Server timezone setting

Started by yoghurtfarmer, July 16, 2010, 08:46:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

yoghurtfarmer

I am wondering, why does this have to be set to the server time (ie: what issues can it cause) if it was set incorrectly?

The proper way would be to set server timezone correctly then adjust the offset, but changing the server timezone to the local time zone also shows the correct time.

Thanks

Adish - (F.L.A.M.E.R)

By Default, your offset is 0. So if your server timezone is different, you can alter the offset to set it as the local time. Although if your server timezone is the same as local timezone, you don't need to use the offset. You can simply set it to 0.

yoghurtfarmer

My server is actually hosted in another time zone, so it's not the same as local time...but when I set "server timezone" in the admin console to my local time zone, the times appear correctly. I was just wondering if there are any negative effects of using that rather than setting the server timezone correctly and then using time offset.

More of a curiosity question really.

Adish - (F.L.A.M.E.R)

How do you set the timezone to server timezone? Do you set the offset to "0" ?

Are you viewing it as a registered user or guest?

yoghurtfarmer

Quote from: (F.L.A.M.E.R) on July 16, 2010, 06:49:24 PM
How do you set the timezone to server timezone? Do you set the offset to "0" ?

Are you viewing it as a registered user or guest?

Both.

Say a server is located in Dallas, but you live in Toronto.

Under general settings, there's an option called Server timezone, which you can set to any time zone. Normally you'd set this to match Dallas (where the server is) and compensate for local time by adding adjusting "Overall time offset". This would give you the correct local time.

However, I noticed if you set "Server timezone" to Toronto, and "Overall time offset" to 0, it also gives you the correct local time.

Kill Em All

Local time being Toronto or Dallas? If you mean Toronto, then yeah, thats normal.

My Site: KEAGaming.com

Manual Installation of Mods
Prevent Spam and Forum Attacks
Please do not PM or email me for support unless offered, help should be publicly displayed to others.

Advertisement: