News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

Some problems with forum, after hosting "failure" or smth like that...

Started by frozenas, September 05, 2010, 01:52:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

frozenas

Hi everyone. My hosting has failed something and was crashed, or something like that. But not hacked. I don't know, and have no possibility to find out, what exatly has happen. Anyway, I'm getting this error, hosting guy claims, that it's not his problem, it's my problem. Where should i look for the problem?
http://img843.imageshack.us/img843/8420/90684075.png.

kat

Internal error could be almost anything, I'm afraid.

As you'll see, here: http://www.checkupdown.com/status/E500.html

Your host sounds...er... ******.

Are all the files where they ought to be?

Silly question... Do you have a recent backup?

frozenas

Nop, unfortunently i do not have a recent backup. :/ That's the problem. I've just set up the website like 2-3 days before the event occurred, so i wanted to test everything for about a week, and then do the backup.
And yes, files are in place, lol.

Hm. So basically, all i can do is just start setting up the website from scratch? All those 40-60 plugins (don't recall the final number), all those edits and everything, because of my host failure?...

xenovanis

Open a ticket with your host first, maybe they can solve this.

In addition, you might want to check filepermissions for your forum files and folders. Folders should be at 755 and files at 644.

How do I chmod? / what is chmod?
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results."

frozenas

Well, as i said - they claim, that this is not their fault.

As for file permissions, some folders must be 777, they are that.
Other folders are at 755.
And files, different from needs are 666, 755 or 777.
They've been the same before the strange thing's happen, so this is not that fault. :/

Anyway, thanks for help.

xenovanis

Check your folders on server to see if there are any newly created .htaccess files in them.

Also, change the files on 666 to 644. I recently learned 666 is a securityrisk  ;)
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results."

frozenas

I've only those files at 666, which are neccesary, some plugins requires that on particular plugin files.

As for htaccess files, just checked. Seems like there's no new files. I even recopied .htaccess files from the package folder on my computer, so they are fresh from now on. Not working yet though. :/

kat

Adish - (F.L.A.M.E.R)

It is not always the permission for Internal Server error. It could be that your MySQL server is not configured properly or your apache has not started properly. Your best bet is to concern your host if the permissions don't work well.

It could also be due to file ownerships.

Kays

What are the errors in your site error log?

Those might give us a better idea of where the problem is.

If at first you don't succeed, use a bigger hammer. If that fails, read the manual.
My Mods

frozenas

I'd rather not to give the url to public, since i don't want to uncover my personality to a few possible visitors to this site. No offense. I can send a pm though, just please ask. Sorry about that.

As for error log - nothing. It's clean.

As for MySQL, my Joomla installation is working well. As for the ownership, seems like everything is owned by my user name in the ssh program. As it should be.

kat

frozenas

Not really, DNS is the same, hosting place is the same. Path wasn't changed actually.
So I'm not changing anything.

kat

Trouble is, that error message is a kind of "Catch-all". It doesn't really, tell us anything other than "It's broken".

Anything in the server error-logs?

Have you been to your site's cpanel and tried repairing the database?

(I doubt it IS the database, but it's worth a try.)

frozenas

Yea, tried repairing the database 2 times, if I'm correct. Might be more.

As for server's error logs, it's only accessible to the administrator. I've only access to the site's error logs, which are empty. :/

kat

Logic says to get the Admin to have a look, then.

As I said, without a link, we're kinda blind, with this.  :(

frozenas

PM'ed the link. Sorry for that, as i described in above post, why did i do that.
Thanks.

frozenas

frozenas

I managed to get something, somehow.

[DATE] [error] [client IP] SoftException in Application.cpp:601: Directory "/home/username/public_html/forum" is writeable by group
[Date] [error] [client IP] File does not exist: /home/username/public_html/500.shtml

Only these two errors came up...

xenovanis

I think you'll need to chmod the folder holding your forum to 755 or 750. Seems now it's writable by group/world (777?) and that is witholding the serverconfiguration from loading it, as a securitymeasure.

frozenas

Chmodded the folder from 777, to 755.
Thanks it's working now! However, i do not iunderstand how that could've affected the forum. Is there any kind of self-defense system or something?

xenovanis

Something on your server is preventing folders chmodded to 777 from accessing. This is a securitysetting. You might want to check for other folders chmodded to 777 and change that to 755 as well.

Glad it's fixed  :)

frozenas

Well, that's a little bit strange, as some plugins requires folders to be 777, and not 755. :/

Anyway, it's fixed and working now. ;) Thanks for your help.

xenovanis

Actually, they require to be writable by SMF. Which could be 755 if the server is configured properly.

frozenas

Some configs have been changed i guess, since 777 is not working for one of the plugins also.

Anyway, it seems to work with 755...

Advertisement: