• Welcome to Simple Machines Community Forum. Please login or sign up.
September 21, 2021, 04:02:02 AM

News:

Wondering if this will always be free?  See why free is better.


Performance Warning

Started by Mick., April 10, 2010, 09:22:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mick.


Performance Warning
The cache directory is not writable - this will adversely affect the performance of your forum.

http://www.chevyavalancheclub.com/av_registry.php

I looked at Cache folder and is set to 755  ???

Adish - (F.L.A.M.E.R)

Have you set it recursively ?

Did you try 777?

Mick.


Kays

That page loads fine for me.

Where are you seeing the error? In the error log?

Is it happening on all pages or just that one?

If at first you don't succeed, use a bigger hammer. If that fails, read the manual.
My Mods

Bigguy

Is the ownership for that folder wrong. ???

Mick.

Quote from: Kays on April 10, 2010, 09:53:12 AM
That page loads fine for me.

Where are you seeing the error? In the error log?

Is it happening on all pages or just that one?

As admin, i can only see the pink warning box.  I dont see it in SMF itself, just that page created using header and footer codes.

I think it has something to do with my gallery....  vbgamer changed a performance setting for the forum yesterday for me but this morning i found this warning.

I contacted him and hoping we can figure it out.   Who knows, it may be unrelated.

Kays

If it was working before and nothing else has changed. Then that is something to check. Can you temporarily disable it to verify?

If at first you don't succeed, use a bigger hammer. If that fails, read the manual.
My Mods

Mick.


Mick.

Yep, i turned it off and it went away..

admin--->server--->caching


Is that good?   Its been like that for ages but vbgamer thought it would be better to the forum if turned on.

But if i turn it ON, the warning message appears.

Kays

Actually, I was think of disabling the Gallery. :) Maybe comment out the code for it on that page.

But it's a good to know that disabling caching will clear the error. Have you tried clearing the cache?

If at first you don't succeed, use a bigger hammer. If that fails, read the manual.
My Mods

Mick.

Quote from: Kays on April 10, 2010, 11:22:14 AM
Actually, I was think of disabling the Gallery. :) Maybe comment out the code for it on that page.

But it's a good to know that disabling caching will clear the error. Have you tried clearing the cache?

Yep.

It appears in level 1 and 2.  It goes away when OFF.

Quite frankly i dont know what setting it should be.  All this time was OFF.

vbgamer45

Where is that error coming from is that from a mod or SMF?

I love caching just because it makes the site performance a lot better.
Community Suite for SMF - Take your forum to the next level built for SMF, Gallery,Store,Classifieds,Downloads,more!

SMFHacks.com -  Paid Modifications for SMF

Mods:
EzPortal - Portal System for SMF
SMF Gallery Pro
SMF Store SMF Classifieds Ad Seller Pro

Mick.

Quote from: vbgamer45 on April 10, 2010, 11:59:48 AM
Where is that error coming from is that from a mod or SMF?

I love caching just because it makes the site performance a lot better.

I created a php page and it just the only one that shows.

http://www.chevyavalancheclub.com/av_registry.php

<?php require("/home/******/public_html/SSI.php");
$context['page_title_html_safe'] = 'AV Registry';
$context['meta_keywords'];
template_header(); 

echo
'
<h3 class="titlebg"><span class="left"></span>Chevy Avalanche Registry</h3><br />'
;
echo
'
<div style="text-align: center; font-weight: bold;"><img align="absMiddle" src="http://www.chevyavalancheclub.com/images/rightturn.png" /></a> Showcase Your Chevy Avalanche With One Picture and a list of Mods....... <a href="http://www.chevyavalancheclub.com/index.php?board=294.0">Here</a></div><br />'
;


$parameters = array(
  
'limit' => 5,
  
'board' => array(296,297,298,299,300,301,302,303),
  
'board_disp' => false,
  
'category_disp' => false,
  
'avatar' => 'right',
  
'attachments' => 'thumbnail',
  
  
);
ssi_multiBoardNews($parameters);



echo
'
<br />
<div style="text-align: center;"><script type="text/javascript"><!--
google_ad_client = "pub-0022808160619558";
/* 728x90, created 11/26/08 */
google_ad_slot = "8495718383";
google_ad_width = 728;
google_ad_height = 90;
//-->
</script>
<script type="text/javascript"
src="http://pagead2.googlesyndication.com/pagead/show_ads.js">
</script></div>'
;
            
template_footer(); ?>

vbgamer45

Hmm I think it might be a bug with SMF then something SSI releated.
Community Suite for SMF - Take your forum to the next level built for SMF, Gallery,Store,Classifieds,Downloads,more!

SMFHacks.com -  Paid Modifications for SMF

Mods:
EzPortal - Portal System for SMF
SMF Gallery Pro
SMF Store SMF Classifieds Ad Seller Pro

Kays

Yes, if you're only using ssi_multiBoardNews on that page then the Gallery probably is not at fault.

Did this ever work before?

If at first you don't succeed, use a bigger hammer. If that fails, read the manual.
My Mods

Mick.

Quote from: Kays on April 10, 2010, 12:18:53 PM
Yes, if you're only using ssi_multiBoardNews on that page then the Gallery probably is not at fault.

Did this ever work before?

No i dont think is the gallery either. I never noticed the warning in that page until the cache was turned ON.

Kays

Something to try, Add ssi_multiBoardNews to the ssi_examples.php page as you have it there. Then see if you still get the error. If so, start removing some of the parameters and see if any of them are causing it.

If at first you don't succeed, use a bigger hammer. If that fails, read the manual.
My Mods

Mick.

Quote from: Kays on April 10, 2010, 01:06:44 PM
Something to try, Add ssi_multiBoardNews to the ssi_examples.php page as you have it there. Then see if you still get the error. If so, start removing some of the parameters and see if any of them are causing it.


I removed this from my page:
$parameters = array(
  'limit' => 5,
  'board' => array(296,297,298,299,300,301,302,303),
  'board_disp' => false,
  'category_disp' => false,
  'avatar' => 'right',
  'attachments' => 'thumbnail',
 
 
);
ssi_multiBoardNews($parameters);


and the warning still appears.    Hmmm...... it may not be the ssi boardnews mod causing it.

Kays

Nope, it's not that then.

Start commenting out sections of that page to try to isolate where it's coming from.

If at first you don't succeed, use a bigger hammer. If that fails, read the manual.
My Mods

Mick.

Quote from: Kays on April 12, 2010, 08:13:55 PM
Nope, it's not that then.

Start commenting out sections of that page to try to isolate where it's coming from.

Well, i figured it may not be the page as i have 2 pages:

/av_registry.php
/results.php

I only have these 2 pages outside SMF using the header and footer and both have the warning.

Kays

Comment each out to see which one is causing it.

If at first you don't succeed, use a bigger hammer. If that fails, read the manual.
My Mods

Mick.

I took your advice and removed everything except the footer and header codes.

<?php require("/home/******/public_html/SSI.php");
template_header();          
template_footer(); ?>


Now an empty page, still, warning message appears.

Kays

So it's either one of those then. Comment each out and see which one it is.

Just a thought, does it do it with the default theme also?

If at first you don't succeed, use a bigger hammer. If that fails, read the manual.
My Mods

Mick.

Quote from: Kays on April 12, 2010, 08:59:41 PM
So it's either one of those then. Comment each out and see which one it is.

Just a thought, does it do it with the default theme also?

Yes on default theme.

I removed 1 page and the message appeared on the page.   Then restored the page and removed the 2nd page and message also appeared.  (vice-versa).

Kays

April 13, 2010, 09:55:48 AM #24 Last Edit: April 13, 2010, 10:00:52 AM by Kays
Hmm, I think this could be a bug. Somewhere. ::)

What it looks like is happening is that for RC3 the $mdSetitings['cache_enabled'] variable is now being carried in SSI.php where as before it wasn't. So the question is, is caching suppose to work when using SSI.php?

A fix. In SSI.php look for:

// Make sure wireless is always off.


and add before it:


$modSettings['cache_enable'] = 0;


Or you could add that after including SSI.php on those pages. Either way this will disable caching and clear the error.

If at first you don't succeed, use a bigger hammer. If that fails, read the manual.
My Mods

Mick.

Quote from: Kays on April 13, 2010, 09:55:48 AM
Hmm, I think this could be a bug. Somewhere. ::)

What it looks like is happening is that for RC3 the $mdSetitings['cache_enabled'] variable is now being carried in SSI.php where as before it wasn't. So the question is, is caching suppose to work when using SSI.php?

A fix. In SSI.php look for:

// Make sure wireless is always off.


and add before it:


$modSettings['cache_enable'] = 0;


Or you could add that after including SSI.php on those pages. Either way this will disable caching and clear the error.

I added directly to the page and now the message is gone.  Very cool man.

Now i can run cache level 1 or 2.

vbgamer45

Community Suite for SMF - Take your forum to the next level built for SMF, Gallery,Store,Classifieds,Downloads,more!

SMFHacks.com -  Paid Modifications for SMF

Mods:
EzPortal - Portal System for SMF
SMF Gallery Pro
SMF Store SMF Classifieds Ad Seller Pro

Mick.


Advertisement: