News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

Adding a favicon which appears in address bar, bookmarks

Started by Joazo, August 24, 2010, 05:50:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joazo

How do I add a favicon (icon) that appears in adresss bar, bookmarks , tabs etc?

Reefie

I did it by adding a mod,then uploading ico file to ftp can't remember name of mod but do a search on mod section for favicon

A world without a reef is a world in chaos

willemjan

If you have placed your favicon.ico file in a location other than the current web directory (relative to your web page) or the root directory, you have to help your visitors' browser locate the favicon file by specifying it with a tag like the following in the <head> section of your web page.

<link rel="shortcut icon" href="/favicon.ico" type="image/x-icon" />

You should replace "/favicon.ico" in the above example with the actual location of your favicon.ico file, for example, "/images/favicon.ico" if you have placed it in your "/images/" directory.

This step is optional if you have put your "favicon.ico" file in the standard locations, that is, in the same directory as the web page or in the root directory of your website. Otherwise you will need to modify all your existing web pages to take advantage of the "favicon.ico" facility.

Source: http://www.thesitewizard.com/archive/favicon.shtml

2babies=tired

Use a favicon maker if you're not sure what you're doing. Like this one http://www.favicongenerator.com/ or just search google for favicon maker/generator.

Upload the favicon.ico image to your root directory (i.e public_html directory or some are called htdocs) then check it's working by entering your full website url with /favicon.ico at the end.

Joazo

I don't get it 100%.

1. I should put the favicon.ico in the FTP Root folder?
2. add this : <link rel="shortcut icon" href="/favicon.ico" type="image/x-icon" /> to which file and where in the file?

And that's it?

gbsothere

Joazo, even though a mod isn't really needed, there is one available:

http://custom.simplemachines.org/mods/index.php?mod=702

(It has a "no longer supported" message but you can still install it with your package manager and it works fine.)

Your image needs to be 16 x 16 and saved in the .ICO format (name it "favicon.ico").  Place it in your forum's root.

(Again, the mod isn't normally necessary, but if you don't want to fool with the coding, yourself, you can simply install it with the package manager for RC3, upload your image, refresh your browser and it should appear.)

:)
My apologies, but I am taking a break from accepting PM requests for support.  If I am not currently assisting you, please do not ask as long as this notice is posted.  Thank you.

I Don't Want To Grow Old Alone

It has been proven that Steely Dan reduces the occurrence of road rage, according to an independent study.

A reminder about admin / ftp passwords etc.

Joazo

@gbsothere

I have already tried to install this mod you mentinoed. And I got errors in the installation (I have about 25 mods installed in the forum, quess they cause conflicts)

Without using the MOD, All I have to do is to put the 16x16 .ICO Format image in the FTP Root then refresh my browser and it will work?

xenovanis

Quote from: Joazo on August 24, 2010, 03:44:34 PM
Without using the MOD, All I have to do is to put the 16x16 .ICO Format image in the FTP Root then refresh my browser and it will work?

That should work. If you bookmark your site, close your browser and reopen it again, the favicon should show up.
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results."

gbsothere

Quote from: Joazo on August 24, 2010, 03:44:34 PM
@gbsothere

I have already tried to install this mod you mentinoed. And I got errors in the installation (I have about 25 mods installed in the forum, quess they cause conflicts)

I'm sorry you had trouble and, as xenovanis said, it should.  Most browser, nowadays, will look for "favicon.ico" and, if it's in your root, it should be found.  I use the mod, simply because my domain roots are used for other things and have their own favicons and I can specify between my forum's favicon and my domain's favicon with the mod but again, it's hardly worth the effort if it's a hassle.   ;)
My apologies, but I am taking a break from accepting PM requests for support.  If I am not currently assisting you, please do not ask as long as this notice is posted.  Thank you.

It has been proven that Steely Dan reduces the occurrence of road rage, according to an independent study.

gbsothere

Joazo

Btw I just noticed,
To make it update on the bookmarks you have to remove it from the bookmarks and then re-add it.
Tested on firefox latest version and chrome latest version. Browser restart didn't make it update.

Advertisement: