Link Inbox/Outbox and display as thread.

Started by Touti, April 04, 2007, 09:50:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Touti

I'm sorry if this has been requested before but I didn't see it and frankly I didn't know what keywords I could use in a search.

What I would like is a feature that would allow me to link (merge, join, attach, whatever we want to call it) Inbox and Outbox messages so they could be displayed as a forum thread.  Like most forum admins I receive and send a lot of PM's.  We often find ourselves having full conversations over a few days by exchanging pm's.

Sometimes we want to keep it for future reference but if we do they become hard to track because they're mixed with other pm's and we don't have labels for Outbox.  The way I see this working is simple (from a user's perspective  ;)).

First, we'd have a place to create "PM Threads", just like we do labels.  Then, we would mark the messages using the checkbox that is already there, select a "PM Thread" from a dropdown list at the bottom and click the "Add to PM Thread" button.  Repeating the operation in the Outbox would put all messages in the same "PM Thread" (Which really is a virtual folder).

Finally, we'd have a list of "PM Threads" on the left that we could use to display its messages, sorted by message ID. 

This would make it very easy for admins to archive long sequences of PM's with a forum member and be able to re-read it in sequence without having to go back and forth between Inbox and Outbox.

This could actually replace the current "Labels" feature since it would do pretty much the same but with more advanced features.

Dannii

I'd keep labels, but more think of it as a 'GMail' view.
"Never imagine yourself not to be otherwise than what it might appear to others that what you were or might have been was not otherwise than what you had been would have appeared to them to be otherwise."

NEMINI

having PM's thread ala Gmail would be a fantastic thing and make it much easier to follow a PM over the course of its life.
signatures are boring.

Advertisement: