News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

0 users 0 guests, possible for someone to see this...

Started by ɔɔɔɔɔɔuɥoɾ, January 13, 2010, 01:57:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ɔɔɔɔɔɔuɥoɾ

Well Somehow I made it happen, and got screenshot too

Kind of hard to explain, how one could see this, but the forum no show themselves viewing Who's online

Weird..

I believe it happened after maintenance, can anybody else make this happen ???

SMF 2.0 RC5

Webhost to New Webhost file transfer service, PM me - Fast transfers

Joshua Dickerson

Come work with me at Promenade Group

Need help? See the wiki. Want to help SMF? See the wiki!

Did you know you can help develop SMF? See us on Github.

How have you bettered the world today?

ɔɔɔɔɔɔuɥoɾ

I doubt that, I just a second before it ran maintenance, FULL, removing any cached files, I have yet to explain/re-produce it lol

If your referring to my cache on PC, well I don't think so either, as I clicked the forum page, not clicked back/fwd etc

SMF 2.0 RC5

Joshua Dickerson

Come work with me at Promenade Group

Need help? See the wiki. Want to help SMF? See the wiki!

Did you know you can help develop SMF? See us on Github.

How have you bettered the world today?

ɔɔɔɔɔɔuɥoɾ

SMF 2.0 RC5

Arantor

Actually, that is trivially easy to reproduce.

Admin > Configuration > Features and Options > General > User online time threshold > if it's 0, it'll give you the above.

ɔɔɔɔɔɔuɥoɾ

Quote from: Arantor on January 13, 2010, 08:15:39 PM
Actually, that is trivially easy to reproduce.

Admin > Configuration > Features and Options > General > User online time threshold > if it's 0, it'll give you the above.

OK, but in my situation it was not, how else can we reproduce this, All I remember when it happened is performing maintenance, all options.

SMF 2.0 RC5

Arantor

You still in maintenance mode? It may not be logged then.

ɔɔɔɔɔɔuɥoɾ

Quote from: Arantor on January 13, 2010, 08:59:21 PM
You still in maintenance mode? It may not be logged then.

I didn't change the forum to maintenance mode, I ran basic maintenance, optimize database, re count stats, "all options" lol.

P.S, don't think there is a problem in existence here, its just really weird how this can happen, how can someone see that screen, if there is "nobody" online to see it, if you know what I mean lol

I know when running maintenance, everybody gets booted to offline, at this time I'm assuming I was booted and the forum page loaded before the database was read maybe...

SMF 2.0 RC5

Arantor

Not quite. Maintenance boots everyone non-admin off.

When people return, there is a potential delay of up to 8 seconds before they are logged as online to avoid hammering the server.

ɔɔɔɔɔɔuɥoɾ

Quote from: Arantor on January 13, 2010, 09:23:55 PM
Not quite. Maintenance boots everyone non-admin off.

When people return, there is a potential delay of up to 8 seconds before they are logged as online to avoid hammering the server.

Strange...
How did this happen then?

I will have to try and replicate this, very interested to see the outcome..

SMF 2.0 RC5

Arantor

If maintenance boots everyone off, it can take up to 8 seconds before anyone - even admin - gets logged. It's how it's been written for a while.

ɔɔɔɔɔɔuɥoɾ

Quote from: Arantor on January 13, 2010, 10:45:16 PM
If maintenance boots everyone off, it can take up to 8 seconds before anyone - even admin - gets logged. It's how it's been written for a while.

So, if I run maintenance, and click on forum immediately after, which I always do, and I'm always listed as online, sometimes it could not log me, maybe slow SQL or server, basically its random?

SMF 2.0 RC5

Arantor

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

Going through all the maintanance options will effectivily empty the open sessions on the forum, and the whos online - This happens both on 1.1 and 2.0.

It might not pick up immediately after that, pending on many variables such as caching as noted already.
Slava
Ukraini!
"Before you allow people access to your forum, especially in an administrative position, you must be aware that that person can seriously damage your forum. Therefore, you should only allow people that you trust, implicitly, to have such access." -Douglas

How you can help SMF

ɔɔɔɔɔɔuɥoɾ

Well I guess that solves that, I will have to still replicate this, I have to do it again!!! lol...

I run maintenance every other day anyway, so maybe I will see it again!

It does look very weird to see that though, not in a worried way, just really funny, I originally made the screenshot as a funny image, but thought I would mention it here, with all its weirdness an all

SMF 2.0 RC5

Arantor

You don't actually need to run maintenance every other day; some admins I know don't run it for months (and they have the *big* boards)

ɔɔɔɔɔɔuɥoɾ

Quote from: Arantor on January 14, 2010, 10:11:52 AM
You don't actually need to run maintenance every other day; some admins I know don't run it for months (and they have the *big* boards)

1 thing I hate is a slow running site, I will do anything and everything I can to make my members be happy and non frustrated, I have even removed all my ads, and even fix somewhat meaningless errors in the log, I hardly get any undefined errors, when I get some, I go out my way to figure out the problem, My board is starting to get populated, getting an average of about 50 online (all at one time) daily, range, 25 - 100, with that many online, on a shared server, it would be in my best interest to keep everything optimized as much as possible, even if over working it, that's just how I am, cant help it, everything needs to be working efficiently for me to be happy.
However, sometimes I forget for like 4 days at a time lol.

SMF 2.0 RC5

Arantor

The thing is, you can actually over optimise to the point of hurting performance rather than gaining it.

I'd follow the steps in the Server Configuration board first - there's a thread called 24 things you can to improve your performance or something, and those tips will save you performance above all else.

ɔɔɔɔɔɔuɥoɾ

Quote from: Arantor on January 14, 2010, 10:50:28 AM
The thing is, you can actually over optimise to the point of hurting performance rather than gaining it.

I'd follow the steps in the Server Configuration board first - there's a thread called 24 things you can to improve your performance or something, and those tips will save you performance above all else.

I will look into that, my board is already blazing fast, 24 more tips huh, oooh nice lol...

SMF 2.0 RC5

Advertisement: