Question about moving domains

Started by Patriot311, September 16, 2009, 11:40:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Patriot311

Hello, I am not very computer literate, so I had a question in hopes somebody can answer in plain English that somebody like me can understand.

I am using SMF 2.0 (I think), and I recently decided I would like to get rid of the domain it's on because the website on that same domain is nolonger up to date. My question is, if I get another domain on the same server, would I be able to transfer my forum to the new domain, along with all the topics and members in tact? If somebody could help me on this that would be great.

Thanks in advance.

Patriot311

Oh, and if I would be able to, how would I go about it?

青山 素子

If the forum is on a standard web host (not a free hosted solution), you should read:

Saving/Restoring, and Moving SMF From a Host to Another
Motoko-chan
Director, Simple Machines

Note: Unless otherwise stated, my posts are not representative of any official position or opinion of Simple Machines.

DSfirerescue

Quote from: Motoko-chan on September 17, 2009, 01:31:58 AM
If the forum is on a standard web host (not a free hosted solution), you should read:

Saving/Restoring, and Moving SMF From a Host to Another

If I understand what you are saying correctly then you should be able to point your new domain name to the server that you are currently being hosted on with out having to transfer any files.

I hope you found this information helpful. :)

greyknight17

Patriot311, is this issue resolved now?

As long as the SMF files and the database is intact, you can use repair_settings.php and make sure that the database information is correct. Then click on the Recommended values. Save the changes. That should restore your forum back to working order. Delete the repair_settings.php file once you are done.

Advertisement: