News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

Have shared accounts want to prevent users from changing password

Started by wakewatcher, September 26, 2009, 12:38:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wakewatcher

I have an application for a sports team where the coaches each have their own accounts and the head coach has a second account (email address) for the general team account.  This allows him to 'turn it off' by changing the password.  However it also allows anyone else with that account to change the password.  How can I make it so that the password can't be changed in the account profile but only by the 'forgot password' method where it does it through the owner's email account? I suppose that I could make a special member group for that one account (actually many accounts in the same situation) but I would really like to just click something to not allow the general account to change the password.  If its not possible for individual accounts I would probably prefer to make it necessary for all accounts just to get this feature.  Thx.

(I have complex groups and permissions because each team can only see their teams boards, except for their coaches private boards, so I don't want to duplicate all those groups for the shared accounts if possible.)
smf 2.0.18

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

Hi, I actually already answered your HD ticket - but I guess I'll just c/p the answer here as well then ;)

I don't think you can really do this without modding SMF alot,
since the primary security measure on all accounts is the password.
If one has the password, one has the power do to anything with the account
that you have given them permissions for. Including changing the email address.

You could however make a specific membergroup that is not allowed to change any of the profile settings at all. I think that can be achieved through SMF permissions quite easily. That would however mean, that your coach wouldn't be able to "turn the account off" - since he couldn't get to the settings either.
Slava
Ukraini!
"Before you allow people access to your forum, especially in an administrative position, you must be aware that that person can seriously damage your forum. Therefore, you should only allow people that you trust, implicitly, to have such access." -Douglas

How you can help SMF

wakewatcher

Thanks for answering in both boards.
Sigh...

As an alternative I was looking at just denying the general users access to edit their profile at all (which appears to be an option) however it seems to me that I can only do that by putting them in a member group.  In my case that gets complicated and cumbersome. It would be nice if you could auto-magically modify an accounts permissions by account rather than member groupl  Or perhaps through the use of 'advanced profile fields' (which can be hidden from the user) where there could be an option to setup something like this.
smf 2.0.18

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

I think you are be able to do this so that you only don't allow regular members to edit their profiles,
but allow certain other membergroups.

All forum members are part of the "regular members" group, unless added to other groups.
so Disallow all the "Member Profiles" permissions for regular members, and then Allow the same permissions for the groups you still want to be able to edit their profiles.

And make sure no other group ( such as post count groups ) interfere with this setup, by allowing more than regular membergroup does.
Slava
Ukraini!
"Before you allow people access to your forum, especially in an administrative position, you must be aware that that person can seriously damage your forum. Therefore, you should only allow people that you trust, implicitly, to have such access." -Douglas

How you can help SMF

wakewatcher

Yeah same problem.  I have a hundred+ member groups and growing. (3 for each team, coaches for team X, players for team X and college recruiters for team X.) Some teams have individual player accounts and some have general accounts.  I'm trying to avoid a 4th member group for each team which only has one member in it per team.  So was hoping I could somehow as the smf admin (doesn't need to be the team head coach) could just set a permission for their account without explicitly setting up a new member group. (Even if under the covers that is what happened.)
smf 2.0.18

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

Then I do fear you would need a bit of coding to go with this...
Slava
Ukraini!

How you can help SMF

Advertisement: