Nulavatar for SMF - dynamic avatar mod

Started by Cake!, August 19, 2009, 01:10:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cake!

Nulavatar is a mod for phpbb2 which allows a user to have a dynamic avatar. This includes, but is not limited to, a body image (female/male, etc), clothing, hair, and more. There are different layers. It is much like gaiaonline.

What I'd like is a mod for the latest stable version of SMF that does this same thing. I looked at Avatar Maker but it seems incomplete and it's not for version 1.1.10, either. Does anyone have anything to share?

:) Thanks.

EDIT: I installed it and it works fine; I'm happy now. However, if you do have anything to share, please do. C:

Arwym

It would be glorious, indeed, if ADR (Advanced Dungeons & Rabbits), NulAvatar, Zones, and even Rabbitoshi, were ported to SMF.  But that would be a daunting and very time consuming task; writing something from scratch would probably be better.

However, most RPG mods in history die before they're even finished, as you know.

If I had a little more knowledge --and time- of PHP and SMF modding, I'd love to try.

Anyway, if you're interested in a different dynamic avatar system, there is always Living Avatars, which is actively developed, although it isn't free --but isn't extremely expensive either.

Arantor

The thing also is that it does tend to require art skills to be able to produce. The code stuff is not so complex to do if done reasonably carefully, but relies on art.

I haven't yet seen a compelling reason to write an RPG mod for SMF. Every mod discussion I've seen and/or been part of has come to the same conclusion: each one would ultimately be a base of cookie-cutter implementation. If you want to do something special, a cookie-cutter implementation just isn't going to cut it.

Arwym

My idea of a good RPG mod is not an RPG mod itself, but a series of modifications that can work together if the person chooses to; unless someone can develop a very flexible RPG mod without making it too complicated.  For example, a separate mod for currency, a mod for shops, another the battle system, and so on.  Is this what you call modular?  If so, then that --a modular system- is what I hope to see someday.  I am not sure if I explain myself well.

Right now, I'm trying to learn to write mods from scratch for SMF 2.x, and my first project will be a new virtual currency system, that has nothing to do with shops, and allows the admin to add more than one currency.  I believe there is a mod like this for PHPBB?  If that's the case, you might understand what I mean by this.  Note that, there would be no shop system included.  For that, I would create yet another modification.

Like you say, the coding for something like an RPG --if that is what you meant- is not the most complex.  What I find the most complicated right now is learning how SMF works and how to implement changes and additions to the system effectively.  The most I've done so far is modify the Pets hack for SMFShop to work on SMF 2.0 RC1.

Maybe if there was a mod development kit for SMF2.x, it would be a little easier to get started.

As for what you say about art, I am always willing to provide my own, if that would change anything.

Arantor

The thing with coding mods is that, for the most part, a 'mod development kit' isn't actually going to be that much. Mostly you're interacting with the source itself and the best place for that is the source itself.

What, exactly, would you see as being part of such a development kit? I have to admit I don't use any such thing, I learnt all I know about modding from studying other mods and figuring it out from there.

There are shop mods already that I believe use a virtual currency, which would be the likely place to start.

Arwym

I have used SMFShop and such, but I personally don't think it is what I need.  Plus, the community is rather dead and I'd prefer working on something of my own if I have a chance.

I thought there was a mod development kit for SMF1 already?  Or maybe I misread.  I'm thinking of something like a simple mod example that is well documented.  Unless there are tutorials out there (for SMF2.x), in which case I wouldn't find a "kit" to be necessary.  I don't think that learning from just any mod you find out there is the best way to learn how to write one for SMF properly.  I am talking about something that follows some series of guidelines or standards, something that one can use as a base to start their own mod, if you know what I mean.

Arantor

Most mods should be written to at least a minimal set of standards; all mods are reviewed by the Customizer team before they are released.

As a general guideline, new code should 'not look out of place', i.e. look consistent to the existing code where possible.

A mod itself is little more than 2 or more XML files (plus optional other stuff like DB queries, additional files etc) specifying where to search/replace to add new code in the source. There is plenty of information available from this thread and you're more than welcome to ask any SMF coding related questions in SMF Coding Discussion.

Arwym

Thank you, Arantor.  I will see where I can get started.  I am really motivated to try this.

Anyway, to any person looking for a good dynamic avatar mod for their SMF board, I recommend Living Avatars.  Check their forums, too.  There is a little information I --and other members-- posted there about how you can get an older, free version running with SMF 2.x and SMFShop's currency.  They are simple edits.  :)

Advertisement: