net and gamespot.net. Got my idea? So that there is a space for the left and right background...

IF and IF cannot, do you know any gaming themes that have that?

2) what are the tools used to edit the style.css? I mean while editing i can see the preview. I can do that easily to edit other themes right from the admin panel but for default theme there is no option for it.

thanks.
My New site - consolexp.com

mashby

1). Absolutely, yes. You would need to edit the body class to something like:
edit the margin to be margin: 0px auto;
add width: xx%; where xx is something like 70% or whatever looks best to you.

2) This is a great utility to edit those types of files (as well as php files).
Always be a little kinder than necessary.
- James M. Barrie

Electro-X-

Bigguy

Electro-X-

Electro-X-

i couldnt find it, please can anyone show them directly to me? there is too many margin words in there...i just installed the 2.0RC1 just a couple minutes ago...So its still fresh and same as the default core theme...

mashby

Bumping topics in less than 24 hours isn't really cool.

I checked out your site. It appears you are using Black Silk. So here:
Themes/black_silk_theme/css/index.css

Look for:
/* this is the main container surrounding everything, use this to set forum width, font-size  etc. */
#mainframe
{
font-size: 85%;
width: 95%;
margin: auto;
}

You can either change the 95% to a smaller percentage or go with a fixed width, like 800px; or whatever looks good to you.
- James M. Barrie

Electro-X-

thanks, it worked.

another Q, how do i make the theme go a little bit downward? i mean so that it has some space at the top...

mashby

#mainframe {
font-size:85%;
margin:auto;
padding:3em 0 0;
width:73%;
}

Change that 3em to whatever value you want or keep it as is. It's the top padding value.
- James M. Barrie

Electro-X-

mashby

Quote1em is equal to the current font size. 2em means 2 times the size of the current font. E.g., if an element is displayed with a font of 12 pt, then '2em' is 24 pt. The 'em' is a very useful unit in CSS, since it can adapt automatically to the font that the reader uses

So, yeah, maybe ##px is better if you want to control the absolute position of the top of the mainframe thing.
- James M. Barrie

Electro-X-

mashby

Yep, just add another line to the mainframe thing, something like:
padding:14px 0 0;
- James M. Barrie

Electro-X-

Cool it work...

Off topic question, do you experience a slow loading of my site when browsing?

bullbreedluverz

loads ok for me

i replied to your pm yesterday, if you reply and give me more details i'll help you modify your theme as its one of mine

Electro-X-

hh sorry man, i read that already. But i'm still working on the banner. So i thought i would tell you after the banner is done. Any clue on my other question?

Btw, my site didnt even load for me, i wonder whats wrong, i cant access it right now...does it load straight away for you? If it does then its my problem, if not i'm gonna contact my host...

bullbreedluverz

it loads straight away for me, its must your internet or something

ok you get your banner sorted and then contact me and ill sort all the other stuff out for you too as it will be easier just to do everything at once as i'll need some of your files

oh and it looks like you have adjusted the width of the theme by setting its width as a precentage or by setting larger margins to pull the width in if you want it narrower then you should set it as a fixed width - the way you have adjusted it isnt really the best way to do it

open css/index.css

find

/* this is the main container surrounding everything, use this to set forum width, font-size  etc. */
#mainframe
{
width: 95%;
}

change to

#mainframe
{
width: 950px;
}

Electro-X-

mashby

Let's say you have a user who has a screen width of 1024 pixels and another user who has a screen width of 1280 pixels. If you set the width to a %, the element will be a percentage of that width (second user would be slightly wider). If you set it to 800px, it will be 800px on both screens.
- James M. Barrie

Electro-X-

mashby

Looks pretty sweet to me. As an admin, how many tabs do you have...just curious what happens if the amount of tabs exceeds the width...not even sure it's an issue though.
- James M. Barrie

Electro-X-

mashby

If it's not a problem with your view of it, it's not a problem at all, nope!
:)
- James M. Barrie

Electro-X-

Yeah its not a problem for me. Thanks for your help man! No wonder you got the support helper of the month...now waiting for stikkki to continue help me editing his own theme...

Thanks again man...

mashby

You are quite welcome...that's a slick looking theme, too. Good luck with the future of your site!
- James M. Barrie

bullbreedluverz

told ya sort ya logo out and then i'll tell ya what files i need to make the changes you want done - im waiting on you lol

scareshack

Quote from: stikkki on May 06, 2009, 05:04:16 AM
loads ok for me

i replied to your pm yesterday, if you reply and give me more details i'll help you modify your theme as its one of mine

im sure ill be asking questions as im making this.....
http://www.xboxplayerforum.com

Electro-X-

No stikkki I mean, about my other questions besides the logo thingy. I didnt save a copy of my pm so i dont remember right now what Q i have asked you...

bullbreedluverz

yeah when you have your logo sorted then i'll make all the other changes at the same time as the logobox will probably need editing for the size of your logo so i might aswell do all the edits in one go

Electro-X-

I see...Thanks man.

My gfx designer is quite busy at the moment. But i'll try to have them fast.Sorry for the waiting...:D

bullbreedluverz

Electro-X-

Electro-X-

Here's the required file,

BUt i'm not sure is the subs.php means the subscription.php?

Where can i find the subs.php?

bullbreedluverz

Electro-X-

bullbreedluverz

Electro-X-

Electro-X-

bullbreedluverz

sorry i got a bit bogged down with something for my own forum, i'll get the files posted here for you in a bit

Electro-X-

Electro-X-

Thanks man, but the banner does not appear...where do i put the banner file actually?

Electro-X-

I closed my browser and when I open my site again I got this

"Parse error: syntax error, unexpected $end in /home/gametech/public_html/Sources/Subs.php on line 303"

Any clue?

bullbreedluverz

upload the banner image i attatched to themes/blacksilk/images

erm dont see what the problem is with the subs.php but ive reattatched copy that ive re-edited

Electro-X-

Ok got it working. Thanks man.

Btw, how do i mkae the windows bg color change? I mean the color at the board color, i changed it and the color changed on the preview windows inside the admin place. Then i saved and comeback to the homepage it stayed the same. Any clue?

bullbreedluverz

the bg colours on the main page isnt a colour its an image, it has a grey gradient image to give the index page of the forum some texture and stop it looking so flat

if you want to change it back to just a colour the codes need to be changed from the windowbg thats for the index boards to show the  images to windowbg for normal colour

in BoardIndex.php find all instances of

windowbg4 and change that to wibndowbg
windowbg5 and change that to windowbg2

Electro-X-

Sorry for the late reply I was having a serious net problem.

Btw i Cant get it to work. I got Template Parse Error after doing that. Perhaps you would do it for me? Here i've attached the BoardIndex Template.php for you.

bullbreedluverz

there ya go

you should used a text editor like notepad2 or notepad++ and used its replace feature by setting it to replace all instances of windowbg4 with windowbg and replace windowbg5 with windowbg2

if you dont have a text editor like the the 1s i mentioned it is wise to get either of them for editing files

Electro-X-

thanks.I have both of them and i use them but well maybe there was something wrong with what i've done.

Anyway how do i change the background color? I couldnt find it in the style.css...

bullbreedluverz

change the hex code to colour you want

/* set a fontsize that will look the same in all browsers. */
body
{
font: 95%/90% Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif;
background: #000000;
background:url(images/mainbg.png) #000000;
margin: 0;
padding: 12px 0 4px 0;
}

Electro-X-

thanks man. I appraciate your help a lot. I am looking forward to be working with you again. If you still wanna help me...:D

Anyway thanks again.

Advertisement: