New member registration not working

Started by radioguy6, January 22, 2010, 11:57:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

radioguy6

Quote from: Kat on February 10, 2010, 03:38:53 PM
When you say that you can't even register new users from admin, what happens, there?

its the same scenario to the registration page.  I fill in all the info then click on regsiter, and it just sits there trying to load something and never proceeds.  Its like its trying to insert the info into the database but never gets a response.

kat

Hmmm... This is still yelling "PERMISSIONS!", to me.

Have you tried making the whole "Sources" directory and the SMF default theme's directory CHMOD 755, just to check that?

radioguy6

Quote from: Kat on February 10, 2010, 04:01:58 PM
Hmmm... This is still yelling "PERMISSIONS!", to me.

Have you tried making the whole "Sources" directory and the SMF default theme's directory CHMOD 755, just to check that?

Yes, however Im on a Windows server using NTFS permissions.  I temporarily forced "everyone" full permissions, read/write/excute/modify to the ENTIRE smf directory, no luck.

I have some outdated themes, but regardless switching to the default SMF theme wont rectify the regsiter problem.

kat

I'm totally at a loss....

I'll mull it over and see if anything pops into my head.

If it does, no matter HOW off-beam it is, I'll post it.

radioguy6

Quote from: Kat on February 10, 2010, 04:19:23 PM
I'm totally at a loss....

I'll mull it over and see if anything pops into my head.

If it does, no matter HOW off-beam it is, I'll post it.

lol i dont care how off-beam it is as long as it fixes it!! 

I emailed this guy asking if he ever found a solution.  He seemed to have a pretty similar setup and problem that I am having.
http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=221971.msg1419808#msg1419808

kat

Yeah. I think I linked to another one, too.

I wonder if a host upgrading it's version of PHP, or something, could be causing this...?

radioguy6

Quote from: Kat on February 10, 2010, 04:26:42 PM
Yeah. I think I linked to another one, too.

I wonder if a host upgrading it's version of PHP, or something, could be causing this...?

I am the host, and the server sits at my home.  I started this forum on vs. 1.1.3 or 1.1.4 (cant recall) and have been running the original PHP and MySQL installation ever since.  Maybe I need to upgrade them?

kat

It's a thought, innit?

When did this poo start happening?

Was it after an upgrade, or something? (Sorry, if you've already said)

radioguy6

Quote from: Kat on February 10, 2010, 04:49:03 PM
It's a thought, innit?

When did this poo start happening?

Was it after an upgrade, or something? (Sorry, if you've already said)

thats the sad part, I have no idea when this started.  This is just a local forum for a few friends and I, the majority of them signed up at the start.  I never expected that many more people to join.  But now I got one more than wants to join in and here we are.

kat

Just to narrow things down, possibly, are there any other admins that can register people?

radioguy6

Quote from: Kat on February 10, 2010, 05:00:55 PM
Just to narrow things down, possibly, are there any other admins that can register people?

i created a test account a long time ago with admin rights.  I will give it a shot.

And..same result.

radioguy6

Could an out of date database be causing this??  Ive been peeking at my db with phpmyadmin and opened the smf_settings table to find the smfVersion with a value of 1.1.2.  Shouldnt it be 1.1.11??  How do I go about updating the database?

kat

If you run the v1.1.11 large upgrade package, that should cure that. It could well be the problem.

radioguy6

Quote from: Kat on February 11, 2010, 11:05:04 AM
If you run the v1.1.11 large upgrade package, that should cure that. It could well be the problem.

ive been studying this site for basically the past week...it seems the latest database changes were done in 1.1.9.  Im crossing my fingers!!  I will be tackling this tonight and will post the result later.

radioguy6

well ive officially exhausted everything.  I updated the database to 1.1.11 but that did not fix the registration. :(

kat

* Kat scratches his head and wanders-off to rummage around and see if he can figure something out... Like asking GreyKnight... ;)

Kill Em All

This is quite odd. I'm assuming because you have been using SMF since it was 1.1.4, that it worked perfectly fine back then. And it stopped working when you updated to 1.1.11 from 1.1.10?

Have you changed anything as far as configuration wise on SMF(besides updating it to 1.1.11) or your server?

My Site: KEAGaming.com

Manual Installation of Mods
Prevent Spam and Forum Attacks
Please do not PM or email me for support unless offered, help should be publicly displayed to others.

kat

This may seem a bit "Off the wall". But, considering the fact that it stopped working randomly, it *might* have something to do with the mail() function timing out. Can you disable activation e-mails or the welcome email and try it?

radioguy6

Quote from: Kill Em All on February 15, 2010, 01:30:52 PM
This is quite odd. I'm assuming because you have been using SMF since it was 1.1.4, that it worked perfectly fine back then. And it stopped working when you updated to 1.1.11 from 1.1.10?

Have you changed anything as far as configuration wise on SMF(besides updating it to 1.1.11) or your server?

I dont know when it stopped working.  Sometime in mid 2009 I would guess.  I always update to the newest version when released.  The only thing that changed since the beginning other than smf updates is I switched to a new server but everything moved smoothly and I have had new registrations while being on the new server.

Quote from: Kat on February 15, 2010, 01:44:40 PM
This may seem a bit "Off the wall". But, considering the fact that it stopped working randomly, it *might* have something to do with the mail() function timing out. Can you disable activation e-mails or the welcome email and try it?

I thought that was the problem, and I tried that.  Disabled the extras in registration including, activation, sending email, I removed/changed the visual verification settings.  Nothing seems to change it.  The forum will send emails, I can send newsletters without an issue.

Advertisement: