News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

[vBulletin 3.8.4 to SMF 2.0 RC2] max_allowed_packet Error with PMs

Started by CrazyTech, November 24, 2009, 11:16:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CrazyTech

Got a packet bigger than 'max_allowed_packet' bytes

This error messages displays on the PM conversion screen.

I get this error message when I convert my vBulletin 3.8.4 forum to SMF 2.0 RC2. Everything else works just fine, I'm bringing over roughly 75k posts and nearly 3k members without issue otherwise. Now the obvious thing to do was check max_allowed_packet in /etc/my.cnf, but it was already a pretty large value (and I upped it anyway) but I still get the error when I attempt the conversion again. I'd really like to retain our member PMs if possible.

Does anyone have experience with this issue and know another workaround?

Thanks for your time!

Norv

Is there any query or other information as to where exactly it happens, in the error message?
Is it at "step 1" or "step 2" of converting PMs?

If you have access to MySQL as I understand, perhaps (depending on what else is on your server, trying on a local installation might be better if you have one) you could enable general log just to see what query that was. (not recommended if you have other sites or traffic)
Or you could have SMF print it out, like here: http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=286982.msg2350165#msg2350165
To-do lists are for deferral. The more things you write down the later they're done... until you have 100s of lists of things you don't do.

File a security report | Developers' Blog | Bug Tracker

Also known as Norv on D* | Norv N. on G+ | Norv on Github

CrazyTech

I did the file edit for the logging, but it errored out on me with something else; I'm triple checking the edits, but now the board's not functioning properly.

The PM issue came one step 1 substep 19 at start 7500.

Norv

Quote from: CrazyTech on November 24, 2009, 11:58:51 AM
now the board's not functioning properly.

You mean the SMF forum is already online and used? If that is the case, you may want to consider that it would be extremely unsafe to run the converter on it again, as it wipes most of the data to be converted and replaces it with data newly pulled from vbulletin.
Sorry if I misunderstand. :)

Quote from: CrazyTech on November 24, 2009, 11:58:51 AM
The PM issue came one step 1 substep 19 at start 7500.

(not tested) That query seems to be:

SELECT
pm.pmid AS id_pm, pmt.fromuserid AS id_member_from, pmt.dateline AS msgtime,
SUBSTRING(pmt.fromusername, 1, 255) AS from_name,
SUBSTRING(pmt.title, 1, 255) AS subject,
SUBSTRING(REPLACE(pmt.message, '<br>', '<br />'), 1, 65534) AS body
FROM {$from_prefix}pm AS pm
INNER JOIN {$from_prefix}pmtext AS pmt
WHERE pmt.pmtextid = pm.pmtextid
AND pm.folderid != -1
LIMIT 7500, 500

You might want to verify in phpmyadmin (replacing $from_prefix with your vbulletin database and prefix) the query.

Also, perhaps setting in vbulletin37_to_smf.sql:
Code (find) Select

---* {$to_prefix}personal_messages

Code (replace) Select

---* {$to_prefix}personal_messages 200

will help.
To-do lists are for deferral. The more things you write down the later they're done... until you have 100s of lists of things you don't do.

CrazyTech

Thanks, I'll try that out.

Don't worry - it's definitely not a live conversion. I'm using a copy to admittedly compare SMF and MyBB. I'm just not happy with vBulletin in general and so I'm going to put my money where my mouth is and switch to open source. I'm trying to determine what will give my members the smoothest transition and which software I would like to pursue other projects with as well.

CrazyTech

Thank you kindly, Norv!

I just wanted to report back and say that the PMs converted over using the vbulletin37_to_smf.sql fix. I had to run the find and repair any errors tool which took care some of the funky PM formats that wouldn't display properly - missing titles, etc. That cleaned everything up and the PMs made it over and are now accessible. I wanted to make sure that information was available for anyone who had the same issue.

Norv

Advertisement: