News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

Remove (no subject) from Personal Messages

Started by Chas Large, September 17, 2009, 12:53:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

faeriedust

Chas Large

@faeriedust, look in

Forum/Themes/default/languages and you'll find index.english.php

Upload it here and I'll check it for you.
My Modifications :)  My Forum

Please DO NOT PM me with support requests. Post the problem in the appropriate Support Board so everyone can benefit from the advice given.

Robert.

faeriedust

Quote from: Chas Large on November 04, 2010, 11:20:04 AM
@faeriedust, look in

Chas, I go into themes & layout, modify themes, but there is no "default" theme listed, just the regular name of each theme.
When I look under themes & settings, the default directory shows up but that doesn't help me with modifying the language file.
This is why I'm so confused.

Chas Large

Quote from: faeriedust on November 04, 2010, 05:26:56 PM
Quote from: Chas Large on November 04, 2010, 11:20:04 AM
@faeriedust, look in

Chas, I go into themes & layout, modify themes, but there is no "default" theme listed, just the regular name of each theme.
When I look under themes & settings, the default directory shows up but that doesn't help me with modifying the language file.
This is why I'm so confused.
So there is no theme named SMF Default Theme - Curve (2.0 RC3) ?

If not then your default theme must have been renamed something else. What theme is used by non-logged in members? this will be your default theme.

If possible, it may be easier to access the site via FTP (Filezilla, CuteFTP etc), this should show the Directory structure as I mentioned above and allow access to the files for downloading and editing.

Please DO NOT PM me with support requests. Post the problem in the appropriate Support Board so everyone can benefit from the advice given.

Oya

probably because it won't let you actually go into modify themes for the default theme to prevent you breaking things...

if you're using 2.0... there's a built in language editor! (which should be used instead!!!!)

faeriedust

I'm using 1.1.12 but I don't see what that would have to do with modifying the default theme. Perhaps 2.0 is set up differently.

Oya

nope

you can't modify the default theme's files from the admin panel because every theme implicitly relies on the default theme, so editing the default theme is not allowed through the admin panel

faeriedust

Okay, then what you're saying is that I can't modify the default theme from admin, right? If that's so, then how does every one else do it? According to Chas, it should be listed in the "modify themes" section with all the other themes but it's not.

Oya

no, you can't modify it from admin, you have to copy it to a new theme to be able to modify it and even then that won't be the language files

if you want to edit those you will have to do so via ftp

Chas Large

Quote from: Oya on November 05, 2010, 12:40:08 PM
no, you can't modify it from admin, you have to copy it to a new theme to be able to modify it and even then that won't be the language files

if you want to edit those you will have to do so via ftp
Not strictly true. In SMF 2.0 you can edit the files in the default theme. Admin > Themes & Layout > Modify Themes > then click on Browse the templates and files in this theme. This option is available for all installed themes including the default. It give a tree of directories. Click on languages gives the files listed inside. Click the file and it opens in the internal editor.

However you are correct in that you cannot edit the default theme's files in 1.x.x You can in fact only edit the CSS and Template files and then only for the extra themes installed by the Admin, the default, classic and babylon files cannot be edited either.

@faeriedust You will need to edit them off site and upload via FTP.

Advertisement: