converting content items to SMF posts

Started by kai920, July 28, 2009, 10:30:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kai920

Heya,

I asked previously about converting SMF posts to Joomla/Mambo content items, but now am wondering if anyone has done the opposite i.e. convert content items to SMF posts. Is there a script available somewhere?

Thanks

H

I'm not familiar with Mambo however if there is a function that can be used to easily grab each item, then it is very easy to use SMF's functions to insert them as posts.

I believe Mambo may store items in the database with full html (rather than bbcode or similar like SMF)? If this is the case they can probably be pulled directly from the mambo database by any conversion script?
-H
Former Support Team Lead
                              I recommend:
Namecheap (domains)
Fastmail (e-mail)
Linode (VPS)

kai920

Quote from: H on July 31, 2009, 04:46:31 PM
I'm not familiar with Mambo however if there is a function that can be used to easily grab each item, then it is very easy to use SMF's functions to insert them as posts.

Hmm that is a good idea. Which of these functions should I be looking at to insert them as posts? Perhaps post2? assuming I figure out how to grab it from Mambo in the first place of course...

QuoteI believe Mambo may store items in the database with full html (rather than bbcode or similar like SMF)? If this is the case they can probably be pulled directly from the mambo database by any conversion script?
You are correct, the body of the content is stored in two columns (introtext and fulltext) with full HTML tags. Is it okay to keep the text as HTML or should they be converted to bbcode inside smf_messages?

btw, As far as I know, the number of views on a topic resides inside smf_topics. What do you think is the best way to convert this?

Kindred

I converted my mambo articles into SMF articles (VBgamer's mod)

however, I did it manually, directly in mySQL
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

kai920

Quote from: Kindred on August 01, 2009, 07:56:24 PM
I converted my mambo articles into SMF articles (VBgamer's mod)

however, I did it manually, directly in mySQL

You don't happen to have reference to the used mySQL statements do you? I don't use SMF articles but they still might be useful...

Kindred

Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

kai920

Thanks man, that would be most appreciated.

kai920

Kindred

Hey Kai,

I started to put together a post for you, but then work got crazy because I am on vacation this week.   I'll finish it up when I get back next week (posting from a netbook right now, so no real access to my programming tools)
Слaва
Украинi

kai920

Ah thanks for that, looking forward to your post :)

I know what you mean about the netbook, had to use one the entire summer and it's not very suitable for work...

kai920

A very gentle bump, in case you are back from vacay O:) ;D

kai920

Hi Kindred,

any luck finding those SQL statements?

Many thanks

Kindred

Kai,

I am EXTREMELY sorry for not getting back to you on this.
I had an attack of "life" and then recently there has been stuff going on within SMF which is taking all of my free time.   I really will assemble these SQL statements one day, real soon now (tm)
Слaва
Украинi

kai920

hey Kindred,

No worries, I actually sought out the help of Arantor in the SMF Coding board and wrote my own little script using insertPost() to convert most of the content over. I learned quite a bit doing it, and I *think* everything went according to plan :)

Advertisement: