News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

Changes in how mods affect themes 1.1.x -> 2.0?

Started by TurtleKicker, July 17, 2009, 06:06:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TurtleKicker

I was wondering if someone could explain in-detail (or point me in to the proper location/thread if it's been explained already) how SMF2 will differ from SMF 1.1.x in how mod edits to themes will be better handled/organized. I've picked up some that things will be improved, simpler, and how it sounds like the edits a mod will need to do will be consolidated separately in a manner than can apply across all themes, eliminating or at least reducing the amount of manual editing needed, especially for non-default themes. Maybe I have my information wrong, but even if I'm right, I'd love a detailed and more-complete breakdown of how things will be improved/different come SMF2 so I know what's in-store.

Thanks.

N3RVE

In SMF 1.x, most mods will install on the default theme, as such, you'd have to manually alter the custom themes' template files to insert the mod's code.

In 2.x, there's an option in the Packages section of the Admin CP that will enable you select the theme other themes for the package manager to modify.

-[n3rve]
Ralph "[n3rve]" Otowo
Former Marketing Co-ordinator, Simple Machines.
ralph [at] simplemachines [dot] org                       
Quote"Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known." - Carl Sagan

karlbenson

Although 2.x can attempt to apply mods to other themes, if the theme differs from the core theme on the part which the mod is attempting to edit, then that edit will fail, and manual edits may still be required.

Advertisement: