News:

Wondering if this will always be free?  See why free is better.

Main Menu

In Line Attachments -- ILA

Started by Spuds, April 17, 2010, 06:45:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stigmartyr

Quote from: Arantor on March 07, 2011, 03:02:48 AM
In SMF's defence, the system they use is why it outperforms WP every single time (I mean, did you realise that even the default WP install takes 20 queries to generate the front page...?), I created a test forum yesterday of half a million topics, I know that WP couldn't handle that properly.

Also, since 2.0 RC3, mods being broken are increasingly further and further apart... and most of the problems where mods are concerned isn't even down to SMF's structure, it's often down to mod authors who didn't take the time to learn SMF's innards a bit better; almost all of my RC2 mods work fine on RC5 often with no changes other than the version number.

Correct you are my friend and this is also why I'm not using WP forums yet for anything serious.  They're probably 1-2 years away from anything I can use anyways.  But I've gotta admit they have more vibrant themes, and easier to install plugins.

The most painful thing for me is watching SMF RC5 wondering: is now the best time to burn 100hours upgrading and are all the mods I need going to work with it :P

Arantor

SMF doesn't have "more vibrant themes" for three reasons.

1. The system structure is physically more complex. WP has one basic interface: display of posts/pages, and variations thereof (e.g. monthly archive, but it's still the same basic thing) while SMF has many different interfaces because of its greater complexity. That alone makes it harder to achieve greatness in theming.

2. The fact that modders don't spend much time figuring out the best way to approach mods is that they end up doing template changes. The net result is themers don't bother to make that interesting a theme because it breaks mod compatibility.

3. Curve's markup and structure doesn't make it that easy to make interesting themes anyway, but see also 1 above.

The plugins are only easier to install because they're more fundamentally limited; they have to use the hook points WP gives to them and if you don't have those hook points, you're still reduced to code editing. Oh, and more than one custom theme has to be modified for custom widgets. (In my history I have managed 2 different WP blogs so I'm somewhat familiar with what goes on under the hood)

Well, do you need all your mods? Do they benefit your site or were they ones that 'sounded cool'? Most sites have as many as 90% of their mods being mostly unused and wouldn't miss them if they updated. The upshot is things run faster and smoother as a result.

Stigmartyr

Quote from: Arantor on March 07, 2011, 10:49:39 AM
Well, do you need all your mods? Do they benefit your site or were they ones that 'sounded cool'? Most sites have as many as 90% of their mods being mostly unused and wouldn't miss them if they updated. The upshot is things run faster and smoother as a result.

There used to be some good skinners out there some years ago who's work I eagerly paid for.  They were on the cutting edge so to speak.  IMHO SMF doesn't truly become useful until you've install either TP or SP to add the blocks and portal features in.  In retrospect I'm glad SMF has more than one portal mod out there cause competition is good for consumers.  But at the same time, why are WP themes selling hand over fist?  Their designers are selling HTML5/jQuery enhanced templates.  And the UI is awesome, not clunky and text based.

It's the uninspired designing that detract from SMF, too.

Take AEVA media for example: great mod, but the guys simply insist on using that butt ugly drop down rating system because he's a stubborn goat.  So the result is that probably 0.1% of the audience engages on rating a photo because they can't have Ajax driven buttons instead.  Facebook has thoroughly proven user engagement on using this if you're going to be trying to peddle in forms and text.

And I can accept 20 queries to load a page.  I dont find it so terrible anymore either with the power and speed of today's servers.  If you plan on realistically serving HIGH traffic without a clustered solution you're a fool and you deserve your punishment lol

Arantor

20 queries before you START... I've been asked to fix nodded WP installs that make up to 400 queries per page. Worst I ever saw on SMF under even bad conditions was under 100 (excluding the 7 million queries I pushed through in one page yesterday, but building a 1.5m post test forum isn't normal)

As for Aeva, you know he's moving that to another platform, and rewriting it (and there will be AJAX if I have anything to say about it, which I do ;D)

The difference is, SMF 2 is still about 3 years behind due to it's dev cycle. Mind you, HTML5 isn't everything...

henrik1782

Just for quriosity... which platform i Aeva moving to?
My favorite mods: Forum Firewall, httBL, MessagePreviewOnHover, BoardHover Mod, VB Style Board Index, Separate Replies and Views Column, Realtime clock by Joker, ENotify, Topic Solved.

Arantor

Quote from: henrik1782 on March 08, 2011, 04:31:59 AM

Not one that's publicly available at this time.

Stigmartyr

Quote from: Arantor on March 08, 2011, 04:32:57 AM
Quote from: henrik1782 on March 08, 2011, 04:31:59 AM

Not one that's publicly available at this time.

Watch it be wordpress :P 

Arantor

Definitely not WordPress. WordPress has the most unholy database structure I have seen in a 'production' system, which is why I wrote a crude WP importer since I'm replacing my WP blog with the new platform - which can be both a blog and forum at once, without mods :o

Anyway, this is derailing a thread far too much.

Stigmartyr

Quote from: Arantor on March 08, 2011, 09:29:11 AM
Definitely not WordPress. WordPress has the most unholy database structure I have seen in a 'production' system, which is why I wrote a crude WP importer since I'm replacing my WP blog with the new platform - which can be both a blog and forum at once, without mods :o

Anyway, this is derailing a thread far too much.

With news like this?  By all means, please continue:

live627

Hello Spuds, just wanted to report an undefined index error when a member views a topic with attachments.

8: Undefined index: ila_alwaysfullsize
File: /Sources/ILA-Subs.php
Line: 398

The relevant code?

397: // fix any tag option incompatabilities
==>398:    if ($modSettings['ila_alwaysfullsize'] == 1) $type = 'img'; // we were overidden in the admin conrol panel
399: if ((!$attachment['is_image']) && (in_array($type, $images))) $type = 'url'; // cant show an image for a non image attachment

Need to check if the value isn't empty.

(I just now noticed that I'm two versions behind... and I didn't search first. I'm the guilty one :D)

allthumbz

Posted in error- sorry!!

Thanks,

Nelson

Arantor

Don't think it's this mod... using the httpBL or Forum Firewall mods?

engr_dood

Hi Spuds,

I'm running version 1.10 of the mod under 2.0RC5.  It seems the behavior of quoting of posts containing inline attachments has changed from earlier versions.  With previous versions, quoting a post with an inline attachment resulted in a link back to the post itself in the portion that quoted the "attach=" tag.  In 1.10 / 2.0RC5, this message comes up:

[ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ]

This is not a big deal, but I thought I'd mention it in case you weren't aware of it.

Spuds

Thanks I'll take a look ... I did not intentionally make any changes in that area of the code, could be a simple format change occurred in RC4 or RC5 with quote formatting that I did not catch ....

EDIT ... Have not been able to reproduce this just yet ... Could you provide a site where I can see this or some more details of when this occurs ... all quotes, just some, any other mods, etc

Thanks!

engr_dood

I'll send you a PM in a moment with user name, site info and the post.

Spuds

@engr_dood

Thanks for the test account, I *think* I know what was causing the issue.  The fix was easy BUT quotes and nested quotes when trying to replace the part of the quote with ILA tags with an appropriate back  link, gets complicated.  I really should re think the way its done in this mod but that's for another day (I hope).

Here is a test file for ... um testing   ;)

live627

Hey Spuds, have you seen my post above? Is it a valid issue, or was it fixed since?

Spuds

Quote from: live627 on March 19, 2011, 11:47:39 PM
Hey Spuds, have you seen my post above? Is it a valid issue, or was it fixed since?
Sorry about that, when I saw the edit I thought you had tried the latest version and did not have the problem, anyway in 1.10 that line is
Quoteif (isset($modSettings['ila_alwaysfullsize']) && $modSettings['ila_alwaysfullsize'] == 1) $type = 'img'; // we were overidden in the admin conrol panel
So it should be fixed ... could just do !empty as well, and fix the spelling of control and overridden while I'm at it :)

engr_dood

Quote from: Spuds on March 19, 2011, 11:15:44 PMHere is a test file for ... um testing   ;)

Thanks!  Tried it out and it fixes the issue.  I'll try testing various other combinations of nested quotes and such as well.

Spuds

Thats good to hear ... I've updated the package to v1.11 on the mod site.

Advertisement: