News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

OpenID provider based on SMF

Started by albertzeyer, July 14, 2010, 01:21:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

albertzeyer

Is that really a problem for a mod?

There are other projects which come with a bunch of packages with very different licences. Take Linux distributions as such an example. E.g. in Debian/Ubuntu, all the Debian code (apt-get, all the scripts, a bunch of patches and much more) is GPL while some of the packages are not. For example, I have seen Linux distributions which come together with proprietary drivers or open drivers which are not under GPL. (Well, the driver example might not be the best example as there have been heavy discussions about this and it remains a bit unclear.) Or there might be some tools installed which have some GPL-incompatible licence. The point is that they are just using each other (or can be used together) but they are all separate things.

But I am not a lawyer, so please correct me if SMF + my mod would be a different case. (And it would be nice if you could explain the difference. :))

Oya

i dont really get it either i just know that ive read some stuff that gpl mods cant be distributed for smf if they share any code

Kindred

well, I never said that we WOULD incorporate it... and if we did, we probably would use our own code.

As for the mod itself...  well, we're not distributing it or condoning its distribution... so it's up to the actual author and distributor to deal with license complications. (he's not violating the smf license)
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

nend

That is nice, does it work with other SMF forums that have OpenID enabled?

I believe though OpenID for SMF however needs allot of work, we should be able to pick which OpenID servers we would allow to validate. This is not the case. But maybe you can make that happen with your mod. Make it where it enhances the basic OpenID on SMF, because I don't want to authorize any user from any other SMF site. They can be spambots.

But however I am very interested in this mod. Being able to be my own OpenID provider, I will be called SMFID, lol. Providing OpenIDs for SMF forums. :D

albertzeyer

Quote from: nend on September 07, 2010, 11:42:15 AM
That is nice, does it work with other SMF forums that have OpenID enabled?

It should. I don't know much other SMF forums so I haven't tried it yet. I think this forum here does not allow OpenID logins, does it?

I believe though OpenID for SMF however needs allot of work, we should be able to pick which OpenID servers we would allow to validate.

Hm, not sure on this. Do other servers do that? I thought if a site allows OpenID logins, they just allow any possible OpenID login.

Many people might have their personal homepage and have installed some OpenID endpoint there for them (so they can use their homepage as OpenID login everywhere). You can easily download such software which provides such an OpenID endpoint. Actually, the code I have based my work on was such a system. Check out phpMyOpenID.

Quotebecause I don't want to authorize any user from any other SMF site.

Hehe, why not? :)

They can be spambots.

Yes. That problem is always there.

But the OpenID login on SMF (and on most other sites) is just a login, like an alternative to enter your password. You still have your own local account on sites which allow OpenID logins. Also SMF itself does it like that, i.e. an OpenID URL is connected to some user account of that SMF.

Advertisement: