News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

Reply box options

Started by Amacythe, November 23, 2003, 02:47:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Amacythe

What about allowing the admin to select which of the reply options (see below)  to have displayed.  I know many people want to drop the glow and shadow.  Personally I have no need for the table rows or columns and would turn those off.

Spaceman-Spiff

i think it can be removed quite easily in the template

Amacythe

bostasp

Quote from: Amacythe on November 23, 2003, 04:12:59 AM
I mean EACH one.

Yeah, you can remove EACH one in the template as you wish.

Amacythe

ok... I can see that you all don't want to make it easier on the newbs that don't know how to edit their templates.

I've been a member here for a while, with the same type of message in my personal text.  I've messaged a few people on this board (and at YSE) asking for help.  It seems that the only people that even remotely care about making a member feel welcome or are willing to help are the members of the development team.

[Unknown], Jeff, Douglas I want to thank you for your kindness.

bostasp

We all started out as newbies... Hacking at my template was probably the most fun part of learning how to mess with my yabb board...

In responce to this thread, I think this is only really worthwhile as a mod, rather than a main feature in the admin centre. I'm sure we can get Tyris on it :P  When SMF is released, I'll be perfectly happy telling you the code to remove if you like, so would most of the other members.

I wasn't trying to make you feel unwelcome, and if I did, I apologise.

Acf

I wand to drop those to. the glow and shadow do not work in a not ie browser...
so removed them from my board. now al my ubbc tag are in one line and i like it :P
Sigh...

Spaceman-Spiff

Quote from: Amacythe on November 23, 2003, 06:52:56 AM
ok... I can see that you all don't want to make it easier on the newbs that don't know how to edit their templates.

I've been a member here for a while, with the same type of message in my personal text.  I've messaged a few people on this board (and at YSE) asking for help.  It seems that the only people that even remotely care about making a member feel welcome or are willing to help are the members of the development team.

[Unknown], Jeff, Douglas I want to thank you for your kindness.

in beta 1, the bbc are listed like this in the source file:
      $themeContext['bbc_tags'][0] = array(
         'bold' => array('[b]', '[/b]', &$txt[253]),
         'italicize' => array('[i]', '[/i]', &$txt[254]),
         'underline' => array('[u]', '[/u]', &$txt[255]),
         'strike' => array('[s]', '[/s]', &$txt[441]),
         'glow' => array('[glow=red,2,300]', '[/glow]', &$txt[442]),
         'shadow' => array('[shadow=red,left]', '[/shadow]', &$txt[443]),
         'move' => array('[move]', '[/move]', &$txt[439]),
         'pre' => array('[pre]', '[/pre]', &$txt[444]),
         'left' => array('[left]', '[/left]', &$txt[445]),
         'center' => array('[center]', '[/center]', &$txt[256]),
         'right' => array('[right]', '[/right]', &$txt[446]),
         'hr' => array('[hr]', null, &$txt[531]),
         'size' => array('[size=2]', '[/size]', &$txt[532]),
         'face' => array('[font=Verdana]', '[/font]', &$txt[533]),
      );

if you want to remove something, you just need to delete the line, as easy as that
moving them around is also pretty easy to do

a feature to dynamically add or remove bbc tags (via admin center for example) may slow down the forum

Derek

I don't think it would slow down the board that much. Just another couple of 1 or 0 type variables, and a couple of if controls.

[EDIT] Maybe you could have it add or remove them when you change it from the template, going with [Unknown]'s "compiled template" idea.

Spaceman-Spiff

problem is, each tag has different patterns, depending on the attribute, etc

check the function doparsecodesmilies() in Subs.php for example (YaBB SE)
it can be a hassle to code the regex and replace stuff for dynamic BBCode

[Unknown]

I don't think removing glow completely will do good in the way of backwards compatibility.... but, removing as a button is fine, yeah?

I'm going to change it so it's easier to configure.

-[Unknown]

Amacythe

bostasp

Tyris

sorry for bringing up ad oldish thread... I've been away on schoolies (aussie schools over party thing) for a week and are half way through reading the 7 pages of unread topics...

I think [Unknown] said that he was gonna compile a list of "useful template code" for people to use that should allow most people with any minor html knowledge to at least be able to do some of the simpler stuff...

As far as me doing a mod.. ;) I'd be happy to give something a try... but for this kinda thing I really need to see how its coded in SMF to decide what best to do ;)

Advertisement: