Main Menu

installing mods error

Started by pokerpassion, August 14, 2010, 06:40:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pokerpassion

hello.
if i try to install some mods i got erros like this:

Type     Action     Description
*    1.    Execute Modification    ./Themes/default/languages/Modifications.english.php    Test successful
      1.    Add Before    ./Themes/default/languages/Modifications.english.php    Test successful
   2.    Execute Modification    ./Themes/default/languages/Modifications.english-utf8.php    Skipping file
*    3.    Execute Modification    ./Themes/default/index.template.php    Test failed
      1.    Add After    ./Themes/default/index.template.php    Test failed
      2.    Replace    ./Themes/default/index.template.php    Test successful
   4.    Extract File    ./Themes/default/warning.gif    
   5.    Extract File    ./warning.gif    
   6.    Extract File    ./Themes/default/images/warning.gif    
   7.    Extract File    ./Themes/default/css//regbar2.css    

with test failed.
can someone tell me how to fix some kind of errors so i can install that mod?
thanks

gbsothere

Whenever you get a "test failed" on a particular file, it usually means that some other mod has edited it or, as I've discovered quite often, that there is a bit of "white space" where a string has been moved over a bit that causes the Package Manager not to be able to find the string.

This is what I do (and it's just my own method; others have their own solutions):  I save a copy of the file that's failing from my server onto my desktop.  I use the mod's parsing instructions to place the edit in it manually.  Then I upload a fresh file from my SMF's zip, go ahead and install the mod, then upload the file I edited. This way, any other mod that has already edited that file will continue to function as it should, along with the new mod (since all the edits will be there).

Some advise going ahead with the installation and editing the file afterward, but I personally don't push past big "red" warnings.   ;)
My apologies, but I am taking a break from accepting PM requests for support.  If I am not currently assisting you, please do not ask as long as this notice is posted.  Thank you.

I Don't Want To Grow Old Alone

It has been proven that Steely Dan reduces the occurrence of road rage, according to an independent study.

A reminder about admin / ftp passwords etc.

kat

BACKUP BEFORE INSTALLING ANY MODS!!!!

gbsothere

Quote from: K@ on August 14, 2010, 12:02:36 PM
BACKUP BEFORE INSTALLING ANY MODS!!!!

You're right.  I should put that in my sig, since I always forget to say it.   ;)
My apologies, but I am taking a break from accepting PM requests for support.  If I am not currently assisting you, please do not ask as long as this notice is posted.  Thank you.

I Don't Want To Grow Old Alone

It has been proven that Steely Dan reduces the occurrence of road rage, according to an independent study.

A reminder about admin / ftp passwords etc.

kat

I just meandered by and thought "OO! Might be worth reminding pokerpassion about that, coz it sure can save some headaches, later.  ;)

Advertisement: