Help After Trying to Downgrade RC3 to RC2

Started by jjwinc, April 10, 2010, 11:26:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jjwinc

Got myself into a mini mess and am trying to dig myself back out. 

I upgraded to RC3 before I bothered to check if it was compatible with Simple Portal.  I made a backup of everything before I started (except the DB, but the upgrade took care of that by inserting duplicate table entries with backup_ prefix).  So, I had all files backed up and all table entries have been backed up, I thought I was okay.

When I saw things weren't working as I had anticipated, I decided to revert back to my original set up (RC2) by simply uploading the backup over what was there.   I also had to uninstall SP and reinstall it to get things working the way it used to.   The only thing I have yet to do (and I do not know if it's necessary) is to copy the backed up database tables back into their original slots.

Now, things are ALMOST back to normal, but I'm having a few issues.  First, all of my admin menus have lost their original look and are, instead, being displayed as bulleted lists.  This tells me that something is amiss with the admin template, but things look okay from this end.

Also, when I try to change the default theme to Curve, the setting doesn't "stick", it reverts back to LightModern (the theme that I used and modded). 

Could someone point me in the right direction on how to get back to square one?  I would have thought overwriting using my backup would've put everything back to normal, but that's not the case.

Here's a screen shot of what I see in the admin panel
http://www.atu85.org/images/admin.jpg [nofollow]

The site address is: http://www.atu85.org/v2 [nofollow]
ID: test
PW: testing

adbrad

simple portal is compatible with RC3 i have it working fine with my RC3 test forum

jjwinc

Did you have a clean install and were able to instantly see SP or did you have to reinstall SP, too? 

If I get things back to the way they were, I'll try again in a more controlled (test) environment.  This site is in its infancy, so I'm not concerned about loss of data.  I just need the functionality back to the way it was.

adbrad

mine was an upgraded rc2 forum i will try on a fresh install and let you know

update: just installed simpleportal 2.3.2 on a fresh rc3 no issues

Kill Em All

You can't downgrade your forum like that, just won't work.

Have you tried clicking the advance link in the package manager and emulating your forum to SMF 2.0 RC2 then trying to install SP?

My Site: KEAGaming.com

Manual Installation of Mods
Prevent Spam and Forum Attacks
Please do not PM or email me for support unless offered, help should be publicly displayed to others.

jjwinc

I have not tried that yet...but I can.  The problem is I've already overwritten everything with the old RC2 stuff.  Would it be as easy as just re-installing RC3 over top of what's there or will I be making a (bigger) mess of things? 

Also, is my problem stemming from the fact that I haven't reverted back to the old database tables?

Arantor

Use the Large Upgrade package, this will refresh all the files to RC3 standard and ensure the DB is fixed up as it should be.

Kill Em All

Quote from: Arantor on April 11, 2010, 10:06:20 AM
Use the Large Upgrade package, this will refresh all the files to RC3 standard and ensure the DB is fixed up as it should be.
Correct, when you upload the RC3 files back, just run the upgrade.php again just to be safe.

My Site: KEAGaming.com

Manual Installation of Mods
Prevent Spam and Forum Attacks
Please do not PM or email me for support unless offered, help should be publicly displayed to others.

jjwinc

I re-upped the large package and ran upgrade.php again; this time things went much more smoothly.  I dropped emulation to RC2, reinstalled SimplePortal and things worked as expected.  Just out of curiosity, I changed emulation back to RC3 and it still worked...so I don't know what happened the first time around.

I was still having an issue with the theme that I was using, but I installed the RC3 version of that theme and all returned to normal.  Now I just need to add my changes to the template throughout the site.

Thanks to all for their help and suggestions. 

Advertisement: