News:

Wondering if this will always be free?  See why free is better.

Main Menu

Creating Themes for SMF 2.0 - 01 The Basics

Started by forsakenlad, November 22, 2009, 11:21:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kaoss

Great guide.

So throwing my site's logo on the main_block.png file has me confused. I have it on there, and it's fine were it's at if the user has the browser maximized, but it's location depends on the width of the current window. It "floats" with the size of the browser window. You can see what I'm talking about at www.806minis.com. Is there anyway to avoid this?

forsakenlad

Quote from: kaoss on January 04, 2010, 12:15:30 PM
Great guide.

So throwing my site's logo on the main_block.png file has me confused. I have it on there, and it's fine were it's at if the user has the browser maximized, but it's location depends on the width of the current window. It "floats" with the size of the browser window. You can see what I'm talking about at www.806minis.com. Is there anyway to avoid this?

You should put it at the left of the png file then
Eren "forsakenlad" Yaşarkurt
SMF Friend & Former Team Member

BABYDIABOLICAL

Is there any way to create SMF themes if your not an administrator or site owner?

Ebel.Munkey007

This guide has been very helpful! Thank you!!! The one thing I can not find though is this Main_block.png you mention. I have looked both in my themes image directory, as well as the default image directory and can't find it. Any ideas on where it might be or has this changed with RC3?

shadow82x

Quote from: Ebel.Munkey007 on April 05, 2010, 08:34:54 PM
This guide has been very helpful! Thank you!!! The one thing I can not find though is this Main_block.png you mention. I have looked both in my themes image directory, as well as the default image directory and can't find it. Any ideas on where it might be or has this changed with RC3?
The image is still used in RC3.

Themes/{theme_name}/images/theme/main_block.png
Colin B
Former Spammer, Customize, & Support Team Member

Ebel.Munkey007

Quote from: Shadow82x on April 05, 2010, 09:04:27 PM
Quote from: Ebel.Munkey007 on April 05, 2010, 08:34:54 PM
The image is still used in RC3.

Themes/{theme_name}/images/theme/main_block.png

Very odd - I did not have it. I dont know if its because of how it was installed (by my host) or because I upgraded it aftyer that, maybe both.... but I didn't have it. I downloaded the one in the Clarity zip and loaded that one to my images directory and have been playing with it ever since. Thanks again for this guide!

chief_wolfinjo

Hi,

Great Tutorial  :)
Can you tell me is this applies to version SMF 1.1.11 ?
if there are differences can you tell me ?

Thank you

shane is my name

Hi, this is a great tutorial, definately helped me understand a few things...
I have a question though, 
If I wanted to put my own image on there (image of my logo),  you had said we could put it right onto the main_block.png...  which worked except that it wont show the framost LEFT side of the image because it seems as though the right side of teh png is what is used...

Of course I could put my logo on the right side of my png file, but then my logo would be on the right side of my site.. I'm trying to get it on the left side. 

using firebug, i found the padding in which if i change it from 20 to 300 (for an example) I will now see my image logo.. however that padding also controls the navi padding and now that has moved over to mid page.

is there aanother way to do this?  has anyone been able to insert their logo onto the main_block png file and have it shown on the site? if so, coudl you share how you did this?
thanks.  :)

Antechinus

Actually you could do it by reversing the div order, but that is more trouble than it is worth. Better to use a separate logo.

bullbreedluverz

you can place the logo in the header by moving the smflogo code but ya can also add an image as a background to the upper_section code in index.css like on this theme im making

http://www.eotsdzine.com/test/index.php

which has both a header background and a logo displayed in the same place

Utech22

sanmask23

Great guide .
Here after i can also create themes
thanks u so much 

Regashi

flamechica

Quote from: Antechinus on December 07, 2009, 03:18:10 PM
I'll try and get an xcf version together as well.

Has the xcf version been posted somewhere and I missed it? I have looked and looked and can't find it. I use GIMP and I don't think the main_block.psd is showing up right....or I am just not getting how to make the changes. Is there a free program that would do this right if the xcf version isn't available?

Antechinus

No I haven't made an xcf yet. Good point. There's a project for me. :)

flamechica

That would be awesome. I'm too poor to afford Photoshop, so GIMP is a great substitute, but like I said (and you already know) the psd doesn't work right in GIMP.

Yahmez

It seems to work fine in gimp for me, but then again I might not know what I'm missing because I'm poor like you.  ;)

Anyway, why isn't this topic stickied? It's a great tutorial for getting started in theme-ing 2.0 and the responses here reflect that.

Antechinus

Good point. It's stickied now. :)

GIMP gets most of the psd but misses out on things like layer styles (gradients, opacity, etc). Unfortunately GIMP is a bit retarded so doing an xcf version of the main_block is a bit of a pain. I haven't had time to devote to it yet as I've been busy with other things.

Masterd

Is there any way to open PSD files on GimPhoto?

Advertisement: