News:

SMF 2.1.4 has been released! Take it for a spin! Read more.

Main Menu

[Accepted] Recycle Bin

Started by Tim, August 05, 2003, 09:15:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Burpee

:D

Well, the average visitor leaves 10 completely useless posts before posting 1 useful post. So asking for a second opinion on every deletion would take up so much time I'd probably lose all my moderators. On average we delete about 15 posts per day. Having the recycle bin actually IS like a second opinion, all mods check out the recycle bin to see if anything has been wrongfully deleted...

debragrant

Ben_S

Liverpool FC Forum with 14 million+ posts.

debragrant

all I get is its in Moderation Tools but I can't find it in there

shentino

Hmm...

How about a permission to bypass the recycle bin?

Like regular users could only make them go to the recycle bin, and possibly mods.

High level staffers and gmods would however be able to nuke a topic completely if they had the "bypass recycle bin" permission.

Peter Duggan

Quote from: shentino on August 12, 2007, 04:50:15 PM
High level staffers and gmods would however be able to nuke a topic completely if they had the "bypass recycle bin" permission.

Since it's already possible to give them the permission to delete from it, wouldn't that do?

shentino

If I understand you correctly, they'd still have to hop to the recycle bin and delete it again.  If I'm going to be removing obvious garbage, I'd rather not have to play board hopscotch to do it.

Also, high level staffers may very well not want to have to review their own deletes and sift through the recycle bin for deletions they were already certain of when they deleted them the first time.

Suggestion:  Let deletes bypass the recycle bin entirely if they have permission to delete from the recycle bin.  No added permission needed, just a convenient shortcut for something they could play hopscotch to do anyway.

Col

Disable the recycle bin.

Disable deletion by all groups (so that you don't potentially loose posts to permanent deletion that you may wish to retrieve)

As an Administrator, delete the posts and threads you wish to permanently delete.

Reinstate the recycle bin and deletion privileges.

shentino

I think you want to disable deletions BEFORE you disable the recycle bin.  Who knows what random webmonkey will come along at exactly the wrong time?

lol.

And anyway, that still sounds like playing hopscotch.

Consle 4 talk

Advertisement: