News:

Wondering if this will always be free?  See why free is better.

Main Menu

How My Forum Was Hacked - Fix?

Started by kaamaru, January 07, 2010, 03:26:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kaamaru

One of my global mods account was hacked. This is what he did:
QuoteBy the way, Greml1n hacked iPhone's account by using the same IP address as him. I'm still on speaking terms with him, so he told me how he did it.

How do I fix this?

Deaks

im sorry what did he do exactly hacked your gobal mods account? suggest he change his password
~~~~
Former SMF Project Manager
Former SMF Customizer

"For as lang as hunner o us is in life, in nae wey
will we thole the Soothron tae owergang us. In truth it isna for glory, or wealth, or
honours that we fecht, but for freedom alane, that nae honest cheil gies up but wi life
itsel."

kaamaru

He gained access as I think the forum auto logged him in as the hacker faked his ip so he had the same ip as my mod.

Kays

That shouldn't happen as SMF also checks the cookie for verification of who it is.

If at first you don't succeed, use a bigger hammer. If that fails, read the manual.
My Mods

SN

I read the '' story '' on your forum about how it all happened.

To me it sounds like you mod iPhone, is not telling you the truth

kaamaru

But My other mod wrote the quote at the top. Do you really think he lied?

kaamaru

Another wired this is the hacker used a proxy when posting which meant that he could not of used the same ip as my mod.

SN

I don't know, but it all doesn't seem to add up to me, or seem possible to be able to do that.

I cant see how your Mod can post '' Im getting logged out HELP'' before he actually get logged out. Then all of a sudden his account gets hacked.

seems abit strange to me

kaamaru

If you put that to the side. If the hacker had the same ip would he of been able to hack my mods account or be logged in because he had the same account?

SN

I cant see how it is possible for someone to have the same ip, unless they are using the same PC.

anybody can hack anyone's account if there password isn't strong - But for example if i hacked your account, it would not show the same IP if i was logged in on your account.

The whole IP thing IMO doesn't sound like that is possible for him to do.

and look at what Kays said also

kaamaru

Kays

I commonly use two browsers with two different accounts when working on my site. I use IE for my main admin account  and FF for guest and member viewing.  Obviously, they both have the same ip address and I've never had FF log into my main account unless I deliberately login to that acount.

The indivual does need to login with user name and password to gain access to an account.

Have you got a link to that "story" ?

If at first you don't succeed, use a bigger hammer. If that fails, read the manual.
My Mods

Arantor

Either that or was able to spoof the cookie and session id, though that is unlikely under normal circumstances. I note you're using a separate app, which seems suggestively insecure :(

kaamaru

The app is just a web browser to view the forum.

Story http://ihackmyi.com/iphone/index.php/topic,4985.0.html

so was it my mod?? :(?

Arantor

If your custom browser authenticates based on IP address, possibly. How does it authenticate users? Or is it just a true regular browser?

kaamaru

A regular browser. Its a mod that changes the the theme if an iPhone or iPod touch is detected.

kaamaru

Arantor

Probably not, in that case.

I don't know what to suggest :(

butchs

Could have been someone who borrowed the mods phone, a kid or he did it by accident.

If it was me I would temporarily limit some of the mods permissions to protect the board (the big stuff).  Then ask him to try a stronger password.  If nothing happens in a week or so then I would reset the permissions.
I have been truly inspired by the SUGGESTIONS as I sit on my throne and contemplate the wisdom imposed upon me.

SN

yes thats  a good idea, maybe set it so they can only unapproved posts and not delete them, and when its unapproved you can have the final decision to delete it or not

Advertisement: