News:

Wondering if this will always be free?  See why free is better.

Main Menu

import users smf 1.18 to the 2.0

Started by toscano, August 10, 2009, 06:36:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

toscano

Hello, sorry my English is bad, actually used the google translator to send this post.

I have now a forum on SMF version 1.18, with about 17,000 users, and I am moving this forum to another domain, but I wanted to start from scratch, just putting the tutorials on my forum and organize things.

then decided to SMF 2.0 RC1.2, I found wonderful, but I want to import only the entries from the old to the new system ie:

import users and nothing more, so could keep logins, passwords for all so that when each entry in the new forum does not need to register again.

this is possible? if someone could help me that? phpMyAdmin tried to download by mistake but it's time to open the forum, says there was an error in the database.

I wait anxiously for some kind of help, and I anticipate my thanks to all

Toscano

Antechinus

You can do this, but the database tables are not compatible from 1.1.x to 2.0. The best way of doing it would be to upgrade the existing database to 2.0, then export the tables you want.
These can then be imported into your new database.

If you want to continue to use your existing site while making the changes I would suggest making a duplicate of your 1.1.x site and running the upgrade to 2.0. Be careful to change the database settings and all file paths to make sure there is no interference between the two sites. Both sites should be put in maintenance mode while setting up the duplicate site, and repair_settings.php should be run on the duplicate as soon as its database is running with the duplicate content.

If you can shut down your existing site temporarily then you could just upgrade that to 2.0, then export the database tables you want to use for the new site.

toscano

Friend, thank you for help and information.
be doing some tests here and so I can update the topic with the result.
just one last question. If I make a local copy on my computer because I have installed xammp here, even so I had to disable the online?

because the site is accessing the database in phpmyadmin XAMPP site. or not?

now appreciate the help that is giving me.

Antechinus

That will be fine. You will still need to run repair_settings.php on the local installation after you import the database but it wont interfere with your online site. Using a local for testing is the best option by far. With 17,000 members I imagine your db is quite large. You will have to edit the php config files to import anything over a couple of meg.

When I tried doing this with XAMPP I had trouble getting the new settings to stick. I found Vertrigo was the solution. It fires up and shuts down much faster than XAMPP too.

toscano

Ok, do the tests here and see what happens, anyway I will backup everything before you do not have any unpleasant surprise.

I would like to thank the help we are giving me.

The site is to be congratulated! very organized and quick in response.

Big hug

Toscano

N3RVE

I'm going through old 'unresolved' topics, do you require any further support?
If they are none, please mark this topic as solved to indicate otherwise, reply if you require additional assistance :)

-[n3rve]
Ralph "[n3rve]" Otowo
Former Marketing Co-ordinator, Simple Machines.
ralph [at] simplemachines [dot] org                       
Quote"Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known." - Carl Sagan

mandukar

those for futore reference all u need to do is use the large upgrade package for 2.0 it'll convert everything over, it worked on mine anyway.

greyknight17

Topic will be marked as solved. Toscano, if you still have problems feel free to mark it back as unresolved. Also, if you feel more comfortable in your language, feel free to look here to see if it's listed for support.

Advertisement: