In Line Attachments -- ILA

Started by Spuds, April 17, 2010, 06:45:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spuds

Make sure you turned the mod "on"

Admin -> configuration -> modification settings -> miscellaneous

make sure there is a check next to (ILA) Enable the in line attachment modification

silverpt

In the "View and Remove Installed Packages" i see the mod InLine Attachments 1.09 installed but in the Modification Settings -> Miscellaneous i see the message There are no modifications installed that have added any settings to this area yet.

Spuds

If it says installed and nothing is shown under that settings area it indicates that it did not install completely.

This is most likely a file permissions issue where the package manager was not able write updates to the files (either not writable or not writable for the group/owner that the package manager is running under).  Normally it shows a warning at the bottom of the package install screen along the lines of "not all the files were writable" and you have to enter your ftp credentials so it can do a chmod.

Now I'm assuming your on a *nix install ...
You can try to uninstall (it will probably show errors because it *thinks* it installed and will look for the edits it made but since they are not there it will complain).  Once uninstalled go to admin -> packages -> file permissions

Now it can get confusing as the file owner may not be the same id that smf is running under or the owner could have been set to the apache default which is 99 I think.

One of the files that did not update correctly was managesettings.php, if its permissions are 644 and it was not able to write to it then there is an ownership issue and things will need to be 664 or 666.  If its already 666 then I have not idea.

If not you can try one of the predefined profiles to set the permissions, try standard or free for starters.

You can also hunt and peck and set the files that the package needs to change to 664/666

Or if you know what the user number you are running some ftp clients will let you do a chown and then you can set the ownership to yourself and 644 would work. 

Sorry I can't be more specific, not really a package issue but a general smf install issue.

silverpt

Hello!

I finally get this working by simply give chmod -R 0777 to entire SMF directory. Now i will revert the file permissions to their previous state.

Thanks for the support :)

allthumbz

This is a great mod...I was hoping that Spuds was going to modify this for  RC5, or maybe let us know how to modify it to work with the new version.

Thanks,

Nelson

allthumbz

Quote from: allthumbz on February 13, 2011, 06:48:41 PM
This is a great mod...I was hoping that Spuds was going to modify this for  RC5, or maybe let us know how to modify it to work with the new version.

Thanks,

Nelson

Bumps up

Arantor

Quote from: allthumbz on February 13, 2011, 06:48:41 PM

Thanks,

Nelson

Or you could have a little patience seeing how people have real lives... I'm sure he'll update it when he has time.

allthumbz

Arantor,

No need to get huffy! I realize people have lives. I'm not trying to pressure anyone!

This is a great mod and my users have come to rely on it is all.
What they should do is not release new versions until they give a heads-up to the mod writers and give them a chance to upgrade their mods, so that things flow a little smoother. Losing your mods is a good reason not to upgrade, but when I saw there were security fixes, I thought it was a good idea.

Peace, dude!

Nelson

Arantor

Unfortunately it does not work like that, no package I know that's generally available provides heads-up notice to mod authors unless it's something huge changing, WordPress for example doesn't notify mod authors that a new security patch is coming along, neither does phpBB to the best of my knowledge. In fact, even on paid forum systems, mod authors don't get advanced notice of security patches or anything else unless it severely compromises how they have written mods.

You see, you could have used the security patch for RC4 to tide you over until mods get updated - that's why the team even released it.

Spuds

I will have an update out this week ... I have several packages that I need to update, and I would like to actually make use of some of the RC4/5 features at some point as they can improve the way the package hooks in to the forum. 

As Arantor noted there is no notice day/week or anything (not that I would really expect one) to mod owners that a change is coming, nor is there a pre look at the code to see what changed.  So basically we get the package just like everyone at which point I spend the next couple of days looking at the code changes and figuring out what changed and how it might effect what my mods do.  So stay tuned, I'll have an update out -soon-

allthumbz

Thanks very much Spuds- greatly appreciated. Will be looking for it.

The ILA-9 mod has become a great staple on our site.  It works great.  The only suggestion I would have is to perhaps increase the lettering on the Browse box for us old-timers that do not see that well anymore.

Thanks again!

Nelson

Flippi

Quote from: Spuds on February 14, 2011, 11:37:18 AM
I will have an update out this week ... I have several packages that I need to update, and I would like to actually make use of some of the RC4/5 features at some point as they can improve the way the package hooks in to the forum. 

As Arantor noted there is no notice day/week or anything (not that I would really expect one) to mod owners that a change is coming, nor is there a pre look at the code to see what changed.  So basically we get the package just like everyone at which point I spend the next couple of days looking at the code changes and figuring out what changed and how it might effect what my mods do.  So stay tuned, I'll have an update out -soon-

Perfect!!!!! :)

allthumbz

I tried the v2 RC5 version (1.10), and it works nicely, EXCEPT the following:

When an in-line attachment is deleted on edit, by unchecking the check box when you modify your post, the image code remains in the text, and it generates an error because the image is no longer there.

Question: Is this the way it is SUPPOSED to function, i.e., you must remove the corresponding [image=] code in the text if you delete a photo attachment, or should it delete the code automatically?

Thanks for updating this great mod!

Nelson

Spuds

QuoteQuestion: Is this the way it is SUPPOSED to function, i.e., you must remove the corresponding [image=] code in the text if you delete a photo attachment, or should it delete the code automatically?
Thats the way it functions, wont go so far as to say supposed to, but will say that is the way the current code works.

If you delete the attachment you need to edit your post and remove the attach tag.  Likewise if you had multiple attachments and removed the "middle" one you may need to check the attachment tags in the message as well since the 1-x order will change.  Its a bit complicated given all the permutations, and thats not even considering messages that may have quoted the edited message as well.

allthumbz

Ok, thanks Spuds.

I'm mainly asking in order to post instructions on my site to the less computer-inclined to alert them as to how to use it. I don't mind editing the message. Small price to pay for a great feature (that I believe should be PART of SMF).

You should also know that if you replace the image with another that you deleted, you need not remove the code- it simply substitutes the new image for the removed one, which is neat.

Best,

Nelson

Stigmartyr

Does anyone know if this mod works with SMF2 RC2 ?

RvG

Arantor

Instead, try to consider upgrading to a version that doesn't have numerous security holes in it.

Stigmartyr

Quote from: Arantor on March 06, 2011, 02:48:52 PM
Instead, try to consider upgrading to a version that doesn't have numerous security holes in it.

To be honest, it's alot of work and why would I manually update all my features and mods when there's no expectation that we wont see SMF2 RC99 before they finally go gold?

I'd love to upgrade with SMF everytime they rev, but there is no easy path I can see to taking your mods along with you and this is exactly why I am helping fund development of a wordpress based forums.  When they rev.  I update my plugins without pain and suffering.

When SMF revs itself I need chicken blood and a Ouija board to figure out of all my work is going to even carry over to the next version or if that version will even be around long enough for me to upgrade.

Vanilla SMF2?  Easy to upgrade!  But it's vapid without the mods that make it useful.  Maybe one day they figure that out.  Maybe they don't.  Thus plan B on the back burner.

Don't take it wrong, I've faithfully used and promoted SMF for several years - but this is why most production sites run I.P. and the dog grooming businesses and hobbyists use SMF.

Arantor

Except that it won't happen until SMF moves away from its current system, and they have even broken the 'feature locked' status of 2.0 to implement things to help make that happen.

In SMF's defence, the system they use is why it outperforms WP every single time (I mean, did you realise that even the default WP install takes 20 queries to generate the front page...?), I created a test forum yesterday of half a million topics, I know that WP couldn't handle that properly.

Also, since 2.0 RC3, mods being broken are increasingly further and further apart... and most of the problems where mods are concerned isn't even down to SMF's structure, it's often down to mod authors who didn't take the time to learn SMF's innards a bit better; almost all of my RC2 mods work fine on RC5 often with no changes other than the version number.

Advertisement: