News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

Google Chrome Frame

Started by Antechinus, December 31, 2009, 07:58:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Antechinus

Has anyone done any testing with this? I just gave it a trial run installed on IE7 and frankly can't notice any difference. This may be because Frame only scans the first 1024 bytes of the page when looking for the meta tag and the other content in an SMF index.template.php pushes the meta tag too far down. I put the tag at the start of <head. but it still doesn't seem to be happy. Thoughts?

ETA: Nevermind. Must have been a cache problem or something. Seems to be working now. Faster than IE7 for sure.

H

I heard about it, but the meta tag requirement was a bit of a disappointment IMO. It'd be nice to force Chrome on inside IE so we can force some users to run a better browser without having to learn a new interface
-H
Former Support Team Lead
                              I recommend:
Namecheap (domains)
Fastmail (e-mail)
Linode (VPS)

Antechinus

I think given how little code is required there is something to be said for including the meta tag in RC3 and later releases. I'd even think seriously about adding it to 1.1.12 when that becomes necessary. Might run it past the devs and see what they think. If no go for default it would certainly be an easy mod and with 2.0 could auto install on any custom theme too.

Arantor

Why restrict it to 2.0 auto install? If it's a meta tag, add it once in Load.php like we did for the IE8 meta tag in 1.1.11, and it's on every theme in every version.

Antechinus

Ok. Fine with me. Then why do we have meta tags in index.template anyway?

Arantor

Interesting question.

Originally, $context['html_headers'] was supposed to be used for modders, everything else is considered stock template as far as I can tell, so should be there regardless. Maybe different meta tags per theme? Don't know.

Antechinus

Well I've looked in a lot of index.template files and the tags always seem identical. If we can streamline things a bit it is worth considering.

Arantor

Well, I'm not sure it's 'supposed' to be for that, but I have no issues with moving it.

Antechinus

Speaking of moving, I think I'll shunt this thread to Coding Discussion and point a dev or two at it for more feedback. :)

H

Quote from: Arantor on January 01, 2010, 07:23:21 PM
Why restrict it to 2.0 auto install? If it's a meta tag, add it once in Load.php like we did for the IE8 meta tag in 1.1.11, and it's on every theme in every version.

Didn't we do this with ie8, because not doing so actively broke SMF? With Chrome Frame all it does is add overhead to 99.99% of people who don't use this
-H
Former Support Team Lead
                              I recommend:
Namecheap (domains)
Fastmail (e-mail)
Linode (VPS)

karlbenson

Please do not add this to smf default install.

Antechinus

True, but the overhead is minimal and if Wave takes off I can see Frame taking off too. Anyway this can be done as a mod for 2.0 and perhaps default for 2.1+, depending on how widely Frame is adopted.

Arantor

I wasn't suggesting making it default at all, just as a mod that can be used.

Advertisement: