Script error on my 2.0 RC1 ??

Started by arrowboy55, April 09, 2010, 05:34:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

arrowboy55

Okay, I will try my best here.  You said for me to check to see if SP is still amongst installed mods.  The only way that I know how to do that is through the admin button on my Forum, is there another way to see what mods are still installed?  Sorry but thats the problem is when I hit the Admin button, I get the fatal error.  Thanks

Ozysites

HI

Here is a strange event. I also can't login to the forum anymore either as admin or other member.

I get this message ( You were unable to login. Please check your cookie settings.) 
I have cleared all cookies, ans even reset my password, as soon as I reset it and tried to log in it said ""Wrong Password""

I haven't made any changes to permissions or settings as I was posting NEWS EVENTS on the forum which was the last thing I did yesterday, I haven't been able to login at all today.

I checked the MySQL data base and all looks fine there.

I did make a change in a file today to a setting from TRUE to FALSE which was to do with the dropdown of the header, I have since re-changed that to it's default just in case it was the cause of the problem but it made no difference.

I have also tried changing the Admin Password in the MySQL DB but that didn't work either. Nothing I do seems to make a difference at all as I seem to always get the same message all the time.

I am constantly clearing my cookies and restating in a new browser so as to start out fresh each time but still to no avail.

I have also run the repair.settings.php file to see if that helped but it also did nothing at all.

I have been at this for about 2 hours now.

Can anyone suggest how I can access the admin panel or reset it please. Is there a file which holds the Admin login details somewhere that I can check to see if these have been changed.

Cheers
Be kind and respect others opinons at all times.  http://www.ozyforums.com.au

arrowboy55

I can login as administrator fine, I just get the white screen with the fatal error concerning simple portal language.  I cannot access the admin area, to make adjustment to boards...etc.. all I want to know is if someone can help me get rid of the fatal error.....that's all.  Thanks

arrowboy55

How were able to change the dropdown menu thing, if you can't login?

Ozysites

in the source  files directly as it was the only way it could be done.

flapjack

ok. here is my suggestion (may not be the best, but it will work)
get the whole most recent upgrade package and upload into your forum folder. make sure you backup settings file (just in case)
then try what I wrote earlier. seems to me you have more files damaged, and this way at least you will have your core files ok. the downside is that you will have to install all your mods again

if anyone have any other suggestion, feel free to share, I cannot think about anything else now

arrowboy55

flapjack

no worries, let us know how it went. I will be around in case you screw sth up, ping me then. godspeed

Ozysites

Quote from: flapjack on April 09, 2010, 08:14:30 PM
ok. here is my suggestion (may not be the best, but it will work)
get the whole most recent upgrade package and upload into your forum folder. make sure you backup settings file (just in case)
then try what I wrote earlier. seems to me you have more files damaged, and this way at least you will have your core files ok. the downside is that you will have to install all your mods again

if anyone have any other suggestion, feel free to share, I cannot think about anything else now

I have the most recent version already installed 2.0rc3.

The problem is with the IE browser as I just tried it in FireFox and it worked and I am now looged in.

Not every problem calls for drastic messures and in most cases it's the simpleest of things that solve an issue, although I am not totally unknowedgable when it comes to sorting thois tyoe of thing out and after spend a couple of hours on this I didn't think of trying a different browser till after I wrote this post.

Sometimes it just take doing something else to change you thoughts to get new ideas come to mind as it seems this was the case.

Cheers

flapjack

yes, you have your point. however take under consideration, that majority users requesting help aren't very skillfull in matters we discuss here. though, every time I try to help I am adapting to the person I am trying to help. most of the more advanced users tend to know, what information may be required when they ask for help, so they first place include all the relevant info upfront.

as you can see, when our conversation progressed I found you either:
- not knowing the mod discussed (SP) and not knowing it's been recently uninstalled
- not knowing of your knowlesge of inner things with smf at all

dont blame me for my assumptions, but based on info provided I gave you the solution that wouldn't scare the beginner, yet it would help.

next time give more detailed info and maybe mention your smf-skilllevel and you will get more tailored response :)
glad I could help anyway :)

Ozysites

hello

I think you have me mixed up with someone else as I never tried to help you as all I did was post a reply stating I was having a login issue as well.

I gave all the details required and the answer was found by YOU although I had come to the same concusion, so it seems we both came up with the same solution in the end.

When I post an issue I always state exactly what I did just before that problem stated which is what would be expected, although not all do.

Your help is very much appreciated as always and although I am not a pro programmer or have spent so much time with this smf script that I dodn't know everthing it can or can't do I truely hope that someday I can return the favour.

Cheers

flapjack

crap, I have mistaken you for OP, my bad :)
don't have a good memory for names

Quote[...]I am not a pro programmer[...]
well to be honest I was a programmer waaaaaay back (think: asm/tc/and many forgotten languages) and am discovering it again, thanks to SMF

Ozysites

Hi

Thought so,,All is good m8.

Thank You

arrowboy55

Is there a board for paid support?............I am willing to pay someone to help me.  Thanks

Advertisement: