News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

Board Notification Mod - 1.2.2 released

Started by SabreOfParadise, May 28, 2009, 12:36:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wilo

Hi,

Thanks for the clarification.  It was working fine for me in the past.

I have removed all individual notifications from my profile.  I go to a board, click notify, check any topic and the notification status is still off.  This implies the mods not working for my forum correct?

If so can you please advise on the best way to roubleshoot this?

Thanks again for all your help and responses.

W.

SabreOfParadise

It is called board notification mod. So why are you checking the topic notifications?

To check if it is working:
- Subscribe to a board
- Create a test user
- Make a new topic with the test user

Second test:

- Make a new topic with your own user
- Answer with the test user

If you get an email in both cases the board notification mod is working.

Wilo

Hi,

Thanks for the tests.  I'm checking for topic notifications because of the following statement in the mods description.

QuoteUser will get notified of new topics and new posts if subscribed to the corresponding board.

Forgive me, i'm now very confused.  Running the tests with, and without the mod has the same results.

Thanks again for your help with this. 

SabreOfParadise

The statement you are citing doesn't mention topic subscriptions. Perhaps the word subscription will make it more clear. You can subscribe to a board or to a topic in an unmodded SMF. When you are subscribed to a board you'll get just get notified of new topic not of new posts in existing topics. The board notification changes just that you'll also get notified of new posts in existing topics when you are subscribed to the board. Like the unmodded SMF the board and topic subscriptions are independent. So if you are subscribing to the board you are not subscribing to all topics. That's why you will not see your subscription in any of the topics within the board although you should get notified like you are subscribed to all topics plus when a new topic is created.
That's pretty much what you can already read in the first posting here, just using different words.

Which same results are you getting? If you don't get an email in neither case even the standard board notification for new topics doesn't work.
Check if the topic notifications are working and I suggest to use a different board for that test. Create a new topic there, make sure you are subscribed and add a posting there with the test user.
If you don't get a notification then, too, your email configuration is wrong.
If you get a notification I guess you've messed up something in the code. That would raise further questions: What exact SMF version are you using? How did you install the mod? If with the package manager: Did you get any errors? Do you have any other mods installed? If you still have a copy of your unmodded SMF: Check the files changed by the mod (you can see them in the package manager) with a diff tool like WinMerge in Windows or diff in Linux for differences with the unmodded SMF. If the files are identical you have issues with your package manager and the board notification mod is not correctly installed. If the files are different it's best to pack the modified files in a ZIP file and attach it here so I can have a look at them.

valmiki

QuoteHi everyone!!!
I have finally got some help from a very nice person that solved this problem (at least in my case).
I hope that someone can benefit from my experience.

I am still not sure whether my problem was due to a Server Settings issue but here is what I have done to solve my case:
After the installation, I have of course changed the permissions according to the Mod.

At this point every time that I would reply to any Topic this error always appeared:
The email template "notify_boards_body_reply" could not be found.
Notification wouldn't be delivered, Post was posted but the user would be confused by the message and keep wondering whether the Post was posted or not.

Since I have Italian language enabled I had to do the same modification on two files: EmailTemplates.english.php and EmailTemplates.italian-utf8.php

The modification is the following ... I have copied the following code contained in the above files:

Quote'notify_boards_body_reply' => array(
   /*
      @additional_params: notify_boards_body_reply
         TOPICSUBJECT: The subject of the topic causing the notification
         TOPICLINK: A link to the topic.
         UNSUBSCRIBELINK: Link to unsubscribe from notifications.
      @description:
   */
   'subject' => 'New Reply: {TOPICSUBJECT}',
   'body' => 'A new reply, \'{TOPICSUBJECT}\', by {POSTERNAME} has been made on a topic on a board you are watching.
You can see it at
{TOPICLINK}
The text of the reply is shown below:
{MESSAGE}
Unsubscribe to new topics and replies from this board by using this link:
{UNSUBSCRIBELINK}
{REGARDS}',
),

Then pasted it right after and then rename the class
notify_boards_body_reply
into
notify_boards_body_reply_reply

When I did this the error message stopped appearing and the Reply was notified to the users registered to that Board.

I hope this is going to help people having this same problem.

SabreOfParadise

Quote from: valmiki on August 04, 2012, 04:43:15 AM
I hope this is going to help people having this same problem.

This happens only when you use a language that is not supported by the mod. Like italian.

valmiki

Thank you very much for the reply. I only wish I knew it earlier.

SabreOfParadise

I thought this was clear as I mentioned the supported languages in the description of the mod.

When I mention that something is supported logic says there may be problems if I use something that is not supported.

valmiki

Well, then I apologize, totally my fault.

BFriendly

SabreOfParadise,

I think it would be useful for you to provide navigation instructions to the new settings & features your Mod adds to the software.  I'm rather new, and have looked all over my site and cannot find them, found the "release page" where I downloaded the Mod and read the comments and could not find them, and now I'm scanning this thread, and have not found them yet, if they exist.

The description "sort of" sounds like the Mod adds capability but doesn't allow you to enable/disable etc... it?

In my case, my new forum isn't very well populated and I haven't the time to create new content, etc... but I want to make sure to give an immediate response if/when a New User (or any other Member) registers, posts, etc..  hence I want the instant email notification when anyone does anything on the board (literally).  Also so I can jump right on top of any spam that gets through the filter, etc...

I apologize if this information is "somewhere", but I feel like I could look for the next 3 days and not find it.

Any help?  Thanks in advance.

SabreOfParadise

Well, there is a small screenshot on the mod page: http://custom.simplemachines.org/mods/index.php?mod=1861
I cannot post it here because the file extension is not included.
http://custom.simplemachines.org/mods/index.php?action=download;mod=1861;id=101091;image

The screenshot is from SMF 1 but it looks similar in SMF 2. So the mod adds the permission ,Request notification on new replies for subscribed boards' in the notifications section.
You can find these permissions in SMF 2 when you click on Admin and then Permissions and then select a user group to modify.

Edit: It is also described on the mod page:

QuoteNotes:
- In the version 1.0 state this mod should only be used on small, closed forums to avoid email flodding!
This issue is targeted with version 1.1 of the mod. It adds a new permission 'Request notification on new replies for subscribed boards'
to restrict the use of the mod to certain user groups. Per default the mod is now only active for admins and moderators.

Normally an admin should now where to find the group permissions.  :P

IngeJones

Is this likely to be compatible with 2.0.4?  I can see it only claims to be up to 2.0.2 but the two later versions were just security fixes as I understand it.

SabreOfParadise

I'm actually running it with SMF 2.0.4 so that should be no problem. Will update the mod page.

PenelopeQ

I just added a few new mods and am now getting the same error message as was described here in Reply #111:
QuoteThe email template "notify_boards_once_reply" could not be found.
It shows up when replying to a thread, but not every time. It appears to be isolated to our moderator's only board—which is the only place I recommended they use this feature.

Here's a list of my mods, the three new ones are in blue (added 22 and 23 June)
Mod Name Version
Register At Post View v.1.1 1.1
Board Notification Mod 1.2.1
Personal Messages to Membergroups 1.4.3
Drafts 1.1.1
Bad Behavior mod 1.5.4
Join Reason 1.3
Default_Membergroup 1.0.1
Gender on Memberlist 1.5
Anti-Spam Links 1.0.1
Stop Spammer 2.3.9
SMF 2.0.4 Update 1
Topic & Board Note 1.0.3
SMF 2.0.2 Update 1
Last Active On MemberList 1.4
Move Old Topics 1.3.8
SMF 2.0.3 Update 1
Since I am not translating to an unsupported language, I assume that the changes Valmiki described in Reply 124 do not apply to me.
I have attached the file EmailTemplates.english.php as was requested in Reply #112. I found this file in myforumfolder/Themes/core, but I use the Curved Life theme which is a different folder, could that be part of the problem?

TheListener

Are there any other error messages in the forum error log?

Your bad behaviour mod is outdated the current version is 1.5.16   ???

PenelopeQ

There are not other errors--other than the usual incorrect passwords.
Do I need to update bad behavior to fix this--could that be part of the problem, or can I get this resolved first?
I will update it, but I'm tending to several things at once and would like it if I don't have to add one more.

I forgot to say that this error really does nothing other than shows us the message. The posts/replies still go through without a problem. It just confuses people because they get this error which makes it look like their submission didn't go through, but if they just go to the menu and click on the board, they can see it worked.

TheListener

Penelope I'll mention this to one of the teamies whom ( I hope) knows more about this than I do.

Regarding the bad behaviour mod I would say get it updated as soon as this is corrected.

:)

Colin

If you make another board, that has the same permissions as your moderator only board, do you still have the same issue?
"If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody is not thinking." - Gen. George S. Patton Jr.

Colin

PenelopeQ

I just tested using my Parked thread board--same permissions.
I tested by using two accounts and I started a thread with each account and replied from each and did not get the error. I set up notifications on that board after starting the first test topic.

No error messages on that board. But then I haven;t got the error every time I've posted on the other board--maybe 80% though.

Probably coincidence, but still related. Notifications have never worked for me on my board--not in my admin account. I tested in my test account today and got notified for the first time in 3 years. Irony is that both accounts have the same email. I tried to set up my admin account with the same settings as my test and still not notifications. But this is just my account and it's been going on for years, whereas the error message has gone to several people, but only on that one board. So I don't think there is a direct relationship and I was planning to post on the main board about my personal notification issue once this is resolved.

Advertisement: