News:

SMF 2.1.4 has been released! Take it for a spin! Read more.

Main Menu

About Custom Fields

Started by mixth, March 15, 2010, 10:50:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mixth

Hi everyone!

I'm new for SMF 2.0 and PHP. My knowledge may not be enough to think about this so I would like you to suggest me.  :)
I do love the new feature in 2.0, Custom Fields. It makes a lot of things easier. But I would like to have 'a sub fields' because the information I'm using.

Just like:
If I say, YES in the first field. Then I can fill the second and third. But if I say, No in the first, so there aren't the second and third.

Thanks for helping.  ;D

Ashley S

Hmm. Can you explain this a bit more please.

mixth

Likes my real use:

Are you an exchange student: Yes/No

So, I want, if members select Yes. They can fill up the second that I will ask,
Which country have you been to exchange?

But if they select, No. So, they cannot fill up that field.

:D

perplexed

that's not an option but you could just add more fields like

Are you an exchange student Y/N

followed by a separate field for

Please list countries you have been to

People who answered no to the first question probably wouldn't enter anything in the second question

mixth

Yes that I will do if I cannot find the better solution.
Because, I want the country flag icon show on the profile in massage also. So, If I do like your suggestion, it will have an 'unknown' country flag or the default value. But I would like it does not appear in profile if they answer 'No' in the first question.

Anyway, thanks very much @perplexed  ;)

perplexed

but if you have been a student in more than one country do you plan to display more than one country flag?

mixth

It is not possible to be in my exchange program. Everyone should have just one.  :)

mixth

So, does anyone suggest about this?

I'm wondering if I just don't make "country" show, in case if it has one value. But how can I get the value from SQL? how in PHP that the most fastest way?
Sorry, may be this was a silly question.  :-[

Advertisement: