Previous topic - Next topic

Do you think this is going to take off

yes it sound like a good idea
5 (83.3%)
no it'll die before it starts
1 (16.7%)

Total Members Voted: 6

adbrad

At the moment I'm toying with the idea of starting a new forum even though i know my current one is a bit of a flop.
Well my idea, was to create a wolves forum,(not the football team, but the animal).
I've no idea what the interest in this would be, but having done a quick google search, i don't see many out there. Even if there is they are not in the first 3 pages of google.
So my question to the comunity is.
Do you think it's a good idea?
Do you think it will take off?
Would anyone here be interested in joining up?

Mick.

Do it.

For one, american indians, twilight saga, dream catchers, Underworld, etc.

di3f00l

Never thought about it, but I used to be really active on deviant art (still log on a bit) and there were wolf lovers EVERYWHERE. Wolf fan art and stories everywhere, wolf costume designers, everything. For some reason people love wolves! So... You just gave me and idea (to give back to you) you can make a wolf RPG. People design their own wolf and you have events on them. I suggest checking Deviantart.com for more information and view their art to get an idea what it is like. I saw a cat rpg game someone had on here, so you could check that out and not copy it but rather mix it up. You can use the SMFShop and people gain points per post and then they can put in bank and save with interest, buy items which you can use, and use a trade system (it is actually very cool) You can get some custom items made so maybe the wolfs can even have health and such. It is limitless! Use your imagination!

adbrad

thanks for the idea but no idea how to run a rpg so doubt it would work.
but i started doing some design work and i thought i may use the attached in the logo, what do people think.

di3f00l

I think that looks nice. People have to start somewhere. I honestly think you may be able to get a load of moderators almost automatically from deviant art that you could just ask and they can tell you what they would like to see and all you have to do is get the mods installed, maybe a few updates to it, and get the images for the items etc.

Neverhurry

Sounds interesting, worth giving a try. Good luck. :D
I am using SMF 2.0.1, curve themes.

Allusion

It's quite an interesting idea, worth pursuing if you have the time and desire.

I reckon that most of the interest will be related to what wolves symbolize, stand for and are used in (movies, books etc), rather than the animals themselves, so you gotta allow for a variety of wolf-related topics in your forum and see how it goes on from there.

Be sure to put a lot of thought into forum organization. Separate areas of interest (the differences can be subtle, mind you) into their own categories and boards. If a particular category or board seems to take off very well on its own, you could even split it into its own forum later.

Best of luck!

adbrad

I certainly have time.
And yes i was going to make it a general forum for everything wolf related.
Before i can think about catergories and such i need a theme, I was thinking something mystical, as they are mystical creatures.
Any one have any theme suggestions. I will be using rc3.
I have also added a poll for your votes.
Also could anyone reccomend a good free host (not post2host) as i will be running it on a test basis.
If it is succesful and takes off i will switch to paid hosting.

Allusion

adbrad

Here's a rough draft of a logo comments please

DazzleStar

I love wolves, please let me know when you start it!  :D

adbrad

Quote from: DazzleStar on May 26, 2010, 03:48:22 AM
I love wolves, please let me know when you start it!  :D
i'll post here when its done but at the momet i have no host,domain name or theme at the moment have got to sort them out before i can even build the forum

Torniquet

wolves are amazing creatures.

i would deffinatly sign up, and post if i ever get the time lol.

rd

I wish you sucess!

adbrad

for those who are interested i have started work on this, i am hosting on a free host and domain for the time being.
http://wolfforum.xtreemhost.com/ is where its located at the moment.

Neverhurry

It will not be easy to pick up a good domain for wolf.... but I wish you success.
I am using SMF 2.0.1, curve themes.

adbrad

i looked in to domains and wolfforums is available as are certain tlds for wolf forum

di3f00l

Might want to come up with a theme first. If its more of a mystical site people might not like 'wolf forum' to be the name lol, kinda bland.

adbrad

thanks but i'm not a theme designer all i can do is curve variations, not even good at that so.
If people want to suggest a theme and domain name feel free.

rd

Quote from: adbrad on May 26, 2010, 12:34:00 PM
for those who are interested i have started work on this, i am hosting on a free host and domain for the time being.
http://wolfforum.xtreemhost.com/ is where its located at the moment.

Free reseller of byethosting. I recommend you make a lot of backups because byet will suspend you when they see your traffic going up a bit...

adbrad

this is only temporary solution why i try to get it off the ground if i get alot of interest i will go on to paid hosting.

di3f00l

Quote from: adbrad on May 26, 2010, 04:43:52 PM
thanks but i'm not a theme designer all i can do is curve variations, not even good at that so.
i dont mean theme for forum i just mean like the topic/theme of the site.

DazzleStar

Quote from: adbrad on May 26, 2010, 05:03:04 PM
this is only temporary solution why i try to get it off the ground if i get alot of interest i will go on to paid hosting.

If the free host gives you a backup of the forums and the database, then  it isn't a problem. But how many free hostcompanies do something like that?

adbrad

Quote from: di3f00l on May 26, 2010, 06:26:57 PM
Quote from: adbrad on May 26, 2010, 04:43:52 PM
i dont mean theme for forum i just mean like the topic/theme of the site.
the theme is wolves and everything related to it

@dazzle: i will take my own backups, i installed smf myself it wasn't already on the server

Advertisement: