News:

SMF 2.1.4 has been released! Take it for a spin! Read more.

Main Menu

VB Like Social Groups

Started by SilverKnight, December 07, 2009, 09:08:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Arantor

Quote from: Xarcell on January 14, 2010, 12:59:36 PM
Alot of mod authors stop developing because it becomes too much of a hassle when it's free. Aside from the time coding it, time is needed for support, bug fixing, and putting up with idiots who can't follow simple instructions.

I've given away more mods that I currently maintain for just this reason.

QuoteI DO believe free products help it become better products, better than paid ones anyway. However, the developers need some kind of compensation. Otherwise they get burn out and stop development because they don't see the point in it anymore.

Money is a good motivator, if not the best one. Nothing says thank you better than a donation.

The problem with that is you get "but SMF's free, so mods should be free". But you can donate to SMF; and people do :)

DoctorMalboro

Quote from: Arantor on January 14, 2010, 02:02:24 PM
QuoteI DO believe free products help it become better products, better than paid ones anyway. However, the developers need some kind of compensation. Otherwise they get burn out and stop development because they don't see the point in it anymore.

Money is a good motivator, if not the best one. Nothing says thank you better than a donation.

The problem with that is you get "but SMF's free, so mods should be free". But you can donate to SMF; and people do :)

i think that you're right, but, anyone can't force them to give it free, because they are not going to gave it up to anyone for free, but, i think it's not ilegal bought it and then gave it up for free...

Arantor

It's down to the mod author. Some write them paid-for, and release them once enough have been sold. Some insist on paid-for the whole time.

Striker?

Hi smf users, I think with the social group is better fit as you like..

Greetings!

Advertisement: