report to moderator

Started by ~Chad, November 15, 2009, 11:27:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

~Chad

Is it possible to "link" reports, done by the report button, to a specific board?

Explanation:
I want one of the following options, rather the first one:

1. There's a board, only for moderators, in which is a topic.
When I push the report button in a post, I want to create a new post in the topic I just mentioned, which tells me the reason of reporting and a link to that post. I know that this is available in the moderation center, but I want it this way.

2. There's a board, only for moderators.
When I push the report button, I want to create a new topic in that board. In that topic I can find the reason why a specific post is reported. Same as above, the only difference is creating a topic instead of a post in an existing topic

Last question:
Is is also possible to do this with pm's? Instead of sending an email og a reported pm, I want to create a topic in a board, same as above.

Looking forward ^^

Arantor

Not out of the box, given how the moderation centre works.

Could be done as a mod though if someone wants to sit and do this (I can move this to Mod Requests for you, if you like, in the hope someone will pick this up)

~Chad

Quote from: Arantor on November 16, 2009, 05:39:12 AM
Not out of the box, given how the moderation centre works.

Could be done as a mod though if someone wants to sit and do this (I can move this to Mod Requests for you, if you like, in the hope someone will pick this up)
Can you move it for me? I'm curious if someone can create this for me :)

Arantor

Moved.

Doing it probably isn't that hard, but it's not something I personally will be able to develop (already have a long queue, and don't really know enough about how the moderation system works to be honest, and I have to say I personally like it how it is anyway)

Spennig

http://custom.simplemachines.org/mods/index.php?mod=242

Would this do what you want? (assuming your theme doesn't block it)

~Chad

Quote from: Spennig on December 27, 2009, 08:51:20 PM
http://custom.simplemachines.org/mods/index.php?mod=242

Would this do what you want? (assuming your theme doesn't block it)
Yes, it would, but it's not compatible with 2.0 :(

Actually, this is what I'm looking for, but this mod is also not compatible.

Arantor

Well, 2.0's built in mode is not bad at all on a very large forum (it works just fine here, for example).

Reposting to a board probably isn't that hard, but it is more than a small job because it possibly has to remove the existing storage too.

~Chad

Quote from: Arantor on January 07, 2010, 11:23:07 AM
Well, 2.0's built in mode is not bad at all on a very large forum (it works just fine here, for example).

Reposting to a board probably isn't that hard, but it is more than a small job because it possibly has to remove the existing storage too.
True, but the built in mode can not receive reports from PM's, for example. I think it's easier to have a modification like this, otherwise we have to check our mail daily and post it again in a topic or something. When it happens automatic, less time is spent on unnecessarily events as copy/paste et cetera.

If it's not possible, so be it. But if there's a way which can make this possible...great :)

Arantor

It's not possible out of the box, but that doesn't mean it can't be done.

As for reposting PMs other than copy/paste, I cannot actually see that we would permit that, to be honest, since there are privacy concerns (note there is no mod, nor will one be permitted on our mod site, for admins to view PMs, for example), and it could very easily be abused to repost things that should be private.

~Chad

Quote from: Arantor on January 07, 2010, 12:03:02 PM
It's not possible out of the box, but that doesn't mean it can't be done.

As for reposting PMs other than copy/paste, I cannot actually see that we would permit that, to be honest, since there are privacy concerns (note there is no mod, nor will one be permitted on our mod site, for admins to view PMs, for example), and it could very easily be abused to repost things that should be private.
This has nothing to do with privacy or something, in my opinion... It's about reporting unwanted PM's. When a members reports a PM in the current situation, I will get a mail with the content of the reported PM. The only thing that I want is not getting that mail, but let a mod send it directly to a specific board on my forum, only visible for admins, the same as for topic reports. That's all and has nothing to do with privacy, otherwise this mod would never exist --> http://custom.simplemachines.org/mods/index.php?mod=392

Arantor

No, there's one big difference.

Posts in a board are semi public, in so far that people other than the poster and a given recipient see it. Thus anyone can take issue with it.

PMs are by nature private. What happens if, say you set it up to go to a board where all moderators can see it (as I would fully expect some admins to do)? Then any reported PMs are visible by all moderators, not just the admins.

I say again: the only PMs an admin can see right now are the ones reported to them, they can't even see other members' PMs without manually examining the database, and for good reason. Making that more visible is not a good idea.

~Chad

Okay, but can you tell me why is it possible to download this mod?? This mod does exactly what I want and what I'm asking in this topic, but is not compatible with SMF 2.0. And now you are telling me that such things are forbidden?

Arantor

Because it doesn't handle PMs as far as I can tell. It handles only post reports, and since the original subject matter was semi-public and not private by definition, it meets our rules for privacy.

Spoogs

Actually reporting a PM should be allowed, I think its done on here as report to admin. Some posters on boards use he PM system as their way to troll, spam and flame others. That mod in question apparently had the the option for reported PM's to go to a specific board be it a admin specific board or a board that moderators had access to.

The short of it is that not many if any at all would report a PM they didnt find rude or in violation of the rules of the site.

Arantor

Reporting a PM is allowed. It's built in.

I'm just concerned that having it reposted to a board could be misused. It does NOT repost the PM to an admin board.

AFAIK that mod does not re-post reported PMs to a board that could relatively easily be made public, especially by a malicious admin.

Spoogs

Now i get ya
I'd assume anyone with malicious intent would copy and paste or quote a PM in public anyway

Arantor

True enough, but imagine for a moment that all reports are to a single board. And then the malicious admin makes that whole board visible to everyone.

Or even it's just set up incorrectly to start with.

Spoogs

hmm another good point, if anyone takes this on, maybe something that only allows admins, moderators, and global mods to access such boards.

Arantor

I suppose you probably could engineer something like that into it but it's a lot more work.

Advertisement: