News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

Announce Topic Not working

Started by Bobn, August 02, 2009, 06:33:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bobn

Using SMF 2.0 RC1.2  but my announce topic is not working

greyknight17

Were you using SMF 2.0 RC1.1 prior to this? If so, when you did the update was there any errors?

What problems are you having with it? Not sending emails out? Check to make sure email is working in your forum in general just to be sure.

Bobn

Quote from: greyknight17 on August 02, 2009, 09:07:13 PM
Were you using SMF 2.0 RC1.1 prior to this? If so, when you did the update was there any errors?

What problems are you having with it? Not sending emails out? Check to make sure email is working in your forum in general just to be sure.

No sir, this is a fresh install. When I select "Announce Topic" in the advanced options. It goes through the process of who to send to and finishes however none of the selected people  receive the notification

greyknight17

Can you confirm if the email function is working at all in your forum? See if topic notifications, newsletters or PMs are sending out via email properly.

Bobn

Quote from: greyknight17 on August 03, 2009, 10:11:06 PM
Can you confirm if the email function is working at all in your forum? See if topic notifications, newsletters or PMs are sending out via email properly.

Yes, they all work

greyknight17

Since this is a new install, we can try installing another copy of SMF to make sure this one wasn't just corrupted somehow. Try to get a new install to a different folder and point it to this same database. See if announce topic works there. If so, delete the old one that's not working and rename this folder to that same one. Run repair_settings.php and that should get you up and running again.

zeroandone

I have the similar problem about Announce Topic.

My site was upgraded from RC1.1 and now when I check Announce Topic then click Post, the system does not take me to the page where I can choose who to send to, but directly goes back to the board index page.

Please help.

Thanks,

Jeffrey
ASP.NET developer
Drupal fan
Joomla fan
Ubuntu newbie
http://www.codingbeaver.com

Arantor

zeroandone: What about the questions as asked above - do those features work correctly?

zeroandone

Quote from: Arantor on September 20, 2009, 02:00:48 PM
zeroandone: What about the questions as asked above - do those features work correctly?

Yes, email is working, PM is working. I just don't see the page where I can choose which group I want to notify the new post.
ASP.NET developer
Drupal fan
Joomla fan
Ubuntu newbie

Arantor

Announce Topic doesn't have a per-group feature, it just announces to everyone. It's the newsletter feature that has a per group option AFAIK.

zeroandone

But I am sure it was there before. When I post a new topic, I click "Additional Options", then check Announce Topic then click Post; I will then be redirect to a page to let me choose which group I want to send the announcement. Now it's gone. Also my users don't receive any new topic announcement even I check "Announce Topic" option, even though my email is working and PM is working.
ASP.NET developer
Drupal fan
Joomla fan
Ubuntu newbie

Arantor

I don't recall Announce Topic ever behaving on a per-group level, and as for the failure, check the mail queue to see if there are still emails waiting to go out (it may have been stopped by your host depending on the number of users you have)

zeroandone

Quote from: Arantor on September 21, 2009, 04:36:28 PM
I don't recall Announce Topic ever behaving on a per-group level, and as for the failure, check the mail queue to see if there are still emails waiting to go out (it may have been stopped by your host depending on the number of users you have)
The OP mentioned the same feature as I mentioned:
Quote from: Bobn on August 02, 2009, 09:12:16 PM
When I select "Announce Topic" in the advanced options. It goes through the process of who to send to and finishes however none of the selected people  receive the notification

ASP.NET developer
Drupal fan
Joomla fan
Ubuntu newbie

Arantor

Hmm, seems I was wrong; it isn't a feature I use frequently which is why I didn't recognise it.

So, do you get any errors in the error log? Are there any emails still waiting to go in the mail queue? Limited by email settings, blocked by host?

[SAP]Francis

Vehicles Forum

Founded By Francis Morissette

Advertisement: