News:

SMF 2.1.4 has been released! Take it for a spin! Read more.

Main Menu

Priority Set Thread parameters..

Started by BiGBLiZZ, November 21, 2005, 10:26:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BiGBLiZZ

I just switched over from phpbb2.17 (yay, clap, hooray)  However, due to the type of site that I run, and the method of forum topics and posts, I really need a way to set a priority for each thread.

for example, my game site has around 300 current levels, my help forum has each level grouped by 10.  and split again by 100's (see it here to get the visual idea:  CWoT Forum  )

Now due to the nature of the layout, I need the threads to be set from top to bottom, level 1 at the top, level 10 at the bottom, then new board, with levels 11 through 20 in order, etc etc.

PHPBB had a "hack" that did this (I know, boo hiss boo), but I ran this hack and it worked WONDERFUL! I would love to see the same for SMF.  the phpbb hack can be seen here, for any mod writers to see first hand what I am referring to: Topic Cement Hack

The closest I have is the Board Sort Mod, which works fine, but now I have to use stickies where I don't want to.

I would love to see a mod (or someone tell me what to write without a mod) that will allow me to set a priority say 1 - 20, for each thread in a board.  then the board will sort the threads by these priority numbers.

I have done extensive searches here, and found nothing close enough to what I need.

Any help is appreciated!

On a side note, as this is my first post here...  SMF..Way To Go!  This is the best I have seen yet, and the conversion was WAY tooo easy!  Congrats, and keep up the great work!
Think you are clever?
Prove It!

PerJ

I consider to go from phpBB to SMF but I really misses a mod I have had great use of, Topic Cement, found on http://www.phpbbhacks.com/download/2778

I'm testing SMF 1.1 RC1 and can't find out whether there is a way to sort topics in this way or not.

I have a board with up to 30 upcoming events (topics), all events are not posted at the same time, people can reply at any topic anytime, this makes it diificult to have a predefined sort order of the topics.

BiGBLiZZ

Nope. nothing like that yet.  However, that alone is not worth NOT switching.  SMF offers so much more, and if you are smart enough there are tiny little work arounds.

Like for example, on my forums I have set up board sorting by Subject, and then put the topics of my threads like:

(01) Important topic 1
(02) Semi Important topic
(03) Sponge-Bob rules

Etc...

The package manager alone is worth the switch...  emagine doing that topic cement hack in 2 clicks and NEVER having to open a tpl???  (SMF doesn't have tpl's)  ALL "hacks"  are in mod packages and you just click to upload and install them...  sweeeeeeet!
Think you are clever?
Prove It!

Advertisement: