News:

SMF 2.1.4 has been released! Take it for a spin! Read more.

Main Menu

[PAID/FREE] Pm emal restrictions

Started by blokey, December 23, 2009, 04:18:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

blokey

Subject: [PAID/FREE] Pm emal restrictions
Version
2RC 2

Description
Is it possible to design a mod where PM and email actions can be restricted to specified user group, groups or individuals that are created by admin and have admin control the ability of these groups to communicate between themselves and others.

Permissions
Admin grant to designated individuals group or groups no user choice permissions granted except Ignore member groups group in profile ignore list.

Feature Set
User ability to ignore member group included in ignore list.

Wish List

Ladies and Gents
I don't know how to explain this so I am going to put it as a wish list and add my reasoning to this in the final paragraphs.

Overall forum Use.
I wish the following
That people cannot email each other and their email address can only be used between themselves and admin and that no visible email fields are user controllable or viewable.
If this is not possible then
I wish that all email fields except on registration were hidden to users.
In effect all I wish for is for the member to only have the ability to PM Onsite.

Permissions
I wish that I could grant specific permissions to allow messaging between member groups only and unless I am mistaken at the moment a profile allows this but the permissions for member groups in that profile does not, so if I allow it in one profile it is generically allowed on the site.

The reasoning behind this that might make it Clearer
If I have an 18 year old female member then I do not want a 50 year old man to be able to message her yet I want her to be able to message 50 year old men if she chooses.
At the end of the day it is her choice to allow this nobody elses.
I know she can restrict messaging in her profile and block specific members but it is not generic so I have created member groups and board access based on ethical and moral guidelines.
I have a duty of care to my members and am trying to ensure this duty of care exists that's all.

Quite happy to pay for this work if you consider it a non valid free request but implications of cost must be considered.
SMF Version 2.0 RC2     Server Info Apache version 2.0.63 PHP version 5.2.9 MySQL version 5.0.81-community Architecture x86_64 Operating system Linux

Arantor

I thought you were talking about restricting who PMs could be sent *to* in your other thread.

Restricting who can *send* PMs is easy - it has a separate permission for reading and sending.

blokey

Sorry getting confused
let me put it like this

218 year old girl

I dont want a 50 year old man to be able to pm her or any other 18 year old girl unless she allows,, I want to be able to give her the choice  of who can contact her irrelavent to the board she may be in.
she may be in a general board where anybody can post topics. but i do not want the populus of that board to access any communication process allowing them to contact without her consent.
her choices to enter forums above the restrictions in place is her choice.

SMF Version 2.0 RC2     Server Info Apache version 2.0.63 PHP version 5.2.9 MySQL version 5.0.81-community Architecture x86_64 Operating system Linux

Arantor

There is an option in user profiles for PMs as to who they can receive from (Profile > Personal Messaging). Set that to Buddies or Administrators Only.

That way, only people that the user 'buddies' (which is their choice) or site admins can send them a PM.

Offhand I don't know how to make it reset that value for everyone though.

blokey

Ok I need to make a wish list up because even though I can control the actions of pm.s within a group I cannot allow an override or choice of a person to change specific gender or age restrictions i have created. If you want I will give you admin apr so you can see the point I am trying to make.

Arantor

Oh, I understand the point you're trying to make.

If you can add all that detail in to your first post, I'll approve the topic and hopefully someone will build it for you. There are no guarantees of course though.

blokey

yeah it is midnight here so i will complete the task tomorow if ok

blokey

Found this

http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=233008.msg1506537#msg1506537

it still sends an email out to the recipient but it comes from the board so no references to sender and no email addresses on board or in send pm,,, it hides everything apart from admins email,,, going to try it on ultimate profile and dynamic member list and let you know.
right it is 430 am UK and I am  tired lol

works great on UProfile and Dynamic member List, no emails shown or allowed....

Wey hey lol

Still cam pm but thats just down to permissions I think.

Need to have a play with permissions to see how they work if ok so I can request this mod with a bit more background knowledge.

Advertisement: