News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

[Released] Minimalism (was: Proteus)

Started by bloc, May 19, 2010, 04:27:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nao 尚

Quote from: Runic on May 20, 2010, 06:31:47 PM
its hard to explain but for me the colors just dont fit the design,
I think they do. Just missing some red.
I will not make any deals with you. I've resigned. I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered.

Aeva Media rocks your life.

Antechinus

It's interesting, but IMO the earlier Display.template is better than the latest one. I would also be inclined to integrate the avatars into the post backgrounds as I think that would give a smoother look. They look a bit choppy to me just stuck out the side, and it would be worse if people have larger and/or varying sized avatars.

Frankly I think that while the emphasis on content is good it isn't the be all and end all of a page. If you're going to emphasise content the logical conclusion is to use a completely unstyled page which is basically pure html output. I prefer to have more visual interest without actually detracting from the content. To me apps like Facebook look very bland and dull.

bloc

Update:
I have  changed slightly some parts again, and also added in( which i think will be interesting) quick-sections for more things than just quick-reply. Quick-reply btw are supposed to pop out right under a post - if you quote it - and adding a poll to a topic should pop out a quick poll template right underneath and so on. I also removed signatures + user-info in posts, they will pop out if you click any avatar.

To answer the question of uneven-sized avatars: they will be scaled to a fixed width with CSS so the layout keeps its cool. The exact scaling may be set though theme settings, and SSI will be used for things that aren't present in normal templates. In addition I'm adding support for mods that are popular and fit right in with the FaceBook-like direction of the theme.

Updated screenshots will be posted in first post soon.

bloc

Ok, added final drafts to first post. Time to start coding "Proteus" lol ;D

Thanks for the comments, people.

Nao 尚

Name sounds too much like Nucleus to me, lol. Is that intended? ;)
I will not make any deals with you. I've resigned. I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered.

king999

i want to remove header from this theme and add a logo how to do that when i add a logo it's not compatible with this theme Can anyone make logo for my site is sharethetrick.com
help me

Deaks

be hard as this theme isnt even made yet.
~~~~
Former SMF Project Manager
Former SMF Customizer

"For as lang as hunner o us is in life, in nae wey
will we thole the Soothron tae owergang us. In truth it isna for glory, or wealth, or
honours that we fecht, but for freedom alane, that nae honest cheil gies up but wi life
itsel."

bloc

Quote from: Nao on May 26, 2010, 01:50:06 AM
Name sounds too much like Nucleus to me, lol. Is that intended? ;)
No? Proteus I picked because of:
QuoteFrom this feature of Proteus comes the adjective  protean, with the general meaning of "versatile", "mutable", "capable of assuming many forms". "Protean" has positive connotations of flexibility, versatility and adaptability.
or http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Proteus

:)

bullbreedluverz

well lets hope the theme dont get Proteus Syndrome....... (which is what the Elephant Man supposedly suffered from)

bloc

Well, that would defeat the whole idea of a minimalistic theme then, wouldn't it? i dare say no other themes for SMF looks like this atm, and certainly not as stripped. ;D

All the more exciting to see how it will work out when its used live.

Ken.

Quote from: Bloc on May 26, 2010, 02:51:45 PM
Well, that would defeat the whole idea of a minimalistic theme then, wouldn't it? i dare say no other themes for SMF looks like this atm, and certainly not as stripped. ;D

All the more exciting to see how it will work out when its used live.

I'm ready for it.  8)
"If you don't have a stack of failures in your shop, you aren't trying hard enough". --Richard Raffin.

Crip

Groovy idea Bloc,
musta been harder to code than Theme Simplicity. :)
I have become comfortably numb!

I remember my mother's prayers and they have always followed me.
   - Abraham Lincoln -

TOTM Winner. | Demo Site1on1 Theme Support

bloc

Oh yes. ;D Working through Messageindex/Display now and already its total rewrite. I had to add in some db code too, to fetch the avatars among others..but I think its worth it.

Right now it will support Aeva Gallery and Online users Today, with planned Board Viewers,Related topics, AjaxChat and Active users in topic mods supported. Primary because they are popualr mods, secondary becasue they "fit" this theme better than most other mods. Not sure how portals will be supported..but I have some ideas on them too.

A live screenshot..:

Matthew K.

Very, very nice job! I will definitely consider adapting this theme for a forum of mine.

Nao 尚

Quote from: Bloc on June 10, 2010, 06:02:07 PM
Right now it will support Aeva Gallery
Just want to make sure you undertsand it's 'Aeva Media' when it has the gallery system, and just 'Aeva' when it doesn't.
That is, the terminology for listing pictures from within the system would be a 'Aeva Media gallery', 'Aeva Media albums/items/samples' or just 'Aeva Media'...
I'm just trying to have a logical terminology really... Please don't make it so confusing that even I am not sure about it anymore ;)

bloc

Aeva Media it is then. :)

Nao 尚

zutzu

very very nice man o.O!!

bloc

Some new colors, and removal of some sections -> new images from a live testsite added to first post.

fords8

Very nice work Bloc! Looking forward to the release of this!

Advertisement: